PDA

View Full Version : Does calling everything rules favor weaker play?

Alaskan_Pool
07-25-2011, 12:38 AM
They play bar rules 8-ball around here that I can't stand. You must call every aspect of a shot: "three ball will kiss off the two ball and then contact the long rail before entering the pocket without touching the twelve ball."

It is my belief these rules favor the less skilled player. But why this is true is not intuitive. On paper, these rules seem to require more rigor, but in application, it seems over and over to give the poorer player a leg up.

Anyone else think this is true? I can't be the only one here who has seen this rule a lot.

If you agree with me, Why does it favor the weaker player?

jjinfla
07-25-2011, 05:07 AM
And the 8 ball must go clean? LOL

Fran Crimi
07-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Seriously, I'd give up pool if I had to play by those rules. You have to call it if a ball touches a cushion on it's way to a pocket? That's just nuts. The best thing you can do for your area is to educate the players that what they are playing is not pool. It's some other ridiculous game that makes no sense.

You're right in that it doesn't favor the skilled player because in many instances it's pure luck if someone gets a call like that right.

jjinfla
07-25-2011, 07:32 AM
After 4,5,6 beers most of the players are lucky to hit the ball they are shooting at let alone to know where it is going. LOL. They played that way when I moved here in '98 and finally gave it up when the APA started playing in the bar. A lot less arguments.

JJFSTAR
07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
It favors the weaker player because when “bar rules” are being used there are many more ways to loose (the game or your inning) than there are to win the game or continue your inning.

In the situations you are talking about it USUALLY takes more skill to see the possibilities and take the shots that have the largest margin of error rather than try a very very specific shot.

That is the answer to your question but I think you should take the time to read a couple of other posts I have written to other people on this subject. I think that playing by those rules with those people is not helping your game; you may have no choice, if that is true I would take Fran’s suggestion and try to educate or find a buddy and play by the actual rules of the game with them it will catch on to the better players. This post is lengthily but I think it is worth your time to read it.

Here are excerpts from other posts:

You are going through a phase, right now you are irritated by bar rules and you loose sometimes because of the rules. If you continue to study and grow to finally become an expert pool player you will no longer be irritated by those rules and therefore you will be able to focus on your game rather than the fact that that guy just fouled and you cant walk up to that table and pick up that CB and put it anywhere.

In the near future you will not only be able to beat those people who are “social players” playing with bar call everything stupid made up rules 90% of the time but you will realize that the oversized CB’s, the heavy CB’s, the quality of the cloth, the quality of the balls, the dead rails, the lack of knowledge and the lack of maintenance of the tables themselves will not be contributing to your advancement as a player. But you being so new to the game you will benefit from just knocking around any set of balls on any table with any cue.

So go ahead and continue to play at bars with bar rules for now. But don’t get irritated because these people don’t know the rules it will adversely affect your game. Keep focused on the task at hand; your game. Most of these guy’s play “make the OB” it looks like pool but any good pool player can lambaste these guy’s all night long until they get too drunk from the beer they won.

When I am about to play someone for cash and when discussing the rules they say they want everything called rails kisses etc... I always want to play for a little more. That person has just told me that they can’t beat me, they are not a break and run player so they are going to try this set of rules to make shots of mine a little more difficult and add an extra distraction that they are comfortable with; fine I am probably going to knock them to the moon anyway. I am not a great pool player I have seen and played against too many great pool players to make that claim.

However I am working on becoming the best pool player that my natural ability will allow given my time and financial constraints. If you play this game long enough you will at some point figure out that in order to become a great pool player you have to play great pool players. And no great player is going to play "funzies" with you having to call the shot as it is intended. Sure they will play you for $ and that will get really expensive for you. But you are never going to become the best of the best because you’re not going to be playing with the best of the best.

So to all those who stick to local, house, bar and other unrecognized rules because it “feels right” or “because that’s the way you have always played” more power to you. You are the pool hustler's bread and butter if you play for money I hope to meet you out there in hall or tavern. But understand that I believe that you have stymied your own development. Nothing in this world is played at the top level with "house rules" not football, darts, poker, tidily winks, curling or whatever; this question is not limited to pool. But is seems to be like an insect infestation in the pool world. However I do enjoy squashing the bugs so it’s ok with me.

07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
To a certain degree, it does favor the weaker player. I'll add that it helps the weaker player that isnt a run out player, but can run a rack vs. a runout player. Basically, it's just a nitty way of getting back to the table.

Unfortunately, a lot of bar pool have always played by these rules, everywhere. It also makes for a lot of arguments.

