PDA

View Full Version : Gov Dayton Folds in Minnesota

Sev
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I guess MN is opening back up for business.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/...et-july-14-2011 (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/politics/mn-shutdown-dayton-agrees-republican-budget-july-14-2011)

<span style="color: #000000"> Gov. Dayton Agrees to Republican Budget to End Minnesota Shutdown
2 p.m. meeting brings governor, GOP back together

Updated: Thursday, 14 Jul 2011, 12:50 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 14 Jul 2011, 10:24 AM CDT

by Jeff Goldberg and Mike Durkin / FOX 9 News

ST. PAUL, Minn. (FOX 9) - Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton and Republican leaders are returning to budget talks, with a 2 p.m. meeting in Dayton’s office.

The meeting comes after the governor sent a letter Thursday morning to House Speaker Kurt Zellers and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch, saying he "reluctantly" agrees to accept the Republican budget proposal from June 30 if it will end the government shutdown .

“Despite my serious reservations about your plan, I have concluded that continuing the state government shutdown would be even more destructive for too many Minnesotans,” Dayton wrote in the letter. “Therefore, I am willing to agree to something I do not agree with – your proposal – in order to spare our citizens and our state from further damage.”

Dayton said accepting the offer, with conditions, would bridge a $1.4 billion gap between him and the Republican leadership without any more drastic cuts to to essential services.

"If this gets resolved and gets Minnesota back to work in the next few days, then it doesn't matter what people say about me,” Dayton said.

If an agreement is in place, Dayton says he’s ready to call a special session to end the shutdown within three days.

Dayton said he has been thinking about making this offer for several days, as it gradually became clear this was only viable way to end the shutdown. The governor has spent the past several weeks traveling around Minnesota to discus the budget with Minnesotans as he waited for a Republican proposal he found reasonable.”

“During the past two weeks, I have been listening carefully to people throughout Minnesota,” the governor wrote. “They are telling me that, overwhelmingly, they want this budget dispute resolved.”

To make a deal, the governor set the following conditions:

Remove policy issues
Drop 15 percent across the board in reductions to state employees in all agencies
Pass $500 million bonding bill

The Republican offer from June 30 included:

A shift in K-12 school aid payments from 70/30 to 60/40
Issuing tobacco bonds to cover the remaining gap
Increasing the per student formula by $50 per year to cover additional borrowing costs
Adding $10 million more to the University of Minnesota to equalize MnSCU cuts
Restoring funding to Department of Human Rights and Trade Office

GOP spokesman Michael Brodkorb said House Republicans were looking at the governor's offer late Thursday morning, but had no other comment. Dayton has asked for a Thursday afternoon meeting with Republican leaders.

With all of that said, a budget plan to end Minnesota’s government shutdown is still far from a done deal. There’s no guarantee Republicans will agree to the rekindled proposal, and there’s no guarantee Democrats will follow Dayton’s concession.

"I'm glad that Governor Dayton dropped his need for tax increases but I am not a fan of shifting more money from schools,” said Rep. John Kriesel (GOP-Cottage Grove). “This feels like more of a short term fix than the long-term structural reform we need. With that being said, I hope this deal brings an end to the shutdown."

Sen. Dave Thompson (GOP-Lakeville) said Dayton’s proposal is “not a cart blanche acceptance” of the GOP budget and has three very big conditions.

One DFL lawmaker told FOX 9’s Jeff Goldberg that Dayton "caved...has gone against his principles." That legislator also has doubts that Republican leaders have enough votes from the rank-and-file to pass the proposed budget.

The governor said compromise was "totally lacking" on the Republican side, saying he exhausted all efforts and "I was basically negotiating with myself.”

"Ignorance and arrogance are a very dangerous combination,” Dayton said. “Makes a democracy difficult to function.”

Read more: Dayton Agrees to Republican Budget to End Minnesota Shutdown http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/...1#ixzz1S6gEXlKR (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/politics/mn-shutdown-dayton-agrees-republican-budget-july-14-2011#ixzz1S6gEXlKR)
</span>

LWW
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
The second American revolution continues!

Soflasnapper
07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
The key tippling point was the forced shut down of bars and liquor stores. That pressure became too great. Luckily there was a solution on tap at the ready.

Sev
07-14-2011, 05:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The key tippling point was the forced shut down of bars and liquor stores. That pressure became too great. Luckily there was a solution on tap at the ready. </div></div>

Nicely played!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif