PDA

View Full Version : Short end of the stick @Fantasy9ball!!!

Drake
09-16-2002, 12:15 PM
I got the short end of the stick at Fantasy 9 ball. My choice for the IBC championship was none other that Bustamante. I was pushed for time last week and made two quick picks and today I find out Bustamante was not even scheduled to play!!!! I hope this doesn't happen at the OPEN when I actually PAY to play fantasy 9 ball. Especially, Nobody knows how many of UPA players are going to play in the OPEN. I have enjoyed playing but choosing a player not scheduled to play pissed me off a little bit.

09-16-2002, 02:12 PM
I picked Bustamante as well. We get a player of equal monetary value in his place. Unfortunately that player was Strickland and he lost in the first round, LOL.

Keith Buck

Warren_Lushia
09-16-2002, 02:24 PM
guys, take it easy!! you'll be happy to know that if you picked bustamante, you were given johnny archer as a substitute, and johnny came in second.

this was all listed in the fantasy9ball forums before the event even started!

if you wanna feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for me, i picked strickland!

warren..

TomBrooklyn
09-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Warren:

Can you advise how Archer was selected to replace Bustamente, and at what point during the game was the replacement made, and when and where it was announced?

I went to the site and could not find any information about the weekends activities or results. Are they posted yet? Do you know the link?

Thanks,Tom

Warren_Lushia
09-16-2002, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Warren:

Can you advise how Archer was selected to replace Bustamente, and at what point during the game was the replacement made, and when and where it was announced?

I went to the site and could not find any information about the weekends activities or results. Are they posted yet? Do you know the link?

Thanks,Tom <hr></blockquote>

the results are not posted yet, cause they are still tallying them up.

if you wanna know the substitutions, go to the forums at the fantasy9ball site and read the thread -- i think it is called "no shows in nashville" or something, anyway it is one of the very recent threads. as to the exact way the subs were picked you have to ask mike or brady. i think they gave the next cheapest pick, but you'll have to ask them to be sure.

warren..

Drake
09-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Thank You....Thank You Very Much!!!!
....Drake

Tom_In_Cincy
09-16-2002, 03:54 PM
At least Strickland showed up... my two picks.. Jeremy Jones and Niels F. were "no shows"

AzHousePro
09-16-2002, 05:55 PM
That is exactly how I came up with the substitutions. I picked the next lowest priced player as the sub.

The biggest problem here is that when the player list went up on the site, Bustamante was on the list of players. The IBC did not know about the event in the Philippines until the day the event got started. Before that, they expected Bustamante, Corey and Mika to all be at the event.

I posted the replacement players for the event on Friday so that there would not be any confusion. I guess we should have posted them on the main site instead of the forums. My bad.

Mike

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Warren_Lushia:</font><hr>
if you wanna know the substitutions, go to the forums at the fantasy9ball site and read the thread -- i think it is called "no shows in nashville" or something, anyway it is one of the very recent threads. as to the exact way the subs were picked you have to ask mike or brady. i think they gave the next cheapest pick, but you'll have to ask them to be sure.
warren.. <hr></blockquote>

09-17-2002, 01:52 AM
Well, that sucks! I thought that if you picked someone that didn't show up that you were just out of luck. I picked Archer and am pleased with his showing, but every other stiff that went on Bustamantes band wagon made the same enlightened pick without believing in Archer. I don't think this is ready for putting real money into yet (if ever). Billiard Dave

Warren_Lushia
09-17-2002, 02:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Well, that sucks! I thought that if you picked someone that didn't show up that you were just out of luck. I picked Archer and am pleased with his showing, but every other stiff that went on Bustamantes band wagon made the same enlightened pick without believing in Archer. I don't think this is ready for putting real money into yet (if ever). Billiard Dave <hr></blockquote>

i can understand why someone who picked johnny on their own could be frustrated knowing bustamante was probably a heavy favorite and all the bustamante fans also got johnny.

but you have to realize this is going to be a problem in every event. it has been a problem in each one so far. this last event lost 3 of the favorites because of another event (this thing in the philippines). if every user who picked bustamante, immonen, or deuel was just simply out of luck and it had been a paid event, i think alot more people would have been upset.

unfortunately this is a reality with pro tournaments. players are under NO obligation to show up. to give fantasy9ball players enough of a chance to pick their players, mike needs to have a player list by 5 or 7 days before the event. its not his fault if he is supplied with incorrect information.

this event in the philippines was apparently known about for some time. in fact some filipinos were already talking about mika being there on wednesday. so this opens up the possibility of in future events of people having inside info to use to their advantage.

and don't forget -- firstly johnny was one of the very top picks. it wasn't like you had an inside track. and by bustamante, immonen, and deuel not showing up, they made things easier on johnny and all the other players there. your belief in johnny aside, he may have lost in the first round if he had drawn one of those players don't forget.

anways, there are a lot of pool fans playing. you don't win by just picking the favorite. you need to get the winner (or maybe second) AND use your insight to spend the rest of your budget the best way!! thats the fun part!! and in case your wondering, i got ZERO points for my pick of strickland who was the most expensive player, and got all my points from my man sandor tot!! which you think was the harder pick, sandor tot or johnny archer?!

in other fantasy sports, injuries are a concern, and you get nothing for those players. but that is all part of the game. not knowing whether a player who is supposed to be there is gonna show up or not is not part of the game!! shaq and kobe can't decide they don't wanna play or wanna play another place that day. you buy shaq you take the injury risk. you buy rasheed wallace you take the risk of his stats being affected by his temper. if you buy bustamante you shouldn't be punished cause there was a conflicting event somewhere else in the world that no one knew before!! that has nothing to do with the game!

fantasy9ball.com has given away already about $3000 in prizes for FREE events which didn't cost you a cent! the first paid event costs 6 freaking dollars! i love the game myself, and yeah i get frustrated too, but its all part of the game!

warren..&lt;-- can provide most constructive criticism than "this sucks"

Patrick
09-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Both my picks Jeremy Jones and Oliver Ortmann didn't enter the tournament! The last tournament David Matlock didn't enter the tournament and Santos Sambajon lost in his first match against the winner of the tournament!
Last tournament I thought the bad luck can't get any worse, and now both my picks didn't enter.
First I was robbed from my Predator BK and now this. I wonder how much bad luck I would have if I would play in tournaments, maybe I wouldn't even get to shoot!

Jeremy had 100% biorhythms, he would have won easy. You can see my tournament predictions on this page: <a target="_blank" href=http://vp3.0catch.com/biorhythms.htm>http://vp3.0catch.com/biorhythms.htm</a>

Patrick

Ross
09-17-2002, 11:11 AM
No one could have done worse than I did! I picked Strickland who lost his first match 2-0 against Sandor Tot (!?) and Nick Van den Berg, who had the good luck to draw Archer and also lost his 1st match 2-0. Ah, my dreams of playing on my new Gabriels pool table slowly fade... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

AzHousePro
09-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Very well put. I don't think I could have explained it any better myself.

From what I understand, Mary Garrity with the IBC tour did not know that Bustamante, Corey and Mika were not showing up until the Thursday before the event started.

I am sorry that some are frustrated with the system, but we are doing the best with what we have available. We could wait until another Camel tour is formed so that we would have a much better chance to know what players would be there but I seriously doubt that is going to happen anytime soon.

Mike