Eric

Tom_In_Cincy
07-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Calling everything only indicates a bar player only knows rules that other bar players told them.

IMO, it is the first sign of NOT getting involved in this GAME.

07-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Thats just it, Tom. It's like a living document of tacked on, goofy rules, that gets added to, by anyone. The worst part of it is that the ones citing those "rules", stand by them as if they are gospel.

the one that gets me the most is not using the "call ball, call pocket". That is one of the most argue-proof rules there is; if the ball goes in, no mater how, it is a good shot.

Eric

Alaskan_Pool
07-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes, you have to call the ball "clean" or whether it will touch a rail. I even played a guy who played that you have to indicate within an inch where on the rail it will touch. I have tried to educate the players but it's no good. Like others have said, it becomes the gospel of the proper rules and arguing against it has no effect. I may have given the wrong impression. I play as a seven on APA (well I used to, I don't play APA any longer) and play by BCA rules whenever I can and know the rules well. But I enjoy playing out in bars too but I get very frustrated with this. Yet, and despite normally being the best player in the room by a long way (in bars, not in pool rooms) I am told that the way I want to play, calling the ball and the pocket, is "slop".

BCA Master Instr
07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't think so. I think most all rules favor the better player.

Alaskan_Pool
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
You understand I mean proportionately right? For example, If I'm playing a much weaker player and I'm playing by these rules, I'm still going to win in a race to a decent number of games. To make it very clear, I mean if I was playing a race to 100, with these rules I might win 100 to 20, but if we were playing sane rules I'd win 100 to 10.

JJFSTAR
07-26-2011, 09:11 AM
You will have to trust me on this one Randy. There are only 2 possibilities 1. It has been a very long time since you have played with a bar room nut case 2. You have never played with a bar room nut case.

Bar rules favor the weaker player because there are hundreds of times more ways to LOOSE the game or loose your shot. Here are just a couple of quick examples.

I had just run the table and I call the long bank strait back in the corner and I was asked “how many rails?” I said 1. So the 8 comes strait back and goes in. The guy says “you loose that was 2 rails”.

So I am in another bar in a different city and I call the 8 cut strait down the long rail. I hit the 8 first no argument from him he admits freely that I did make legal contact. But after legal contact with the 8 the CB hit one of his balls and his ball went in before the 8ball therefore I lost.

Go out to a bar where they play bar rules and try to follow your ball in after one of your opponents. You will be stopped and asked if you have lost your mind. You just have to trust me on this one Randy this stuff really happens.

jjinfla
07-26-2011, 10:06 AM
And then there are the rules that seem to change, or be added, just when you thought you won. All for a beer.

Fran Crimi
07-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Geez, I can't remember the last time I played for a beer. I miss that. Could use one now. It's 93 in NYC today --- a lot better than last week's 104. Cripes.

I think I might play crazy rules for a beer.

BCA Master Instr
07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to trust me on this one Randy. There are only 2 possibilities 1. It has been a very long time since you have played with a bar room nut case 2. You have never played with a bar room nut case.

Bar rules favor the weaker player because there are hundreds of times more ways to LOOSE the game or loose your shot. Here are just a couple of quick examples.

I had just run the table and I call the long bank strait back in the corner and I was asked “how many rails?” I said 1. So the 8 comes strait back and goes in. The guy says “you loose that was 2 rails”.

So I am in another bar in a different city and I call the 8 cut strait down the long rail. I hit the 8 first no argument from him he admits freely that I did make legal contact. But after legal contact with the 8 the CB hit one of his balls and his ball went in before the 8ball therefore I lost.

Go out to a bar where they play bar rules and try to follow your ball in after one of your opponents. You will be stopped and asked if you have lost your mind. You just have to trust me on this one Randy this stuff really happens.
</div></div>

I trust you, I believe you and I feel sorry for the both of us.

Don't ever assume that I don't or have never played in the "bars". I grew up on rules like this. The better the player I became, the easier it was to defeat them at their own game.

The better player will most always win. He doesn't allow himself to get into thos situations that you just described. We use those crazy rules to our advantage.....period.

We are better players, that means we know moooooore.

thanks
randyg

Sid_Vicious
07-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Bar rules favor the smarter player, who's usually one of us educated about how to "bend the bar rules." IMO, I find no problem with sneaking in an on-purpose-scratch or missed shot with rediculious CB shape on a locked 8b on his next shot. Most of the times it really doesn't matter whether I lose anyway cuz it's just a hick-style environment anyway, but the people aren't bad, just a tad ignorant about why bar rules have their purpose. I will drink their beers for nuthin though and play by their rules, and never even suggest BCA...well kinda by their rules. You just have to make it look good ;-) Done right, you can lose and win at will, and slide in and out of these bar rules places having a lot of fun, and drinking for free. I like bar rules in lots of ways. Now would I ever get into bigger money games in bar rules? Hardly ever, and I MEAN hardly ever. Stuff happens fast in that scenario, and it ain't worth it.

We all will lose in bar rules games, because of bar rules, but the majority of cases...any of us will be swilling beer on their tab when all is said and done, and everyone is smiling ;-) sid

JJFSTAR
07-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Randy no offense meant but I did not realize that there was a 3rd possibility and that is that you did not understand the question asked by the OP hence my confusion. You answered this question “can the rules be manipulated so that it is the weaker player that is favored to win the game?” and you answered NO and you would be correct. Ok that is fine but that is a far simpler question than the question that is being asked. Quite frankly that is such a simple question with such an obvious answer that I did not think that could possibly be the question being asked by the OP; and it isn’t.

The OP tried to clarify it for you in his answer to you; again no offense intended but I think you answered the title of the post and not the real question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't ever assume that I don't or have never played in the "bars". I grew up on rules like this. The better the player I became, the easier it was to defeat them at their own game. </div></div>

Again no offense intended but I think this goes without saying to either me or the OP. The OP is (or rather was) an APA SL7 and I play in the “super section” of the West Penn Pool League (it is not a handicapped league) that section is defined as follows “most players on the team can break and run.” The next step DOWN from that is defined as “consistently stronger than most TOURNAMENT players”.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The better player will most always win. </div></div>

Again no offense intended but I think this goes without saying to either me or the OP. He tries to clarify it for you in his answer to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He doesn't allow himself to get into thos situations that you just described. </div></div>

Those situations happened to me 25 years ago; when you are just of bar age how can you have the social experience necessary to avoid those situations? They come up when you are young (usually); until you have gone through it you don’t know how to handle it and or avoid it. Now I am going to state something overly obvious. A higher skill level does not make you impervious to “those situations”. Social workings of the bar or pool room and skill level are independent of each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We use those crazy rules to our advantage.....period. We are better players, that means we know moooooore.
</div></div>

Read the entirety of my first post in this thread it will become obvious that I know this as well as I know my own phone number. If you still don’t understand the question that the OP is asking go ahead and reread his answer TO YOU.

BCA Master Instr
07-28-2011, 07:45 AM
"If you agree with me, Why does it favor the weaker player?"

I didn't agree with him.

Have a great day.

JJFSTAR
07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
I don’t mean to berate or belittle you in any way shape or form I think you are an absolutely fantastic contributor to this forum. However in this instance the reason that you disagree with him is that you don’t understand the full scope his contention.

I know that you believe that you do; however it is just that you are not getting the FULL SCOPE of what he is asking. The end note in your post “have a nice day” I think is sarcastic at least that’s the way it is used %99 of the time in this forum; it would indicate some irritation, pfft, hah, chuckle or other negative reaction to my post. I tried as best I could not to let that happen. Truthfully I really do hope that you really do have a nice day.

SpiderMan
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskan_Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They play bar rules 8-ball around here that I can't stand. You must call every aspect of a shot: "three ball will kiss off the two ball and then contact the long rail before entering the pocket without touching the twelve ball."

It is my belief these rules favor the less skilled player. But why this is true is not intuitive. On paper, these rules seem to require more rigor, but in application, it seems over and over to give the poorer player a leg up.

Anyone else think this is true? I can't be the only one here who has seen this rule a lot.

If you agree with me, Why does it favor the weaker player? </div></div>

Yes, "calling everything" definitely improves the chances of the weaker player. Why? Because it increases the randomness of the outcome. Anthing that makes it less of a skill comparison and more of a coin toss will help the weaker player.

The weaker player will never be EXPECTED to prevail, but he will win a few more games than otherwise, due to the randomness of outcomes from "calling everything".

Example: The strong player is left a shot on his last ball, into a corner pocket which is partially blocked by one of his opponent's balls. Any of his opponent's remaining balls, as well as the 8-ball, are "hangers".

Under "world standardized rules", the strong player calls the ball and pocket, and makes the shot 99% of the time. Lightning strikes maybe one time out of a hundred and causes him to miscue or aim crosseyed. When that happens, his weak opponent knocks in the hangers to win about 50% of that time. So in this case, the weaker player maybe wins 1/2 of 1%.

