PDA

View Full Version : How Much Practice Required Between Lessons?

TomBrooklyn
09-18-2002, 01:12 AM
How much practice time is generally required between lessons? Say for each one hour lesson?

Assume that the instructor wants doesn't want to work on the same thing at the next lesson because insufficient practice(homework) was performed by the student on the last lesson's material. =TB=

Scott Lee
09-18-2002, 01:30 AM
Tom...It varies from student to student, of course, but I would say, as a general rule, a student should practice for a few days to a week, in between lessons. That would be optimal, under the ideal conditions. For many of my students, they see me only 1-3 times a year, and yet almost ALL of them still continue to improve, because they dedicate time to serious practice.

Scott

09-18-2002, 01:58 AM
Hi Scott,
Do your travels ever take you through Kansas City?

bluewolf
09-18-2002, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Tom...It varies from student to student, of course, but I would say, as a general rule, a student should practice for a few days to a week, in between lessons. That would be optimal, under the ideal conditions. For many of my students, they see me only 1-3 times a year, and yet almost ALL of them still continue to improve, because they dedicate time to serious practice.

Scott

<hr></blockquote>

i am hoping for a lesson with scott before the end of the year, which will mean about 4 months between lessons.having his video tape is a plus so i can look at his stroke.

i practice what i learned in my lesson with scott and the drills for about an hour a day.the rest of the time i am practicing i am practicing cutshots,straight in shots and setting up certain safety shots i am trying to learn.i have found the key to being successful with most of these is ball speed control,which scott also covered in his lesson...i think i am sinking more balls due to daily practice on my stroke,followthrough and ball speed.

still a beginner but seeing that 'there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it isnt a train' &lt;G&gt;

looking forward to the next lesson...

Laura

Doctor_D
09-18-2002, 06:35 AM
Good morning:

The amount of time to be dedicated to any given item, following an instructional / coaching session, will vary depending upon what has been introduced to and/or changed in your overall fundamentals and/or game. My regimen is to have a coaching session every Three (3) weeks, each session lasts Four (4) Hours, with a proportional amount of time from my Twenty (20) Hours of practice each week allocated to changes and/or newly introduced items. Overall, I would have to say that the amount of time needed will vary based on many different variables.

Dr. D.

=k=
09-18-2002, 07:38 AM
hi tom, thanks for asking that question, as i am needing to know also. i asked for two weeks between lessons as i thought i could spend more time doing what i was instructed to do...although now i am having second thoughts. i find myself wondering if i am doing things right. i know i dropped a level trying to do things correct. so it makes me doubt myself. i only get two hours a day to practise. i also wonder how long to practise a certain drill. thanks K

09-18-2002, 10:01 AM
WHY NOT JUST POST THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE INSTEAD OF WASTING SPACE WITH YOUR POST THAT MEANS NOTHING? "WILL VARY BASED ON MANY VARIABLES" ha! funny when people become professional practicers. similar to being a professional student. professional practicers rarely perform well in tournament play because they feel they need to practice more. so go practice and then make another post about your practice. ha! Carlo from Ohio

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

The amount of time to be dedicated to any given item, following an instructional / coaching session, will vary depending upon what has been introduced to and/or changed in your overall fundamentals and/or game. My regimen is to have a coaching session every Three (3) weeks, each session lasts Four (4) Hours, with a proportional amount of time from my Twenty (20) Hours of practice each week allocated to changes and/or newly introduced items. Overall, I would have to say that the amount of time needed will vary based on many different variables.

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

09-18-2002, 10:27 AM
Hi Dr D! Stretch hear. You just don't hear a thing. This other Anoymous is obviously a little Anal retentive. St

griffith_d
09-18-2002, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

I cannot imagine practicing for 20 hours a week,...obviously you have your own table. My back would give out playing that much. I only practice 2 hours a week and one tournament a week. Total practice and playing a week would be 6 to 8.

You have got to be good playing that much,...I am not sure I could ever beat you.

Griff

Doctor_D
09-18-2002, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
I cannot imagine practicing for 20 hours a week,...obviously you have your own table. My back would give out playing that much. I only practice 2 hours a week and one tournament a week. Total practice and playing a week would be 6 to 8.

You have got to be good playing that much,...I am not sure I could ever beat you.

Griff

__________________________________________________ _____

Good afternoon:

In addition to the time devoted to drills I compete in organized tournaments, inclusive of Two (2) WPBA Regional Tours, on a weekly basis. By the time December rolls around, I will have competed in over Twenty Five (25) tournaments and events this year. Practice, and the diligent development and refinement of fundamentals, is essential. However, tournament play and experience is even more important to a well rounded development of talent and competitive abilities. I have come to love the game and the competition and as such I like to spend as much time as possible working on all aspects of my game. As far as defeating me on the table, anything is possible.

Dr. D.

Scott Lee
09-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Scott...Yes, I come through KC every year. Email me for more information at poolology@aol.com.

Scott Lee

nAz
09-18-2002, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;

Griff

__________________________________________________ _____

Good afternoon:

In addition to the time devoted to drills I compete in organized tournaments, inclusive of Two (2) WPBA Regional Tours, on a weekly basis. By the time December rolls around, I will have competed in over Twenty Five (25) tournaments and events this year. Practice, and the diligent development and refinement of fundamentals, is essential. However, tournament play and experience is even more important to a well rounded development of talent and competitive abilities. I have come to love the game and the competition and as such I like to spend as much time as possible working on all aspects of my game. As far as defeating me on the table, anything is possible.

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Hey Doc you are too KEWL!! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Sid_Vicious
09-18-2002, 01:15 PM
PRACTICE! We don't need no stinkin' practice! Just gobble up the gifts from the master, and run with it ;-) sid~~~hasn't worked with me but it might work for you

TonyM
09-18-2002, 10:44 PM
"How much practice time is generally required between lessons? Say for each one hour lesson?"

As an instructor, I really don't like to have to go over the same stuff each time with a student. I feel like I'm just wasting their money.

So I'd say, the time for the next lesson is either:

1) when you feel you have mastered the previous lesson (and the instructor should have provided you with some goals to work toward so you know when that is)...

or

2) when a problem has arisen that you feel you need help on.

So the time between lessons really will depend on the amount of time you can practice, and your dedication to that practice. So be flexible.

I had a student who didn't practice at all betweem lessons. He wanted to to keep going over the previous lesson, time after time. Really, he used the lessons as practice time!

In the end, I told him that his money was better spent on table time!

Tony
-pool players are strange...it's official....

09-18-2002, 11:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> Hey Doc you are too KEWL!! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif <hr></blockquote>Naz, Please have consideration for the other forum users time and energy by not using the forum like a chat room.

Also, please be edit quotations to retain only the part that you are specifically replying to. Thank you.

nAz
09-18-2002, 11:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ForumModerator:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: nAz:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Hey Doc you are too KEWL!! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Naz, Please have consideration for the other forum users time and energy by not using the forum like a chat room.
Also, please be edit quotations to retain only the part that you are specifically replying to. Thank you. <hr></blockquote>

WHO the HELL are you!
if you work for BD. please make a post stating your duties and why you are assigned to annoy me. If you are REAL sorry in advance and can you install a spell checker i could really use one. oh and if you are not real GO FORNICATE yourself

09-18-2002, 11:37 PM
I am the Forum Moderator.

