PDA

View Full Version : Norquist's Embarrassing Walkback

Gayle in MD
07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WASHINGTON -- Ending the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthy would not be a tax hike, according to Grover Norquist, the man behind a pledge against increasing taxes. That assessment gives the Republican Party breathing room to let some tax breaks expire without violating a pledge to Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform.

"Not continuing a tax cut is not technically a tax increase," Norquist told the Washington Post editorial board. "We wouldn't hold it" as violating the pledge, he said.

The Republican Party has long been beholden to Americans for Tax Reform, which is headed by Norquist. The "Taxpayer Protection Pledge," which nearly all Republican members of Congress have signed, says signatories will never vote to raise taxes. According to Norquist, the pledge has also ruled out voting to end certain tax breaks and subsidies without using the resulting money to lower rates elsewhere.

But ending the Bush-era tax cuts, which were extended last December by President Barack Obama, could now offer a way to raise revenue for a debt limit deal -- without Republicans breaking their pledge against voting to raise taxes.

Norquist said he still opposes ending the Bush tax cuts, but his shift on whether they would be interpreted as a violation of the pledge gives more leeway in negotiations for raising the debt limit.

A deal on raising the debt ceiling has been delayed by Republicans' hard-line drive for spending cuts, with many vowing they will not allow for tax increases as part of a final deal.

</div></div>
Story continues below:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet some Republicans have shown a recent willingness to amend tax policy despite their pledge, with 34 Senate Republicans voting in June to end ethanol subsidies in an amendment proposed by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.). At the time, Norquist rebuked Coburn for that amendment, saying the senator "lied his way into office" and was breaking the pledge.

Coburn, though, was adamant that ending the ethanol subsidy -- a vote that ultimately failed -- would be good policy, saying Norquist has less influence than people think.

"The fact is it's not a good position to put yourself in when you say, 'Here's a tax expenditure that nobody needs, and yet we have to give somebody else a tax cut to take away this,'" he told reporters at the time.

Norquist said he still opposes ending the Bush tax cuts, but his shift on whether they would be interpreted as a violation of the pledge gives more leeway in negotiations for raising the debt limit.

A deal on raising the debt ceiling has been delayed by Republicans' hard-line drive for spending cuts, with many vowing they will not allow for tax increases as part of a final deal.

Story continues below

UPDATE: 11:30 a.m. -- Appearing on MSNBC hours after the editorial appeared, Norquist claimed that the Washington Post had selectively quoted him.

"I think they need to follow the rest of the conversation," he said. "Otherwise it wouldn't pass the laugh test to go to the American people and tell them you just allowed $4 trillion dollars in higher taxes by allowing the 2001-2003 lower rates to lapse and tell people that's not a tax increase."

"It clearly would be a dramatic increase in taxes," he added. "How you get into [Congressional Budget Offce] scoring and technicalities is a different issue, in terms of taxes lapsing."

Democrats, Norquist said, were wrong to assume that he had opened to door to a debt ceiling compromise that would include revenues derived from letting the tax cuts expire.

UPDATE: 2:10 p.m. -- The Washington Post has responded to Norquist's and ATR's walk-backs on his comments by posting the audio of his remarks to their website.

"So that there's no question about what was said during Tuesday's meeting, here's the relevant audio of the interchange between Norquist and editorial board member Ruth Marcus," the post reads.

LISTEN:
</div></div>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/21/grover-norquist-bush-tax-cuts-tax-hike_n_905624.html

<span style="color: #990000">Guess the chubby little munchkin doesn't want to be responsible for another econoomic crash, caused by Repiglican unrealistic and damaging policies, BUT he also doesn't want to own up to what he clearly stated, as the released tape, from WAPO proves....make up your mind Chubby.... lol.

OK little Repiggy Tea Party sheepies, you can vote now, ah oh, no, you can't vote after all....Sick! The Chubby GODMAN Munchkin, has not given you permission to do your jobs, or has he???????????????????

