PDA

View Full Version : US Open Escrow is a Fraud

09-17-2002, 05:31 PM
That escrow account is BOGUS!! It's just an account with Barry's name on it. The only person that can access it is himself.

It should be in a third party name (an escrow attorney) who the by law can only disburse the money to the players who win it.

There is NO Protection!!

Anyone who is endorsing this "fact" that the money is good is an idiot. Becareful what you endorse, you might get blamed if something does go wrong (or even a lawsuit!)

Barry's just leaving himself a backdoor just in case...maybe he'll run off to Mexico after he gets a few more entry fees.

Scott Lee
09-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Anonymous...It's too bad you have such a bad taste for one of the longest and highest profile pool promoters in the U.S. The U.S. Open has been going for 27 yrs. Name another pool tournament that can make that claim. Sure Barry made some mistakes last year, but he deserves a lot of credit for putting on this huge event year after year.
You, on the other hand, don't even have the guts to post under your own name! Let the tournament happen, and then you can post your opinions!

Scott Lee

09-17-2002, 07:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Anonymous...It's too bad you have such a bad taste for one of the longest and highest profile pool promoters in the U.S. The U.S. Open has been going for 27 yrs. Name another pool tournament that can make that claim. Sure Barry made some mistakes last year, but he deserves a lot of credit for putting on this huge event year after year.
You, on the other hand, don't even have the guts to post under your own name! Let the tournament happen, and then you can post your opinions!

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

It's too bad you're so blinded by "money" and "prestige" that you think it's ok for a promoter to operate illegitimately.

There is a right way to do things and a wrong.

I state facts you are just defending out of emotional attachment.

You are going to feel very silly if something bad does happen.

Don't be surprised if Barry uses the UPA as a excuse to take money out again.

Fred Fulloffacts

cueball1950
09-17-2002, 07:48 PM
who's name you want on the account besides his. Someone else that could take the monay and run. Leave the guy alone. He has made mistakes in the past. But he has always faced up to them and took the bulls*it that everybody has thrown at him head on and not run. That tells me alot about his overall character.............mike

Scott Lee
09-18-2002, 01:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> It's too bad you're so blinded by "money" and "prestige" that you think it's ok for a promoter to operate illegitimately.

There is a right way to do things and a wrong.

I state facts you are just defending out of emotional attachment.

You are going to feel very silly if something bad does happen.

Don't be surprised if Barry uses the UPA as a excuse to take money out again.

Fred Fulloffacts <hr></blockquote>

Fred Fullofsomethingelse...I have NO emotional attachment, nor affiliation of ANY kind with Barry Behrman. If you had posted here even a year ago, you would know that I was among the most vocal critics of Barry's actions last year at the Open. I also, am out of the good of the sport, something which you apparently have no grasp of...since you are ONLY thinking about $$$! I have never condoned a promoter's illegitimate actions in ANY event. There have been plenty of outright crooked promoters. Barry Behrman is not one of them. He made mistakes by not putting in writing that the added money was based on the gate. That's his ONLY crime (at least concerned with the tournament itself)! LOL That was wrong...no doubt about it! However, the continued running of the tournament is important to the sport, and he deserves a chance to make good this year! You can bet your ass he has whatever money he says he is adding. He won't bet on the gate again if he's smart. To boycott the tournament is, imo, a childish action, of a few pro players. Many "on the list" pros will be there playing anyway. For the ones that stay home...it's just that much better for the shortstops! I hope one of them takes it off!

Scott Lee

09-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Why is it Barry wouldn't sign any legal agreement to pay the money out?

Why did Barry put added prize money in an account in his name if he is so sure he will pay off?

If he put the money up with an attorney that means that money is spent already for the prize fund and he can't touch it.

Why did he tell the UPA that he could not put the players entry up in escrow before the event? (because the players entries&lt; $75000&gt; was gone already for some reason.)

It sounds like Barry has given himself some backdoors just in case something does go wrong.

Barry ,in his actions, has shown that he is willing to take money out again if he has to.

Can't you guys see that? Duh.

Joey

Vicki
09-18-2002, 07:03 PM
I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER STRING WITH THE SAME TOPIC.

You are correct. This is not a true escrow account. If it were an escrow account we might be in for bigger problems than anyone would expect. Based on the defination provided here (which is entirely accurate) all the conditions specified would have to be met in order for the funds to be released. So if anyone (UPA) had a beef and said that somehow the specified conditions were not met then no one would get paid. The attorney (or other 3rd party holding the funds) could not release the money without the agreement of all parties that the conditions had been met. I don't see the two sides agreeing on anything - especially the distribution of the prize money. And no one knows what the terms of the contract would have been. None of us has seen the sanctioning agreement. What if the Chesapeake Convention Center burns down early on the morning of the 23rd? Who gets the $$ then? What if the building burns down on Saturday night before the finals? How is the money distributed then. Was this agreement drawn up by a competent attorney? Are there resolutions to all of the possible issues that could be faced? If not, that money could be held in escrow until doomsday. None of the players might ever get paid. I suspect this among the many reasons that the Behrman's did not agree to have their tournament sanctioned. I don't blame them. They are obviously very savvy business men or they would not be promoting such a successfull tournament today. The account is a good will gesture on the part of the Behrman's to ease any doubt that the players will not get paid - which is the bogus message that has been broadcast by Charlie &amp; the UPA. They didn't have go to this trouble except that the UPA has done such a good job of trying to trash their reputations.

