PDA

View Full Version : managing handicapps, another dumb ?

bluewolf
09-16-2002, 07:12 PM
I want to do the right thing so would like some feedback either here or pvt.

I believe that sandbagging is when a person plays intentionally lower than their true ability to keep a lower handicapp. I am not doing that cuz I always play my best.

Something else is bothering me too. 3 years ago I played apa as a good 2.I did not play for 3 years but was still in their computer as a 2.In between I purchased my own pool table and studied a lot about strategy. When I started playing pool again, I was quite a bit better, tho still listed as a 2. My captain knows my skill level because he has watched me and played games with me (he is a 4).Having me as a 2 enables him to also play all his higher ranked players. If he plays me against 5s,6s,and 7s most of the time so my handicap wont go up, is that cheating?

Sorry for the experienced people here if this is a dumb question.It feels like cheating to me but some people say it isnt . It is what they call 'managing your handicap'.

any expertise would be appreciated.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
09-16-2002, 08:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> is that cheating? some people say it is what they call 'managing your handicap'.<hr></blockquote>It is absolutely not cheating or sandbagging unless you don't play the best you can. I would guess, or at least hope, that your captain is interested in managing the team to achieve the most wins, not managing your handicap.

I would consider it a plus in a way for you because you get to play more games. If you played another 2, the most games you could play would be three (best 2 out of 3). If you play a 7, the least amount of games you will play is five. (The other player must win at least five games.)

A potential downside is you might get discouraged if you only get to play against opponents who are so much stronger than you that you hardly ever win a game. That depends on your attitude, everyone is different. It can give you a chance to practice your strategy and safety play also. In many handicapped tournements, matchups between players of widely varying skill happen all the time.

Good luck.

May the force be with you.

Try to get to the Open.

Rich R.
09-17-2002, 04:35 AM
Bluewolf, maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that you are all hung up about being an SL-2. There is nothing wrong with being an SL-2 and if you are a strong 2, the day will come when you can help your team dramatically.
It is definitely not cheating, if your captain puts you up against higher level players, as long as you play "YOUR" best.
When you should move up to an SL-3, or higher, you will. Don't be in such a hurry. Just keep practicing and playing and enjoying the game.
JMHO. Rich R.

bluewolf
09-17-2002, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> Bluewolf, maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that you are all hung up about being an SL-2. There is nothing wrong with being an SL-2 and if you are a strong 2, the day will come when you can help your team dramatically.
It is definitely not cheating, if your captain puts you up against higher level players, as long as you play "YOUR" best.
When you should move up to an SL-3, or higher, you will. Don't be in such a hurry. Just keep practicing and playing and enjoying the game.
JMHO. Rich R. <hr></blockquote>

you are so right rich, i am hung up on the handicaps.and toms idea about playing safe,well i love playing defensive pool.my defense game is very good already from practicing,observation and picking a really difficult safety shot and practicing over and over till i can do it every time. in practice i have ball speed drills,straight in drills, cut shot drills and simple position drills.in practice can generally (when not playing highs and lows)knock in 6-7 balls (50%) in a row.ww could do at least 20 i guess so i am not really bragging.

sometimes i think the whole handicap system allows my brain to work against me. i catch myself thinking when playing a 5,say 'i am not supposed to beat him so i will play defense'.so i am allowing my brain to mess up my offensive game, too.

thanks to both of you for your feedback.sometimes i talk too much but i do play pool everyday too.

Laura

ChrisW
09-17-2002, 07:42 AM
In a lot of your posts you keep saying that you are not supposed to beat a SL-4,5,6,7. This may be true in an even race but not in 2-4, 2-5, 2-6,2-7 races. You have a SL so you can beat these guys.
I am a SL-7 and if I thought for a minute that I was supposed to beat a lower SL I would screw up from the lag. If you go into a match knowing you have a chance to win then you truly will have a chance and then your SL-2 will disappear forever.

Also I agree with everybody who says if you play your best then you are not cheating or sandbagging.
Good luck
Chris