Uh Oh, gee, now what? Asked the sheep! </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will notice, in its artfully worded response to a Washington Post editorial quoting Grover Norquist as saying that letting the Bush tax cuts lapse would not violate the no new taxes pledge, that Norquist's group did not deny that's precisely what he said.
Repeatedly.
It's always fun to listen to Norquist, the godfather of the no-new-taxes pledge that has been signed by nearly every Republican in Congress, not to mention a few Democrats. His mind is peripatetic. A conversation with him can be studded with allusions to everything from the movie Airplane to Ann of Cleves, the fourth wife of Henry the Eighth.

Norquist was in full form when he stopped by to visit with The Washington Post Editorial Board the other day, but what really got me to perk up was his answer to my colleague Charles Lane's deceptively simple questions about what constitutes a tax increase. Norquist's answer — allowing a temporary tax cut to expire does not equal a tax increase for purposes of the pledge — had me leaping out of my chair. You can listen here.

Me: Wait wait wait wait wait! Can you back up for a second? Are you saying that it would not violate your pledge to allow the Bush tax cuts to lapse?

Norquist: The guys in the House and senate view that it would.

Me: I’m asking you…

Norquist: Not continuing a tax cut is not technically a tax increase.

Me. So it does not violate the pledge.

Norquist: We wouldn’t hold it that way.…That’s not going to get these guys off the hook because the House and Senate guy’ view is that it is a tax increase.

Me: But isn’t that just because they’re convinced that you would…pillory them?”

Break for an interlude about how to think about temporary tax increases on the state level and temporary tax breaks that are regularly extended.

Me: So you’re saying that if candidate Romney were to come out tomorrow and say…here’s the deal…in order to get our country on a sustainable fiscal path we are going to have to let all the Bush tax cuts lapse and people like me call you up and toss you what we think is going to be a softball and say, “Grover, would you like to denounce him for violating the pledge?”

Norquist: I would denounce him as a tax increaser and a bad guy. It would not technically violate the pledge.

Here’s the important thing about Norquist’s admission, and why it has his group in such a tizzy now. It’s not that Norquist was sending some kind of premeditated dog whistle to GOP lawmakers that it is now safe to reverse course. It’s just that, under the enhanced interrogation of the Washington Post Editorial Board, he was honest enough to acknowledge that in the current econtext of the Bush tax cuts being set to expire, the pledge is in effect toothless.

To the extent that he has terrorized scores of Repubilcan lawmakers against being willing to allow the Bush tax cuts, any part of them, to lapse, Norquist’s comments offer them a huge amount of wiggle room. Some $4 trillion worth of wiggle room, given the baseline on which Norquist says the pledge is based.

Norquist can revise and extend all he wants, but he said what he said.

</div></div>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...FkCSI_blog.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/grover-norquists-toothless-pledge/2011/02/28/gIQAZFkCSI_blog.html)

eg8r
07-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Where was the embarrassment? It appears that he is fine with the statement and show not embarrassment at all. It is funny to see you bash the Reps on tax policy yet when they give you what you want you laugh in their face. Are you really that pathetic?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where was the embarrassment? It appears that he is fine with the statement and show not embarrassment at all. It is funny to see you bash the Reps on tax policy yet when they give you what you want you laugh in their face. Are you really that pathetic?

eg8r </div></div>

Are YOU?

You need reading lessons.

eg8r
07-21-2011, 01:39 PM
So you don't want to answer the question, some things never change.

Reps are looking for a way to save face on relaxing some tax "ultimatums" and all you can do is throw it back in their face. Pathetic.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
07-21-2011, 01:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you don't want to answer the question, some things never change.

Reps are looking for a way to save face on relaxing some tax "ultimatums" and all you can do is throw it back in their face. Pathetic.

eg8r </div></div>

Like I said, you need some reading lessons.

G.