Vicki

What I said before seems to apply here too.

I would also like to mention that I am not aware of any critic of the Behrman's or of the US Open who is posting using his real name. I would not be suprised AT ALL to find out that the people posting this negative propaganda are the same people who are running the UPA.

It is a STONE COLD FACT that people from the UPA are telephoning some of the industry members who are posting in favor of the US Open and the Behrman's - asking them to stop posting because they are "misleading" the public.

No question - there is NO escrow account holding money for the US Open - but it is with good reason, IN MY OPINION, that the money is NOT in an escrow account. Maybe Barry wouldn't sign a legal agreement to pay the money out because the agreement that the UPA presented SUCKED. Maybe it was not professionally drafted and was full of holes. Maybe Barry didn't put the added money in the name of a third party because the third party may fail to release the money if the agreement is unclear in any way as to how the money is to be distributed. No attorney is going to accept that responsibility in the absence of a viable contract. Who did CW think was going to PAY this attorney for his time and skill to review the agreement, revise the agreement, or draft a new agreement, open the account, disperse the funds, close the account, follow up with any residual issues following the event? DO YOU ANONYMOUS IDIOTS HAVE ANY CLUE WHAT THIS WOULD COST?? Probably could buy a third world country instead.

Vicki

09-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Barry is such a crook!
I knew there was something to that escrow announcement he had made. After all that, I hope the players and fans don't go. What an immoral guy!

Peter N.

ted harris
09-19-2002, 11:40 PM
You must live a miserable existence to wish ill will on other people!

Voodoo Daddy
09-20-2002, 01:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vicki:</font><hr> If it were an escrow account we might be in for bigger problems than anyone would expect.

Not that its my business but you wrote "we"...are you directly involved with the Berhmans and the Open? Just wondering....

09-20-2002, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Vicki:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; If it were an escrow account we might be in for bigger problems than anyone would expect.

Not that its my business but you wrote "we"...are you directly involved with the Berhmans and the Open? Just wondering.... <hr></blockquote>

My involvement is limited to attending &amp; participating in the CCB tournament. My boyfriend is exhibiting and is one of the seating sponsors. By "we" I meant the we's who care about the success of the event and about the success of pool.

SpiderMan
09-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Vicki,

Those are very good points which should be considered by anyone tempted to form opinions based upon these anonymous postings.

The bottom line is intent - are the promoters honest people? Did they follow-up and make things right despite last year's setbacks? If so, I'd say it's not likely they're up to anything devious.

SpiderMan

Vicki
09-20-2002, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> My involvement is limited to attending &amp; participating in the CCB tournament. My boyfriend is exhibiting and is one of the seating sponsors. By "we" I meant the we's who care about the success of the event and about the success of pool. <hr></blockquote>

That was me...

09-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Vicki,
You said it right the UPA has screwed up and now they know it. Calling others to affect public opinion and the attempt to hurt Barry's reputation and that of the US OPEN is horrible and just shows the type of people they are. Talk about character issues.

I went to the UPA event Hampton Va and was unimpressed in how it was run. It was not fan friendly. Not many people there and vendors were disappointed (some lost money).

The UPA is dead, they just don't know it yet. They wanted all the control and now they are imploding. Hate to see what they have done to themselves. They will have to change their
whole attitude and start winning others over to even have a shot at survival at this point.

Will be at the open Wed for my 6th year in a row.

BR in NC

BillyRinNC
09-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Actually I am registered. Now I know you must logon prior to replys.

Vicki
09-20-2002, 02:21 PM
I wonder who you think is the moral one in all this? Are the UPA leaders "moral"? I suppose morality has always been of primary concern to pool players. That's why they don't hold matches until after church lets out on Sunday. Haven't you all figured out that those pockets on the outside of our cases is really to carry our Bible. And you all thought it was for chalk and tip scuffers. You sinners.

09-20-2002, 03:18 PM
Has everyone forgotten that Behrman could not pay everyone with good checks the previous year either? That was in 2000. Then, 9/11 happened in 2001 and he didn't pony up again. Two years in a row he has had problems paying plus his problem with the law and now the 2002 Open. The game is so desperate we look to people like Behrman like they are saints? Yuk. Carlo in Ohio

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> Vicki,

Those are very good points which should be considered by anyone tempted to form opinions based upon these anonymous postings.

The bottom line is intent - are the promoters honest people? Did they follow-up and make things right despite last year's setbacks? If so, I'd say it's not likely they're up to anything devious.

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>

09-20-2002, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Barry is such a crook!
I knew there was something to that escrow announcement he had made. After all that, I hope the players and fans don't go. What an immoral guy!

Peter N.
<hr></blockquote>

i dont know this barry guy and he sure isnt here to defend himself.but people are getting to play pool.to me that is worth overlooking some personal flaws. who am i to judge? as certain people lo ve pointing out, I have many flaws.

bw

09-23-2002, 10:27 PM
What happened to the rest of the entry fee money? Did Barry put it in escrow today like he said he would?

Peter