PDA

View Full Version : Got it made--IN AMERICA!

Sev
07-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Who says you cant find products made in the good ol USA?

This entrepreneur has opened a store in NY the deals only with products that are made in the USA. He started out with 50 products and now is carrying over 3000.

I would def support this business.
Might be a good franchise to invest in.

Unless the decides to bring a product discrimination charge.

<span style="color: #000000"><span style='font-size: 20pt'>Got it made - in America</span>
'USA only' store does a booming biz
By CYNTHIA R. FAGEN
Last Updated: 7:13 AM, July 4, 2011
Posted: 1:30 AM, July 4, 2011

More Print
They're 100 percent American-made, every dang product.
A hardworking upstate welder got so fed up with losing work to overseas competition and being forced to lay off his own relatives that he decided to forge a new business -- a sprawling, Walmart-style store that peddles products entirely made in America.
Store owner Mark Andol says his proudly named Made in America business is defying hard economic times and thriving in Elma, near Buffalo. It's become a must-see for the tour-bus hordes heading to and from Niagara Falls.
"I always supported America. So I wanted to try something a little crazy," said Andol, 47, a married father of four. "People told me it would never work. No one wanted to buy American anymore."

DAN CAPPELLAZZO
PAY-TRIOT: Upstate merchant Mark Andol's Made in America store is booming despite the ailing economy.
But at the grand opening of his store last year, 800 people stormed through the doors.
"Everyone was shaking my hand and crying," Andol said. "People lost trust in the system. This gives them hope."
His patriotic store's shelves are crammed with products such as old-fashioned maple syrup tapped from US trees and bottled in jars made in America. There are wood-crafted educational toys from Pennsylvania, shrink-wrapped in American-made plastic.
A pair of Texas-brand jeans made in North Carolina goes for $30. US-made toilet paper is 50 cents a roll.
Sales have doubled since the store opened, Andol says, although he keeps the exact numbers close to his vest -- which is American-made, of course.
"When we opened the store, we had 50 products, some manufactured by ourselves, like a campfire ring," Andol said. "Now, we have 3,000 items, and I'm looking to expand it to 6,000.
"When you go through my doors, I've done the homework. I have done the research for you," said Andol, noting that he and his staff thoroughly check that nothing "is foreign-made."
Unlike some manufacturers, who can legally claim that their product is "made in America," even if some of the parts are imported, Andol said such items won't be sold in his store. Every stitch or screw or raw material has to be from here, he said.
Andol said he hopes to eventually open stores in Nashville, Tampa and somewhere in Texas.
"I think I could open a small [store] in New York City, too," he added.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/g...#ixzz1R8ixiGfl
http://www.npr.org/2011/06/22/137301...ism?ft=1&f=100

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/22/137301...=1&f=100&lt;br /&gt;June 22, 2011

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>'Made In America' Store Capitalizes On Patriotism</span>
by DANIEL ROBISON
Dozens of tour buses have added the tiny town of Elma, N.Y., as a stop this year. On their way to scenic sites like Niagara Falls, these tourists are squeezing in a visit to the Made in America store.

Shop owner Mark Andol climbs aboard a bus and tells the riders that shopping here is a patriotic act.

"When you walk through them doors, I guarantee when you're shopping the homework's been done it's 100 percent made-in-America products. Made in this country by American workers, and the money stays in our economy. So, enjoy yourself," he says.

Customers pour into the spacious building, which used to be a Ford dealership. American flags and patriotic quotes adorn the walls.

Gloria Giesa of Vaselboro, Maine, says she always looks for "Made in the USA" labels when shopping. But this store saves her the trouble.

"Makes me think of when I was young and everything was American. And that's the way it should be," she says.

But Giesa admits she doesn't always go with American products.

"You buy the best deal you can find. That's what it's all about. [For] some people, every penny counts. And if you can save 50 cents, that's a lot," she says.

Andol sees the store as a way for American vendors to gain traction in a retail environment where they've been priced out by overseas competition.

A Personal Battle

For him, it's a personal battle. A few years ago, his welding company nearly went out of business after losing major contracts to foreign manufacturers. He laid off nearly half of his 70-person workforce.

EnlargeDaniel Robison for NPR
Customers are eager to shop the store's 3,000 American-made products.
"These people want to work. You have no work for them. Yet it's going overseas and you think, 'Jeez, these people want to put food on their table. They're willing to work.' There just wasn't enough work to keep them," Andol says.

In the beginning, Andol admits, opening the store was more of an idea than a business plan. It stocked just 50 items.

Now, customers are snapping up its medley of more than 3,000 products. You won't find everything. There are no can openers, coffee makers or just about anything electronic. Prices are competitive. Jeans for $30, and $14 will buy a T-shirt that says, "China is a long drive to work."

Store manager Rob Weylan says, "50-cent toilet paper. American-made toilet paper. Fifty cents a roll. We're better than the dollar store."

Weylan makes sure each product is 100 percent American, right down to the glue in the packaging. Vendors have to say where every component of their product is made and sign letters of authenticity.

Checking The Goods

This is necessary, Weylan says, because loopholes in Federal Trade Commission rules allow many items to be labeled "Made the USA" when it's only half-true or better. Weylan says he spends hours verifying manufacturer's claims.

"If, for some reason, something were to slip through the cracks, we take the product out of the store, burn it, or whatever we do to it, because they lied to us," he says.

So far, principle hasn't turned into a profit. Any money the store has made has gone into acquiring new products. Sales have doubled from this time last year, thanks to word of mouth and visits by out-of-towners.

Franchisees are already planning to open more Made in America stores, envisioning it as the next Wal-Mart without the foreign goods.

Here is another.
http://www.madeinusaproductsstore.com/</span>

LWW
07-05-2011, 07:02 AM
We have "THE ALL AMERICAN STORE" (http://www.allamericanstore.us/pages/About-Us.html) locally, just opened their second store.

What's truly amazing is how close most of the stuff is in price to the Chinese crap most people flock to.

I just bought a 100 foot pro grade hose for the detail shop for $31.75 ... a crappo Chinese hose was $29.95 at Lowe's.