LWW
07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
What's truly amazing about all this is that the moonbat crazy left slimes the R's for (INSERT ISSUE) and then if the R's start to come around to appease the moonbat crazy left ... the moonbat crazy left slimes them for doing it.

Both Bush presidents fell for the same slime tactics ... as did Dole and McCain ... and they still keep falling for it.

The R party will never be truly successful until they realize the moonbat crazy left is entirely unappeasable.

Soflasnapper
07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's truly amazing about all this is that the moonbat crazy left slimes the R's for (INSERT ISSUE) and then if the R's start to come around to appease the moonbat crazy left ... the moonbat crazy left slimes them for doing it.

Both Bush presidents fell for the same slime tactics ... as did Dole and McCain ... and they still keep falling for it.

The R party will never be truly successful until they realize the moonbat crazy left is entirely unappeasable. </div></div>

Your statements are always best read as transposing the supposed actors. It's a perfect statement, pertaining to the crazy right.

Soflasnapper
07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where was the embarrassment? It appears that he is fine with the statement and show not embarrassment at all. It is funny to see you bash the Reps on tax policy yet when they give you what you want you laugh in their face. Are you really that pathetic?

eg8r </div></div>

Except where he claimed he was misquoted, given the context.

He clearly wanted cover from his own admission, which is indeed astounding, and should be spread widely across the fruited plain.

LWW
07-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Give me an example of the crazy right?

Qtec
07-22-2011, 03:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me an example of the crazy right? </div></div>

OMG..........LMAO.

You asked for it. Ehm..........I really don't know where to start. LOL

How about TeaBaggers protesting about no new taxes when they just got a tax cut?

The crazy Right? How about Bachmann, Palin, Angel and Christine O'Donnel ????

The crazy RW.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org

Black bit*h is a witch. nutjob AAA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pFcFldh8lo&feature=player_embedded)

MORE. there are plenty more like this guy. Read the website. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqjW6jmoXZM&feature=player_embedded)

Q

LWW
07-22-2011, 04:06 AM
You obviously don't know the meaning of the words right wing.

This NBickel guy is an obvious statist ... he just wants to use the boot of the state for a different purpose than you.

Beyond that, you are both anti liberty and want to force your way onto society.

Next inane statement please?

Qtec
07-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Why is abortion and gay rights REALLY big with the GOP?

Do you really think that all those unemployed, those that lost their homes etc see abortion as the biggest priority?

http://www.lifenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/guttmacher2.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In the first six months of 2011, states enacted <span style='font-size: 14pt'>162 new provisions related to reproductive health and rights.</span> Fully 49% of these new laws seek to restrict access to abortion services, a sharp increase from 2010, when 26% of new laws restricted abortion. The 80 abortion restrictions enacted this year are more than double the previous record of 34 abortion restrictions enacted in 2005—and more than triple the 23 enacted in 2010. All of these new provisions were enacted in just 19 states,” Guttmacher indicates.</div></div>

Religiously driven political policies, in DIRECT opposition to the USCON.

Q...... link (http://www.lifenews.com/2011/07/15/pro-abortion-group-record-pro-life-laws-passed-in-2012/)

Qtec
07-22-2011, 05:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's truly amazing </div></div> is that once again you have no answer!
Try responding to the topic for once.

Q.........

LWW
07-22-2011, 05:33 AM
As I said ... a fedora would cover your point.

What does your post do ... other than prove me to be correct?

LWW
07-22-2011, 05:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's truly amazing </div></div> is that once again you have no answer!
Try responding to the topic for once.

Q......... </div></div>

What's truly amazing is your insistence upon exposing your ignorance to the world with such verve!

Stretch
07-22-2011, 05:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me an example of the crazy right? </div></div>

OMG..........LMAO.

You asked for it. Ehm..........I really don't know where to start. LOL

How about TeaBaggers protesting about no new taxes when they just got a tax cut?

The crazy Right? How about Bachmann, Palin, Angel and Christine O'Donnel ????

