PDA

View Full Version : Reviewing my new Diamond Pro/Am

Soflasnapper
07-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Finally dumped my troubled Brunswick GC 4 for this Diamond Pro/Am.

It's the classic deeper brown finish, and I got it with green 860 Simonis rather than the blue that is more standard for this make.

4-1/2" corner pocket size, apparently with the rails themselves cut to that size, no obvious shims. A decidedly tight 5" for the side pockets.

It's playing great, although pocketing is aided by the new Simonis for now. Looks great, and I love the detail work, fit and finish.

As with all new 860 cloth, the multi-rail lines run long. Just as I find on other tables, the skidding on the rails makes my normal 3-rail to the pocket line run a diamond long, requiring a diamond-short aim from normal. Quite an adjustment, which I ordinarily wouldn't believe, but I've seen it before when this cloth is new, and I don't attribute it to the table or its rails. Although I've heard the rails ARE more lively, my previously calibrated lag speed came up perfect (put my first try at 1/4" off the rail).

Since it came unwrapped and was subjected to dust in transit or at the factory, the new Super Aramith balls picked up lines of dust, probably from the pockets, until I figure out I should dust them all out. I'm hoping relatively no dust got into the ball return cavity from the balls carrying it in or before.

This is a fine product, and so far I'm only missing some separate area for ball storage when I'm playing with less than 15 balls. A minor complaint, since I'll just use the box the balls came in, and keep it under the ball return box. Other missing features I don't care about include no counters, and no attachments to hold the bridge on the side(s) of the table.

I did not get the Diamond light fixture, and my 4-cone hanging light fixture I had before is doing the lighting job adequately. No doubt it would add handsomely to the overall look and maybe even provide better diffused light, but I thought it an unnecessary extra expense.

I guess the Diamond site will tell me about caring for the finished surfaces, but I was slightly surprised nothing about that came with the table.

Anyone know what's best to use on Diamond rails?

Tony_in_MD
07-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Are the rails dymondwood?

I am sure a soft cloth, with any household pledge like product would be fine on the rails.

dg-in-centralpa
07-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm glad you are playing on this table instead of the Brunswick, maybe I will have a chance to win the CCB tourney come October. Glad you like it.

DG

Soflasnapper
07-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Yes, all the surfaces on the top side of the table are this Dymanwood product. Prolly right on the care tip. Tanks.

Soflasnapper
07-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Not so quick, D! This is the Diamond designed to play most like a Gold Crown, and it's tighter than most of them.

When I get very comfortable on these tight pockets, the GC's will seem like bar table buckets.

Rich R.
07-03-2011, 06:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a fine product, and so far I'm only missing some separate area for ball storage when I'm playing with less than 15 balls. A minor complaint, since I'll just use the box the balls came in, and keep it under the ball return box. Other missing features I don't care about include no counters, and no attachments to hold the bridge on the side(s) of the table. </div></div>
First of all, congrats on the new table. I heard you played some sucker on Friday night but I'm going out of town and won't have internet contact to find out the results. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Some of the Diamonds I've seen with ball returns have a small bin on each side of the ball return box which can be used for extra balls. If yours doesn't have them, I'm wondering why, unless they only come on the Diamond Pro tables.
Brass hooks for holding a bridge can be purchased from most billiard supply companies and they should be easy to install.

Rich R.
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the rails dymondwood?

I am sure a soft cloth, with any household pledge like product would be fine on the rails. </div></div>

I'm not a fan of Pledge. It will make the wood look great but it contains silicone. If you ever have to have any repair work done on the finish, or a total refinishing, that silicone will cause nightmares. Every bit of that silicone would have to be removed before any new finish will bond to the wood.

That Diamond Wood is supposed to be pretty tough stuff. I have to believe a soft cloth, dampened with water, would do the trick.

Tony_in_MD
07-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Did not know about the silicone in Pledge.

Thanks for the info.

07-06-2011, 10:51 AM
For hte most part, Dymondwood is high grade, engineered plywood.

http://supplies.customcutlery.com/dymondwood.htm

I would imagine that you would clean it and care for it like any other wood product.

Eric

Soflasnapper
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks, Eric. Just dusting it with a soft cloth for now, as I don't see it picking up fingerprints or any other shmutz.

(That's a technical term, btw).

Chopstick
07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Eric. Just dusting it with a soft cloth for now, as I don't see it picking up fingerprints or any other shmutz.

</div></div>

Be careful what you use. The die will come out of rails. For the dust, get a hand swiffer with the telescoping handle. A lot of the dust you can reach in the ball return at the end of the table. Be prepared for black spots on your balls from the die coming off the back of the pockets. There is a thread about it over on AZ. They may have fixed it by now. I just sold mine.

Call Brian Miller at Diamond. He can tell you everything you need to know about taking care of it. Another guy to talk to is RealKingCobra over on AZ.

Soflasnapper
07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Eric. Just dusting it with a soft cloth for now, as I don't see it picking up fingerprints or any other shmutz.

</div></div>

Be careful what you use. The die will come out of rails. For the dust, get a hand swiffer with the telescoping handle. A lot of the dust you can reach in the ball return at the end of the table. Be prepared for black spots on your balls from the die coming off the back of the pockets. There is a thread about it over on AZ. They may have fixed it by now. I just sold mine.

Call Brian Miller at Diamond. He can tell you everything you need to know about taking care of it. Another guy to talk to is RealKingCobra over on AZ. </div></div>

Great reminder, as I've now seen the black spots and forgot what they come from. I'll check over there.

Thanks.

Rich R.
07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Phil, I heard a nasty rumor that some chump had the nerve to come in and beat you on your new table. I hope you know, you don't have to play handcuffed and blindfolded just to be polite to a guest.

Scott Lee
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Eric. Just dusting it with a soft cloth for now, as I don't see it picking up fingerprints or any other shmutz.

</div></div>

Call Brian Miller at Diamond. He can tell you everything you need to know about taking care of it. Another guy to talk to is RealKingCobra over on AZ. </div></div>

Great reminder, as I've now seen the black spots and forgot what they come from. I'll check over there.

Thanks. </div></div>

Phil...AFAIK, Diamond still has not resolved the problem with the dye coming off the pockets onto the balls. Check your pm's.

Scott Lee

Soflasnapper
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phil, I heard a nasty rumor that some chump had the nerve to come in and beat you on your new table. I hope you know, you don't have to play handcuffed and blindfolded just to be polite to a guest. </div></div>

Setting the trap, Rich, setting the trap!

Rich R.
07-19-2011, 07:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phil, I heard a nasty rumor that some chump had the nerve to come in and beat you on your new table. I hope you know, you don't have to play handcuffed and blindfolded just to be polite to a guest. </div></div>

Setting the trap, Rich, setting the trap!
</div></div>
I had that feeling. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif