PDA

View Full Version : A question for our leftist friends?

LWW
07-21-2011, 05:19 AM
What exactly is Obama's plan in the deficit talks?

LWW
07-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Bump.

Surely since you have all talked about dear leader's plan, you must know what it is?

Soflasnapper
07-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Apparently to decimate the entitlements, using the GOP's bad cop to his good cop, to accomplish the same goals. Making history, doncha know? To drag in the Dems against the good of the people, because the GOP is against the good of the people, so we have to do it.

LWW
07-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Can you link me to his plan?

Soflasnapper
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
As you may know, by most opinion, the president cannot do anything about any plan, except sign something the Congress passes through both houses, or veto it.

Assuming the 14th amendment option is untrue, anyway.

As you may also know, anything Obama says he wants is automatically rejected.

He's letting the Democratic trio in the Gang of Six do the deal, evidently, and does not have a stated plan in writing. Nor does the Gang of Six. This not only respects Congress as the fully equal branch of government that it is, but respects it as the primary actor in any such drama.

LWW
07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Bush had plans to present ... so did Clinton ... and Reagan ... and Carter ... and Ford ... and Nixon ... and so on.

It's called leadership.

They weren't always good plans, but they had plans nonetheless.

Now, the job of the POTUS is to lead the nation.

Obama wanted to be POTUS.

I have heard the left and the Obamedia gush about what a great leder he is.

So I'll ask again ... what is the Obama plan?

Soflasnapper
07-21-2011, 05:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bush had plans to present ... so did Clinton ... and Reagan ... and Carter ... and Ford ... and Nixon ... and so on.

It's called leadership.

So I'll ask again ... what is the Obama plan? </div></div>

It's a brand new day. No prior president had the unanimous opposition to anything he said or proposed. Given this new reality, the POTUS has determined that on almost all issues (cf: health care reform), he will give the Congress its head, and deal with the result as he then decides.

If you want specifics, he's promised to veto Cap, cut and balance if it's brought to his desk. He's laid out a general framework of a balanced approach of cuts and revenue increases, at a 3-1 ratio, including cuts to the Dem sacred cow programs of SS and MC. He's said he'd do a $4 trillion in cuts deal, and a $2.5 trillion in cuts deal, and previously said he'd veto any short-term deal. Now, he's said he would accept a short-term deal if required to attain a longer-term, big deal. Again, the GOP was for these broad outlines before they were against them. He's laid out his acceptable parameters, and the details are left to Congress.

It is specifically the House's responsibility to originate all revenue and spending bills. The POTUS is of the other party from the majority controlling party of the House. How is he supposed to get them to do squat?

They FINALLY bellied up to the table, only to pass the one thing he's said he would veto, and which will not pass the Senate in any case. In other words, they are dithering and wasting time, trying to pacify their crazy rump wing's fantasies, temporizing, while the deadline approaches imminently.

The Congress creates the laws of the country, and that is their unique role in our system. I'm surprised you think an imperial presidency, dictating to Congress the jots and tittles of a law instead of broader principles to be contained in the law, is some kind of good thing.

Fact is, it is frustrating to want to attack him so much, and you're hitting thin air. I understand. So does Obama. If he went to the sausage making factory and got involved, the grease and splatter would get all over him as well.

LWW
07-22-2011, 02:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bush had plans to present ... so did Clinton ... and Reagan ... and Carter ... and Ford ... and Nixon ... and so on.

It's called leadership.

So I'll ask again ... what is the Obama plan? </div></div>

It's a brand new day. </div></div>

How Orwellian was that.

Qtec
07-22-2011, 03:21 AM
Obama is willing to include cuts but only if the GOP are willing to raise revenue, ie no more tax cuts for millionaires/ billionaires.

Q

LWW
07-22-2011, 03:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obama is willing to include cuts but only if the GOP are willing to raise revenue, ie no more tax cuts for millionaires/ billionaires.

Q </div></div>

So he will cut taxes if he can raise taxes?

How Orwellian is that?

Now ... what are these spending cuts the left insists Obama has in his plan?