The crazy RW.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org

Black bit*h is a witch. nutjob AAA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pFcFldh8lo&feature=player_embedded)

MORE. there are plenty more like this guy. Read the website. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqjW6jmoXZM&feature=player_embedded)

Q </div></div>

You forgot to add Beck, Coulter, and BD's own resident foaming mouthed bottom feeder LWW. St.

Gayle in MD
07-22-2011, 07:58 AM
LOL, as usual Stretch, you hit it spot on!

Back to Norquist, the unelected dictator to the Repiglicans.

Why would a political Party allow one man who has never held any political office, dictate their policies?

Norquist has boxed himself into a very limited philosophy.

Wouldn't you think such devout "Christians" would have heard, "For everythhing, there is a season"

Wouldn't you think such all knowing, economic geniuses could grasp the basic tenent, "Under the conditions prevailing" instead of suspending critical thinking skills, to fit their iedology?

After all, we've all seen that the Bush Tax cuts, largely favored the wealthy, and did not produce healthy job creation, but only added to our deficit, and crippled our ability to deal with Bush's impending Greater Depression than we've ever faced.

Norquist clearly told the Washington Post, that going off the Bush tax cuts, or cutting corporate loopholes, would not be considered a break with his "Pledge" aka, The Norquist Dictatorship of Repiglican Policies, of never raising taxes, but then, he turned right around and tried to say he didn't say that. Gee, his actual words prove otherwise.

Repiglicans have made a huge mistake by holding the act of raising the debt ceiling, hostage to continuing with their proven failed policies, their overreaching quest to basically throw the Middle Class, the poor, the hungry, the ioll and the old, under the bus, while insisting on continuing to give away our tax dollars, to the wealthiest among us, that top one percent, which do NOT create jobs.

Their failed policies of continuing to give our tax dollars away, raising our deficits, as they spend our revenues in the form of loopholes for the corporate Pigs who are making record breaking profits, making us ill with their pollution, gougeing us at the gas pumps, and stealing our wealth on Wall St., does not fit with what AMericans want, at all!!!

The vast majority of Americans, from every political persuasion, are on record, according to the current polling data, that they are against these policies, by huge numbers.

the vast majority of Americans, want Repiglicans to leave our union bargaining priviledges alone, leave our Social Security, Medicare, and medicaid alone, restore regulatory protections on Wall Street, maintain our protections in Food and drug, the FAA, FEMA, regulatory Agencies, we want all of the safety programs which Repiglicans want to drop, in their quest to give more and money of our tax dollars, to the wealthiest top one or two percent, same group which is largely responsible for not only the crash, but the overasll corrupted mortgage/bankinghedge funders, and predatory professionals, from the banking industry, to the health insurance and pharmaceutical industry, as they block regulating Wall St., the same corruption which ushered in the job losses and the crash, to a very large extent.

IOW, Repiglicans are ONLY interested in continuing with the same failed policies which led to this bad economic time in our history, as they blame everryone but themselves, for multi messes which their policies created.

Unbelievable!

G.

eg8r
07-22-2011, 10:33 AM
He was you troll. Why don't you read the posts before you run your mouth?

eg8r

LWW
07-22-2011, 02:16 PM
If you can get a hat size out of him, I'll spring for the fedora.

Qtec
07-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Oh I read them. I also read your post which shows what a hypocrite you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where was the embarrassment? <span style='font-size: 14pt'>It appears that he is fine with the statement and <u>show not embarrassment at all.</u></span><span style="color: #3333FF"> no kidding! </span> It is funny to see you bash the Reps on tax policy yet when they give you what you want you laugh in their face. Are you really that pathetic?

eg8r </div></div>

Where is YOUR embarrassment? You said in 2011 that letting the Bush Tax cuts expire would be a tax increase, I disagreed. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Grover says you are wrong.</span>
The whole GOP claimed it would be a tax increase [ still do],so where was Grover to call out their lies?

The only reason he is saying this now is because the people who pay him don't want a default.

Q