PDA

View Full Version : What Happens when Meat Inspectors are Layed Off

llotter
07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
My guess is that it would only take a few days for the private sector to replace it with a cheaper and better system to insure the health and safety of the meat industry. I hope we find out when the debt ceiling is not increased.

Soflasnapper
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I think your guess is quite wrong.

The industry will likely say they don't need no stinking inspections, that everything is totally safe, trust us.

To put in place an inspection regime would be time-consuming, expensive, and importantly, TEMPORARY (which is another reason they wouldn't do it).

We have such a program exactly because the industry is not to be trusted, from past abuses that these programs curbed. (See Upton Sinclair's 'The Jungle' for how they handled things before FDA inspectors.)

llotter
07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Maybe we'll find out soon but maybe the bureaucracy will consider itself so in-disposable that it will be toward the top of the list of those who do not get laid off.

Soflasnapper
07-13-2011, 01:45 PM
With the current inspection regime in place (although reduced), we still have seen e-coli outbreaks that have killed some more vulnerable citizens, including children with less than fully developed immune systems.

The safety of the food supply system is not a luxury, but a necessity, and one that we cannot allow the industry to self-monitor, because they cut corners to make more money in the short term.

There will always be a tension between the private sector's profits and the costs the people demand be borne, costing profits, to assure our safety.

LWW
07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think your guess is quite wrong.

The industry will likely say they don't need no stinking inspections, that everything is totally safe, trust us.

To put in place an inspection regime would be time-consuming, expensive, and importantly, TEMPORARY (which is another reason they wouldn't do it).

We have such a program exactly because the industry is not to be trusted, from past abuses that these programs curbed. (See Upton Sinclair's 'The Jungle' for how they handled things before FDA inspectors.) </div></div>

The reality is that the meat inspectors spend billions to inspect close to zero meat.

Next myth?

Soflasnapper
07-13-2011, 04:58 PM
It's called random sampling. Ever hear of that?

Sev
07-13-2011, 05:03 PM
I used to go to clubs and get my meat randomly inspected. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
07-13-2011, 05:03 PM
"Meat" inspection also involves "animal" and "slaughterhouse" inspection.

Although I'm sure you'll deny that is possible, since it is, after all, called meat inspection, and even is done under the 'Meat Inspection Act.'

Sev
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Talking to yourself??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LWW
07-14-2011, 03:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's called random sampling. Ever hear of that? </div></div>

That's what I said.

Soflasnapper
07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking to yourself??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I turn my head slightly either way, to indicate which side I'm posting on.