Under "call everything rules", the strong player must call whether his ball will contact the somewhat-blocking ball on the way in. Placement of the balls could be such that he calls wrong, or misses the shot trying to ensure (or avoid) a kiss, 25% of the time. Now if the weaker player still has a 50-50 chance of knocking in the hangers, he wins 12.5% of these situations rather than 0.5%.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2011, 04:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskan_Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They play bar rules 8-ball around here that I can't stand. You must call every aspect of a shot: "three ball will kiss off the two ball and then contact the long rail before entering the pocket without touching the twelve ball."

If you agree with me, Why does it favor the weaker player? </div></div>

Yes, "calling everything" definitely improves the chances of the weaker player. Why? Because it increases the randomness of the outcome. Anthing that makes it less of a skill comparison and more of a coin toss will help the weaker player.

The weaker player will never be EXPECTED to prevail, but he will win a few more games than otherwise, due to the randomness of outcomes from "calling everything".

Example: The strong player is left a shot on his last ball, into a corner pocket which is partially blocked by one of his opponent's balls. Any of his opponent's remaining balls, as well as the 8-ball, are "hangers".

Under "world standardized rules", the strong player calls the ball and pocket, and makes the shot 99% of the time. Lightning strikes maybe one time out of a hundred and causes him to miscue or aim crosseyed, and his opponent knocks in the hangers to win about 50% of that time, so his opponent maybe wins 1/2 of 1%.

Under "call everything rules", the strong player must call whether his ball will contact the somewhat-blocking ball on the way in. Placement of the balls could be such that he calls wrong, or misses the shot trying to ensure (or avoid) a kiss, 25% of the time. Now if the weaker player still has a 50-50 chance of knocking in the hangers, he wins 12.5% of these situations rather than 0.5%.

SpiderMan
</div></div>

Make you think about how you are going to miss that last ball ;-) sid

BCA Master Instr
07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don’t mean to berate or belittle you in any way shape or form I think you are an absolutely fantastic contributor to this forum. However in this instance the reason that you disagree with him is that you don’t understand the full scope his contention.

I know that you believe that you do; however it is just that you are not getting the FULL SCOPE of what he is asking. The end note in your post “have a nice day” I think is sarcastic at least that’s the way it is used %99 of the time in this forum; it would indicate some irritation, pfft, hah, chuckle or other negative reaction to my post. I tried as best I could not to let that happen. Truthfully I really do hope that you really do have a nice day.
</div></div>

Those who know me understand that I don't get irritated, pffted or upset. My disposition is on an even keel. Life is way too nice to have a "bad day"! I really meant to have a nice day.

Alaskan_Pool
07-29-2011, 07:06 AM
BCA Master Instr, I have no problem with you disagreeing with the assertion in my initial question. That being said, Like JJFSTAR, reading your posts I also get the impression you may have misinterpreted what I was saying. For clarification, because I don't think you've made it very clear, can I ask you this:

If you were playing by BCA Rules and played eight-ball against a significantly weaker player and won 50 out of 60 games, are you saying that if you were playing that same person using these "call everything" rules you would expect to win by the same or even a better margin?

By the way, everyone, regarding the responses, good stuff. Thanks. When I am next confronted with a situation where I want to explain why these rules are not more rigorous I will be able to explain it much better, rather than just asserting it.

bradb
07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been in bars where the local rules are screwy like that, so I usually leave instead of going through the grief.

But if that's your only bar then maybe use this tactic... If I know I'm the better player then I will try and control the game. I would lag my balls over pockets, block my opponent a lot, and work the 8Ball out into a good location. If it should come down to a shot on the 8ball where I could lose the game if its not called perfectly, then roll it over a hole. If we are both on the 8ball then I would play safe and make him try the dicey shots. Bide your time for the win!

The tough rules that work against you will be even tougher for him!!! If you're the better player you should win more often no matter what the conditions. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Scott Lee
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think so. I think most all rules favor the better player. </div></div>

I think the "call everything" rules favor the better player. I love to play people who want to play by those rules. I will drive them crazy, asking what rails, in what order, and what balls, etc. they are going to hit. I agree with Randy, that as long as both players are playing by the same rules, the better player will win more often than not.

Scott Lee

Sid_Vicious
07-29-2011, 03:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think so. I think most all rules favor the better player. </div></div>

I think the "call everything" rules favor the better player. I love to play people who want to play by those rules. I will drive them crazy, asking what rails, in what order, and what balls, etc. they are going to hit. I agree with Randy, that as long as both players are playing by the same rules, the better player will win more often than not.

