PDA

View Full Version : Yet more teacher's union corruption and fraud!

LWW
07-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Is it really that unreasonable to expect at least mediocre educational results from the most expensive educational system on Earth?

The teacher's unions seem to think it is:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 11pt'>Across Atlanta Public Schools, staff worked feverishly in secret to transform testing failures into successes.

A state investigation found former Atlanta schools superintendent Beverly Hall and her top aides either ignored or destroyed evidence of test cheating across the district.

Teachers and principals erased and corrected mistakes on students’ answer sheets.

Area superintendents silenced whistle-blowers and rewarded subordinates who met academic goals by any means possible.

Superintendent Beverly Hall and her top aides ignored, buried, destroyed or altered complaints about misconduct, claimed ignorance of wrongdoing and accused naysayers of failing to believe in poor children’s ability to learn.

For years — as long as a decade — this was how the Atlanta school district produced gains on state curriculum tests. The scores soared so dramatically they brought national acclaim to Hall and the district, according to an investigative report released Tuesday by Gov. Nathan Deal.

In the report, the governor’s special investigators describe an enterprise where unethical — and potentially illegal — behavior pierced every level of the bureaucracy, allowing district staff to reap praise and sometimes bonuses by misleading the children, parents and community they served.

The report accuses top district officials of wrongdoing that could lead to criminal charges in some cases.

The decision whether to prosecute lies with three district attorneys — in Fulton, DeKalb and Douglas counties — who will consider potential offenses in their jurisdictions.</span>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>For teachers, a culture of fear ensured the deception would continue.</span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>“APS is run like the mob,” one teacher told investigators, saying she cheated because she feared retaliation if she didn’t.</span>

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>The voluminous report names 178 educators, including 38 principals, as participants in cheating. More than 80 confessed. The investigators said they confirmed cheating in 44 of 56 schools they examined.</span> ...

Phyllis Brown, a southwest Atlanta parent with two children in the district, said the latest revelations are “horrible.” It is the children, she said, who face embarrassment if they are promoted to a higher grade only to find they aren’t ready for the more challenging work.

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Still, she doesn’t believe teachers should be punished.

“It’s the people over them, that threatened them, that should be punished,” she said. “The ones from the building downtown, they should lose their jobs, they should lose their pensions. They are the ones who started this.”</span> ...

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>The special investigators’ report describes years of misconduct that took place as far up the chain of command as the superintendent’s office. The report accuses Hall and her aides of repeatedly tampering with or hiding records that cast an unflattering light on the district.

In one case, Hall’s chief Human Resources officer Millicent Few “illegally ordered” the destruction of early, damning drafts of an outside lawyer’s investigation of test-tampering at Atlanta’s Deerwood Academy, the report said.

Another time, Few ordered staff to destroy a case log of cheating-related internal investigations after The Atlanta Journal-Constitution requested it, the report said. Few told staff to replace the old log with a new, altered version. When the district finally produced the complaints, the investigators wrote, it illegally withheld cases that made it “look bad” — either because its investigation was poor or because wrongdoing received minimal sanction.

Few also made false statements to the investigators, the report said.</span> ...

In some schools, the report said, cheating became a routine part of administering the annual state Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests. The investigators describe highly organized, coordinated efforts to falsify tests when children could not score high enough to meet the district’s self-imposed goals.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>The cheating cut off struggling students from the extra help they would have received if they’d failed.</span>

At Venetian Hills, a group of teachers and administrators who dubbed themselves <span style='font-size: 11pt'>“the chosen ones” convened to change answers in the afternoons or during makeup testing days, investigators found. Principal Clarietta Davis, a testing coordinator told investigators, wore gloves while erasing to avoid leaving fingerprints on answer sheets.

Davis refused to answer the investigators’ questions. She could not be reached Tuesday.

At Gideons Elementary, teachers sneaked tests off campus and held a weekend “changing party” at a teacher’s home in Douglas County to fix answers.

Cheating was “an open secret” at the school, the report said. The testing coordinator handed out answer-key transparencies to place over answer sheets so the job would go faster.</span>

When investigators began questioning educators, now-retired principal Armstead Salters obstructed their efforts by telling teachers not to cooperate, the report said.

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>“If anyone asks you anything about this just tell them you don’t know,” the report said Salters said. He told teachers to “just stick to the story and it will all go away.”</span>

Salters eventually confessed to knowing cheating was occurring, the report said. He could not be reached Tuesday.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>At Kennedy Middle, children who couldn’t read not only passed the state reading test, but scored at the highest level possible. At Perkerson Elementary, a student sat under a desk, then randomly filled in answers and still passed.</span> ...

