PDA

View Full Version : Ventriloquists for the Rich



Qtec
07-13-2011, 01:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The papers cannot announce that their purpose is to ventriloquise the concerns of multimillionaires; they must present themselves as the voice of the people. The Sun, the Mail and the Express claim to represent the interests of the working man and woman. These interests turn out to be identical to those of the men who own the papers.

So the rightwing papers run endless exposures of benefit cheats, yet say scarcely a word about the corporate tax cheats. They savage the trade unions and excoriate the BBC. They lambast the regulations that restrain corporate power. They school us in the extrinsic values – the worship of power, money, image and fame – which advertisers love but which make this a shallower, more selfish country. Most of them deceive their readers about the causes of climate change. These are not the obsessions of working people. They are the obsessions thrust upon them by the multimillionaires who own these papers.</div></div>



<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Murdoch press specializes in this type of fraud - <u>Fox News</u> being perhaps the most alarmingly overt example in America.

Perhaps the meltdown of the Murdoch press in the UK will cause Americans to question the organization that calls itself 'Fair and Balanced and look more deeply into its claims that is supports the aspirations of working Americans. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>The Fox News team have managed to convince vast amounts of poor people that tax cuts for the rich and cuts to welfare will benefit them, an extraordinary feat given the overwhelming evidence that they do not.</span> They have convinced Americans that border control is the most pressing issue of the time, not trade agreements that ship their jobs abroad, or the dismantling of their labor rights.

No corporation works against its own interests, and Murdoch's interests are centered around preserving the economic system that creates him massive amounts of wealth. It should be a no brainer that his newspapers misrepresent and misinform when reporting on economic issues, but they have perfected the lanuage of the everyman, creating a reality born out mythology rather than fact.</div></div>


Too true.

Q link (http://www.thedailybanter.com/tdb/2011/07/quote-of-the-day-newspapers-ventriloquists-for-the-rich.html)

LWW
07-13-2011, 03:02 AM
You are such a simpleton.

Once again ... millionaires and billionaires pay almost nothing, as a group, in income tax.

The reason is that, with the exceptions of athletes/actors etcetera, they are not employees ... they are investors and therefor pay taxes through capital gains.

If Obama levied a tax of $1M against each millionaire and $1B against each billionaire ... it still wouldn't balance the budget.

Obama must come after the middle class ... and he requires mindless bots, much like yourself, who will swallow whatever class warfare lie is laid on the spoon.

Qtec
07-13-2011, 04:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again ... millionaires and billionaires pay almost nothing, as a group, in income tax. </div></div>

So how come the GOP wants to lower their income tax?

...and why would a small increase in the higher income brackets be such a big deal?

Q

eg8r
07-13-2011, 05:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the rightwing papers run endless exposures of benefit cheats, yet say scarcely a word about the corporate tax cheats. </div></div>Maybe this is because the people at the newspaper are aware that indiviuals are less likely to sue however businesses are covered by lawyers and will sue the paper immediately.

eg8r

LWW
07-13-2011, 05:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again ... millionaires and billionaires pay almost nothing, as a group, in income tax. </div></div>

So how come the GOP wants to lower their income tax?

...and why would a small increase in the higher income brackets be such a big deal?

Q

</div></div>

They don't.

LWW
07-13-2011, 05:47 AM
You can't get a leftist to understand that a corporation is a tax collector and not a tax payer.

Gayle in MD
07-13-2011, 08:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The papers cannot announce that their purpose is to ventriloquise the concerns of multimillionaires; they must present themselves as the voice of the people. The Sun, the Mail and the Express claim to represent the interests of the working man and woman. These interests turn out to be identical to those of the men who own the papers.

So the rightwing papers run endless exposures of benefit cheats, yet say scarcely a word about the corporate tax cheats. They savage the trade unions and excoriate the BBC. They lambast the regulations that restrain corporate power. They school us in the extrinsic values – the worship of power, money, image and fame – which advertisers love but which make this a shallower, more selfish country. Most of them deceive their readers about the causes of climate change. These are not the obsessions of working people. They are the obsessions thrust upon them by the multimillionaires who own these papers.</div></div>



<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Murdoch press specializes in this type of fraud - <u>Fox News</u> being perhaps the most alarmingly overt example in America.

Perhaps the meltdown of the Murdoch press in the UK will cause Americans to question the organization that calls itself 'Fair and Balanced and look more deeply into its claims that is supports the aspirations of working Americans. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>The Fox News team have managed to convince vast amounts of poor people that tax cuts for the rich and cuts to welfare will benefit them, an extraordinary feat given the overwhelming evidence that they do not.</span> They have convinced Americans that border control is the most pressing issue of the time, not trade agreements that ship their jobs abroad, or the dismantling of their labor rights.

No corporation works against its own interests, and Murdoch's interests are centered around preserving the economic system that creates him massive amounts of wealth. It should be a no brainer that his newspapers misrepresent and misinform when reporting on economic issues, but they have perfected the lanuage of the everyman, creating a reality born out mythology rather than fact.</div></div>


Too true.

