PDA

View Full Version : And age old question

Amanda
09-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Or perhaps the topic should be an old age question?
Here goes:

At what age or age range would say its too late for a person to work towards actually hitting their best potential? Would you need to have started at a young age? Perhaps in your teens? 20s? 30s? Or is it one of those things so long as you have decent eyesight and time to dedicate towards the game you can achieve that peak what your's may be?
The reason I ask is that I started to seriously play pool just under 2 years ago. I was told I had good natural talent and I should develop it. Since I do love the sport I am doing just that. There are short term goals I've been achieving as I go along, however I wonder what limitations if any I should put on long term goals? As a little FYI I recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif
Some of the short term goals I've achieved are attaining SL 7 in the APA, top 20% average in my BCA league, finish in the top 5 in CAT/Planet-Pool tours.
Next short term goals are top 10% in BCA and finish with wins in CAT/Planet-Pool.
Long term goals. I would like to make it to the pro circuit, that's the one that worries me if I may have waited to long to obtain, I know the competition is rough and most of the other women started at much earlier ages.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback
Amanda

silverbullet
09-16-2002, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr> Or perhaps the topic should be an old age question?
Here goes:

At what age or age range would say its too late for a person to work towards actually hitting their best potential? Would you need to have started at a young age? Perhaps in your teens? 20s? 30s? Or is it one of those things so long as you have decent eyesight and time to dedicate towards the game you can achieve that peak what your's may be?
The reason I ask is that I started to seriously play pool just under 2 years ago. I was told I had good natural talent and I should develop it. Since I do love the sport I am doing just that. There are short term goals I've been achieving as I go along, however I wonder what limitations if any I should put on long term goals? As a little FYI I recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif
Some of the short term goals I've achieved are attaining SL 7 in the APA, top 20% average in my BCA league, finish in the top 5 in CAT/Planet-Pool tours.
Next short term goals are top 10% in BCA and finish with wins in CAT/Planet-Pool.
Long term goals. I would like to make it to the pro circuit, that's the one that worries me if I may have waited to long to obtain, I know the competition is rough and most of the other women started at much earlier ages.

Amanda <hr></blockquote>

All great goals and achievements so far Amanda!!!!Dont see any reason you should put any limitations on yourself!!!!
WTG

Laura

MikeM
09-16-2002, 01:17 PM
Amanda,

To use one of my favorite movie quotes, "It's not the years, it's the miles." -Indiana Jones.

Put another way, the advantage to someone who started earlier is the number of repetitions that they had while you were doing something else. Since pool and most other sports rely on muscle memory numerous repetitions are crucial. If you have the time and energy to put in to practice, you can make up some of those reps as long as your practice is focused and well structured. You can't afford to waste any practice sessions.

Since pool doesn't require a high level of fitness (although it helps) it should be ageless. Look at the many men pros who play at a high level into their 50s and beyond.

And if you have the talent - and you do, I've seen you shoot - it shouldn't matter too much how much of a headstart other players have. If you work at it you'll get there.

I hope you didn't start too late. I also celebrated the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday this year. I've been playing about the same amount of time as you have. My goals aren't as lofty as yours, but I hope I can still reach my highest potential one of these days.

MM

Fred Agnir
09-16-2002, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr> At what age or age range would say its too late for a person to work towards actually hitting their best potential? <hr></blockquote>

Next.

Fred &lt;~~~ or maybe 12

Karatemom
09-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Hi again Amanda. I believe the younger you are, the easier it is to understand the game as time passes. For instance, my 10 yr old son shoots very well for his age. He understands the rails and shoots very loose. My hubby started him on a table when he was about 2 or 3, just throwing the balls around on a table. Just in the last 6 months or so has he really begun to shoot again.

There are young men that shoot at our local ph who started very young as well. Now that they've grown up, kind of, LOL, they've each taken off Vegas and other big tourneys. They grew up with pool and understand most concepts of the game.

The one disadvantage, I believe, to starting very young, is disinterest. Kids change their mind these days more than they change their socks. Our son has yet to change his mind about this game; I believe he's in it for the long run.

My hubby has been playing this game for 30+ years. I don't believe there are many aspects of this game that he doesn't know. This is to his advantage as he sees things that other very good players don't. I believe he started when he was about 14 or 15.

Me, however, started about 11 years ago, would have been 22 then, then took a 10 year layoff, and just now getting back into the swing of things. I have also been told that my mechanics are very good and should pursue this sport further. The problems I have are perfectionism and impatience. When I hit something bad, or likewise, I constantly analyze it. If I were to just say, forget about it, and shoot til I get it, then maybe things would be easier for me. I'm trying to do so, but I'm old enough that I'm set in my ways and you can't teach an old dog new tricks, right? LOL.

I honestly believe it is much easier for a younger person, who can adapt to change, has the time and energy to put in this game, to further their ability in this sport than it is for someone who works for a living, has a family to take care of, etc. Or maybe it's just my priorities are in a different order than someone else in my position.

On the other hand, age shouldn't make any difference when it comes to achieving your goals. I believe it depends on your goals. I'm 33 now, and there is one goal, that I will never tell, hahaha, that I do plan on achieving and have no doubt that I can do it. If I thought I was too old to start now, I wouldn't bother.

This is just my opinion, choppy and rambling as it may be. Not feeling so well today, but I'm still going to tonite's tourney, sick or not, LOL.