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>District employees suffered intense stress — enough to send at least one to the hospital — in a workplace where threats from supervisors kept them from reporting wrongdoing for fear of losing their jobs.</span>

Area superintendents, who oversee clusters of schools, enforced a code of silence. <span style='font-size: 11pt'>One made a whistle-blower alter his reports of cheating and placed a reprimand in his file — and not the cheater’s. Another told a teacher who saw tampering that if she did not “keep her mouth shut,” she would “be gone.”</span>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>“In sum, a culture of fear, intimidation and retaliation permeated the APS system from the highest ranks down,” the investigators wrote. “Cheating was allowed to proliferate until, in the words of one former APS principal, ‘it became intertwined in Atlanta Public Schools ... a part of what the culture is all about.’ ”</span> ...</div></div>

THIS (http://www.ajc.com/news/investigation-into-aps-cheating-1001375.html) is what the regime's power base looks like.

Qtec
07-07-2011, 04:19 AM
Why are you blaming the Unions?

Q

LWW
07-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Mmmmm ... because they cheated?

They may use the Nuremburg defense ... and you will undoubtedly excuse them ... but, they cheated.

Qtec
07-07-2011, 05:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mmmmm ... because they cheated?</div></div>

Why did they cheat? What was in it for them?

Keeping their job?

Q

LWW
07-07-2011, 05:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mmmmm ... because they cheated?</div></div>

Why did they cheat? What was in it for them?

Keeping their job?

Q </div></div>

As I said ... you would lap up the Nuremburg defense.

Sev
07-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Seems the children were cheated out of a real education.

How do you put a price on that?

Of course they were probably black so I guess its excusable in the minds of the liberals that run the school systems.

Its all about creating dependency and propagating the democrat vote.

hondo
07-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Typical. One area cheats. The entire system, especially unions,
are blamed.
Did you even read that article, DL?

If you don't start showing at least a minimum of integrity, I will no longer open your threads. I mean it.
Show some class!

LWW
07-07-2011, 05:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems the children were cheated out of a real education.

How do you put a price on that?</div></div>

That's easy ... the teacher's keeping their cushy high wage 3 months off per year with early retirement plus benefits plus weekends and holidays job is the price we all pay for a third world educational system.

On a lighter note:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo 11 July @ 8:46 AM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typical. One area cheats. The entire system, especially unions,
are blamed.

If you don't start showing at least a minimum of integrity, I will no longer open your threads. I mean it.
Show some class! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo 8:25 AM EST 11 July, 2011 Anno Domini</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit responding to me and I'll quit responding to you.</div></div>

cushioncrawler
07-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Unions stink. But none of that stuff relates to unions, except that it shows that unions havnt enuff power.

Anyhow, tests etc to show how good teachers etc are etc are komplete krap.
mac.

hondo
07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unions stink. But none of that stuff relates to unions, except that it shows that unions havnt enuff power.

Anyhow, tests etc to show how good teachers etc are etc are komplete krap.
mac. </div></div>

Excellent post.
I don't think DL even read the article.

hondo
07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems the children were cheated out of a real education.

That's easy ... the teacher's keeping their cushy high wage 3 months off per year with early retirement plus benefits plus weekends and holidays job is the price we all pay for a third world educational system.

On a lighter note:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo 11 July @ 8:46 AM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typical. One area cheats. The entire system, especially unions,
are blamed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo 8:25 AM EST 11 July, 2011 Anno Domini</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit responding to me and I'll quit responding to you.</div></div> </div></div>

I meant it.
Stop shadowposting me and I'll ignore you.

Qtec
07-07-2011, 11:14 PM
He seems to forget,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The special investigators’ report describes years of misconduct that took place <span style='font-size: 17pt'>as far up the chain of command as the superintendent’s office. The report accuses Hall and her aides of repeatedly tampering with or hiding records that cast an unflattering light on the district. </span></div></div>

..and,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For teachers, <u>a culture of fear ensured the deception would continue.</u>

“APS is run like the mob,” one teacher told investigators, saying she cheated because she feared retaliation if she didn’t. </div></div>

LWW sees what he wants to see.

Q

LWW
07-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Have you seen this latest cry for attention?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo 11 July 10:39 AM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems the children were cheated out of a real education.

On a lighter note:

are blamed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo 8:25 AM EST 11 July, 2011 Anno Domini</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quit responding to me and I'll quit responding to you.</div></div> </div></div>

I meant it.
Stop shadowposting me and I'll ignore you. </div></div>

hondo
07-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Simply copying my posts for others is still shadow posting.
As usual, you fool no one.