Q link (http://www.thedailybanter.com/tdb/2011/07/quote-of-the-day-newspapers-ventriloquists-for-the-rich.html)
</div></div>

Excellent post, Q. Thanks!

IMO, Rupert Murdoch is the more dangerous public figure since Hitler.

So what does that make Fox Viewers? What does that make Ronald Reagan, and his political exercises in carving the way for the Murdochs of the world?

I'm sure you get my drift!

G.

Soflasnapper
07-13-2011, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are such a simpleton.

Once again ... millionaires and billionaires pay almost nothing, as a group, in income tax.

The reason is that, with the exceptions of athletes/actors etcetera, they are not employees ... they are investors and therefor pay taxes through capital gains.</div></div>

This is basically false, in that the 'exceptions' are almost the whole cohort of the millionaire class. Everybody making money in Wall Street is an employee or a partner in a partnership. Ditto in the banking suites. The CEOs of all corporations are all employees with salaries. The sole proprietor companies, the partnership companies, the sub-S and LLC companies, all generate income that is subject to income taxes and income tax rates. Law firms, accounting firms, other professional organizations, flow monies to their principles that is subject to income tax.

Most companies don't throw off capital gains on a routine basis, so if you were right, most of these guys would go years without any income, an impossibility or at least, that surely doesn't happen often.

Many wealthy persons who do not receive wages, or earned income, still are subject to income tax on 'unearned' income (non-wage income), such as rents, royalties, short-term capital gains, and etc.

The people I guess you're imagining are the coupon clippers and trust fund people, and those are the tiny cohort exceptions to the rule. If people arranged to have all their assets in municipal bonds, and all their income as interest from those holdings, then they'd owe exactly zero in income taxes, except maybe then the alternative minimum tax might apply. Again, though, this is the smallish fraction of the rich that can be termed the 'idle rich,' who don't engage in enterprises at all, and instead, live entirely off their investments in lives of complete leisure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If Obama levied a tax of $1M against each millionaire and $1B against each billionaire ... it still wouldn't balance the budget. </div></div>

I doubt that is true. I think there are 400+ billionaires in the country (as the Forbes list doesn't include any non-billionaire net worth people). So that's $400 billion right there.

How many millionaires are there? Well, millions of them-- let's say, 3 million, which I think is close. How much is $1 million x 3 million? $3 trillion dollars.

Would $3.4 trillion balance the budget? Considering the shortfall is around $1.5 trillion, it would not only provide more than twice what is necessary to balance the budget currently, but provide enough to fund the ENTIRE budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obama must come after the middle class ... and he requires mindless bots, much like yourself, who will swallow whatever class warfare lie is laid on the spoon. </div></div>

So far the only 'middle class' people he's sought to raise taxes on are those in the $250,000+ income group, which is NOT the middle class.

Soflasnapper
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
From late last month, the WSJ blogsite (http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2011/06/22/u-s-has-record-number-of-millionaires/)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If further proof were needed of the two-speed recovery–the rich and the rest–now comes news that America has a record number of millionaires.

According to the annual World Wealth Report from Merill Lynch and Capgemini, the U.S. had 3.1 million millionaires in 2010, up from 2.86 million in 2009. The latest figure tops the pre-crisis peak of three million.

Merrill and Capgemini define millionaires as individuals with $1 million or more in investible assets, not including primary home, collectibles, consumables and consumer durables. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>[which means they are UNDERCOUNTING millionaires as a matter of net worth]</span>

The wealth held by these millionaires also hit a record. North American millionaires had a combined wealth of $11.6 trillion, up from $10.7 trillion in 2009.

The number of Americans with $30 million is still slightly below the pre-crisis peak. In 2010 there were 40,000 North Americans with $30 million or more, up from 36,000 in 2009.

Why are millionaires doing so much better than everyone else? Financial markets. Remember, the rich depend on financial markets (which have rebounded) while the rest of America depends on jobs and homes for wealth–both of which remain in a slump. According to the report, global equity markets rose 18% in 2010. Since the wealthy have a larger share of their fortunes in stocks, they would have benefited most.

In North America, male millionaires far outnumber female millionaires: 63% of North American millionaires are men, and 37% are women. </div></div>

eg8r
07-13-2011, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does that make Fox Viewers? What does that make Ronald Reagan, and his political exercises in carving the way for the Murdochs of the world?

I'm sure you get my drift!
</div></div>Ummm, you are losing it at a faster pace than ever before? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
07-13-2011, 11:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does that make Fox Viewers? What does that make Ronald Reagan, and his political exercises in carving the way for the Murdochs of the world?

I'm sure you get my drift!
</div></div>Ummm, you are losing it at a faster pace than ever before? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

You never had it!

You've been wrong about everything, so why would anyone care about what you think?

You voted twice for the man who destroyed our country, and our economy.

That's enough proof of your vast, stunning ignorance, for me, my friend.

G.

eg8r
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
LOL, and you solidfy my point.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, and you solidfy my point.

eg8r </div></div>

Twist on, Ed, it's the thing you do best!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

http://www.lyrics.com/twist-lyrics-chubby-checker.html