Heide ~ nah, I'm not addicted to this sport /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-16-2002, 01:55 PM
I would say that it matters most what YOU think. Do YOU think you can improve further? If you believe you can, then you probably can. The only bit of advice that I would give you is to start getting away from the league play and start playing in tournaments. I know I'll offend some here since there are quite a few league players here, but 8-ball leagues are not where you'll find the level of competition that you need to expose yourself to if you're thinking you want to play on the WPBA. Where are you located? I'm sure there is a regional tour not too far from you (unless you're really in the sticks) where you can begin to play in tournaments against better players.

Amanda
09-16-2002, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Joe Bloe:</font><hr> I would say that it matters most what YOU think. Do YOU think you can improve further? If you believe you can, then you probably can. The only bit of advise that I would give you is to start getting away from the league play and start playing in tournaments. I know I'll offend some here since there are quite a few league players here, but 8-ball leagues are not where you'll find the level of competition that you need to expose yourself to if you're thinking you want to play on the WPBA. Where are you located? I'm sure there is a regional tour not too far from you (unless you're really in the sticks) where you can begin to play in tournaments against better players. <hr></blockquote>
I'm in Maryland near DC and there are two tours, one is a pro qualifying the other is not, still very good competition. I play in both and have been slowly moving up in the standing in both.
I started out with the 8ball leagues but found I do love 9 ball, and play in all the tournaments I can get to. We have a local 9 ball tournament here on Wednesdays with some very heavy duty competition, and another local tournament on Sundays which is double elimination, 8 ball on the winners side 9 ball on the one loss side (which I won yesterday /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif) Do I think I can improve? Oh yes I know I have quite alot of improvement left and am contantly working on my weak areas.
My biggest concern in initially making the post is that I am very competitive and very much into goals and ahieving them. In doing so I need to research my limitations if any with regards to goals I set, cuz I don't like making the goals impossible.
As for my league nights of which I currently have two, one BCA and one APA I stick with since both also have tournaments I play in (both 8 and 9 ball) and it keeps me qualified to do so.

09-16-2002, 02:19 PM
You will never know unless you fully commit to your goals. If you are worried about putting much time and effort into an unatainable goal, try giving yourself a time-table in which you'll re-assess your goals. Give yourself, say, 1 year (or whatever you feel comfortable with ... maybe 2 years, whatever) to fully commit yourself to improving your game. When that period of time is up, you can look at where you are, and whether or not you think you can continue to keep commited to take it further. I don't think you're locked in to having to commit to a long term goal. Lock yourself in on a temporary basis, then re-assess when your "term" is up /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif.

SPetty
09-16-2002, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr>At what age or age range would say its too late for a person to work towards actually hitting their best potential?<hr></blockquote>

Next.

Fred &lt;~~~ or maybe 12 <hr></blockquote>Damn!!! Guess I'll just save the money I was going to use on the new Diamond Pro to buy a top notch walker and some Geritol!

Rod
09-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Quote SPetty, Damn!!! Guess I'll just save the money I was going to use on the new Diamond Pro to buy a top notch walker and some Geritol!"

Mine has large baloon tires up front, they move around much easier on carpet. Don't forget the add on rack for you pool acessories and geritol!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
09-16-2002, 03:52 PM
You are only "too old" in this game when you "think you are"

No age limit.. it just takes more time for us old "Dawgs" to change our ways..

09-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Hi Amanda,

"Or perhaps the topic should be an old age question?
Here goes:

The reason I ask is that I started to seriously play pool just under 2 years ago. I was told I had good natural talent and I should develop it. Since I do love the sport I am doing just that. There are short term goals I've been achieving as I go along, however I wonder what limitations if any I should put on long term goals? As a little FYI I recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday

Amanda"

Hi Amanda,

Age is not the only issue in determing your success in pool, you must also have the desire to want to excel amid all of lifes hurdles which keep cropping up along the way such as love, marriage, family, obligations, etc., at whatever time in your life you have cleared all of lifes hurdles then and only then would you be ready for the ultimate success in pool or any other career.

For me age has never been an issue.

I chose a career over pool and have never regretted it.

The career is over, now it's just pool and I also enjoy golf and having the time of my life.

Good luck,

John

Cuemage
09-16-2002, 06:11 PM
Amanda, you can be as good as you want to be without relation to when you started...as long as you are dedicated to improvement, which involves practice, lessons, more practice, competition...etc. I started when I was 17, and am now 34. I improve each year, even though I don't practice, or play very often. I think the answer to your question is within you...not something we can answer.

Just ramblin...

Tha Cuemage

Rod
09-16-2002, 07:13 PM
Hi Amanda,
It's never to late to reach your potential but it may not be good enough to play with the Pro's and believe you can win. I'm not just talking about winning a match or two. I imagine that is a concern. How long do you think it will take to play at that level? My maby not so educated guess might be 7 years or more if it is a steady up hill climb. Ask some of the other ladies how long they have been playing. I'm sure some are quite gifted and that may help answer your question. I think getting to the level your at is great from what I've heard mentioned. Now the real education and learning all of the fine details is going to begin. Compared to say golf, a 4 handicapper is a good solid player but that's miles away from a scratch player or Pro just as a comparison.

I think at a young age we learn much faster. Mostly because of the responsibilities that we all have when we are older. Eye hand cordination IMO is easier to learn and eye sight is critical. Along the way check you progress and keep working on any weak links you have. By all means have fun and if you do reach your goals thats great but if you don't, well you don't. Since you love the game it still will be very rewarding either way. I wish you luck.
BTW I like your name, that was my Great-grandmother's name. I don't think she played pool though!