Scott Lee </div></div>

It kinda depends on how you emotionally approach bar rules too. Most "better players" are those who play under organized rulesets, and they are better because of knowledge and being canny. Many, if dropped into a bar rules game, will be easily flustered with the nonsense of the bar rules, cuz there is no standardized set of rules, it changes with bars and it changes with different bar players. Many bar players for instance, are better shot makers on the sevens, whereas better organized pool players work any table better overall. "What better means" becomes canted. I don't think that anyone can solidly say that better is the same under these conditions. The question over weaker players having an advantage has it's merit IMPO. Sure, if you have an SL7 playing a local yokal should still win out, but if you take say a 5 shooting against the local hick of the place, I can easily see how the 5 will suffer more than the local bar guy, and lose. Without being sneaky, it is easy to understand how a better player will be at a disadvantage. sid

BCA Master Instr
07-29-2011, 05:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskan_Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCA Master Instr, I have no problem with you disagreeing with the assertion in my initial question. That being said, Like JJFSTAR, reading your posts I also get the impression you may have misinterpreted what I was saying. For clarification, because I don't think you've made it very clear, can I ask you this:

If you were playing by BCA Rules and played eight-ball against a significantly weaker player and won 50 out of 60 games, are you saying that if you were playing that same person using these "call everything" rules you would expect to win by the same or even a better margin?

By the way, everyone, regarding the responses, good stuff. Thanks. When I am next confronted with a situation where I want to explain why these rules are not more rigorous I will be able to explain it much better, rather than just asserting it. </div></div>

YES, I'm still the better player. Smarter, been there & done that. The new rules work both ways, I can take a huge advantage over a weaker player. Thanks.

Alaskan_Pool
07-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Okay, then we just disagree. I'm the better, smarter player that can take huge advantage of the weaker player too, but I know my percentage will (and does) go down when I play by these rules. I will still win, but by a percentage less. Maybe you have powers I don't. I am approximately a weak "A" player. Maybe you are an open player and much wilier than me. I don't know. I do know, though, that my ability to run out goes down playing these rules, and the number of times I give back to the table goes up with these rules and the number of fouls I commit goes up. This leads me to believe that no matter how good the player, even a Reyes or Bustamante, etc. will also find their percentages decrease, even if it's really marginal--something that could only be measured by looking at hundreds of games, and that's all I'm talking about.

JJFSTAR
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I agree with Randy, that as long as both players are playing by the same rules, the better player will win more often than not. </div></div>

Perfect yet another person who obviously does not understand the post at the outset.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think the "call everything" rules favor the better player. </div></div>

See what I mean. Air tight logic LOL, if you know #1 then #2 must be true and they are correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I love to play people who want to play by those rules. I will drive them crazy, asking what rails, in what order, and what balls, etc. they are going to hit. </div></div>

And here in lies the difference, because you say this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskan_Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They play bar rules 8-ball around here that I can't stand. </div></div>

I am in complete agreement with Randy and Scott on one level; for me I absolutely LOVE those rules. For you it brings something to the table that should not be there. Look at it this way you are a tournament player, these are social players. There are many times when you can “rule the table” all night. Why dwell on the 1 in 10 or 20 games that you lost because your inning ended because of some kiss that you didn’t call and the guy made a “fabulous” 6 ball out on an open 8ft table?

Now to Randy and Scott the next time you are in Pittsburgh I want you to contact me. We will meet up and I will bring one of my graduate students and we can play 50 games of 8ball on an 8ft table and we will see if you don’t loose a game “because of the rules” obviously you will be playing “bar rules”.

Our advantage as tournament players when we are in such environments is that there is no one around that can beat us. We can confound and confuse them and we can win well over %90 of the games without even any “bearing down” or concentration for that matter. Now every once in a while you are going to loose an inning that you might other wise retain and out of those a very small percentage OF THOSE games that you lost your inning it will cost you a game.

It is a good question you pose in your original post. It is interesting to discuss but in “the real pool world” it really isn’t of that much consequence. If you think to yourself what you would give to have it be that easy at the regionals it should put it in perspective for you. Part of the reason you are a good pool player is that you hate to loose more so than most people. I think my best advice to you would be to not let those feelings cloud what your perspective should be.

It should be that you love those rules because you don’t have to “size up” anyone, play your “A game”, bear down, make beautiful runs or the like. You can have a few drinks (or win a few if you have the time) have a good time and play free pool. Start looking at the glass as practically full and not at the fact that the liquid does not come to the rim.