My duties are to remind forum users to avoid using the forum like a chat room and to edit quotes; to respond to question on the use of the forum; and to perform other duties that may come up from time to time.

nAz
09-18-2002, 11:43 PM
Prove it fool edit out this post,! and i will act likef the other zobies here

09-19-2002, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> Prove it fool edit out this post,! and i will act likef the other zobies here <hr></blockquote>

can't prove it, of course, but i suspect this guy is mad about being recently (very) banned and is coming back in trying to cause trouble for the board admin.

dan

nAz
09-19-2002, 11:35 AM
HD that guys a moron... bitch all he wants i wont get banned.
uh i hope not /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-20-2002, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> WHY NOT JUST POST THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE INSTEAD OF WASTING SPACE WITH YOUR POST THAT MEANS NOTHING? "WILL VARY BASED ON MANY VARIABLES" ha! funny when people become professional practicers. similar to being a professional student. professional practicers rarely perform well in tournament play because they feel they need to practice more. so go practice and then make another post about your practice. ha! Carlo from Ohio

<hr></blockquote>

Yo Carlo,

I admire Dr. D for her discipline and determination. IIRC she did win her first match at the Amateur Nationals so I think it's unfair to call her a professional practicer. For someone that's only been playing a couple years I think she's doing OK.

travellerdl2
09-20-2002, 11:48 AM
Carlo,

Sorry you feel this way. But if you ever get a chance to meet Dr. D "go for it". I think you will find, as I did that she is a very delightful lady.

Mark Hagerman, wishes he could pratice enough to be called a Professional Practice/r!

#### leonard
09-20-2002, 12:49 PM
It usually takes two weeks of practicing a new method of play before it becomes a part of your game. I f you play a game before it becomes a part of your game, human nature will revert to your old way of playing and you will have lost the time. One step forward/one step back. If you want to get great, develop sound fundamentals before playing games. Usually when you then start to play games people start quiting you. ####

SpiderMan
09-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Carlo,

I'd say that "Dr D" is obviously very dedicated, has a very well-organized program, and I'll bet she's seeing improvements in her tournament play. Maybe she doesn't write that concisely, but I certainly wouldn't trash her ideas about structured practice. How much has your tournament play improved over the past six months?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> WHY NOT JUST POST THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE INSTEAD OF WASTING SPACE WITH YOUR POST THAT MEANS NOTHING? "WILL VARY BASED ON MANY VARIABLES" ha! funny when people become professional practicers. similar to being a professional student. professional practicers rarely perform well in tournament play because they feel they need to practice more. so go practice and then make another post about your practice. ha! Carlo from Ohio

&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Doctor_D:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Good morning:

Dr. D.
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; <hr></blockquote>

09-20-2002, 02:03 PM
Did my post say anything about my tournament play improving? No it did not. You remind me of Pee Wee Herman when he would say "I know you are but what am I". Wannabes are a big problem more so in ladies tournaments than men. Many have no business playing in certain tournaments but because they are willing to pay their money they are allowed to fill a spot. Yuk. You can hire the best intstructor in the world and drop their name in every other post but when it is time to play the match the charade is over. Either perform at a level worthy of the event or get out of the way. Carlo in Ohio

SpiderMan
09-20-2002, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> &lt;nit remarks snipped&gt; Wannabes are a big problem more so in ladies tournaments than men. Many have no business playing in certain tournaments but because they are willing to pay their money they are allowed to fill a spot. Yuk. You can hire the best intstructor in the world and drop their name in every other post but when it is time to play the match the charade is over. Either perform at a level worthy of the event or get out of the way. Carlo in Ohio <hr></blockquote>

There are also lots of tournaments to enter where we (men)wouldn't be competitive, but welcome to donate our entry fees. At least that's true for me. Fact is, there aren't enough exceptionally good women players to go around. So what's your point there, the tournaments should just run empty?

SpiderMan

09-20-2002, 02:45 PM
Those are your words not mine. Carlo in Ohio

So what's your point there, the tournaments should just run empty?

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse
09-20-2002, 04:40 PM
Carlo,
I'm having trouble understanding where your coming from. First you say some people shouldn't play in tournaments when they have no chance of winning and Spiderman correctly points out that these type of players are kind of the lifes blood of tournaments, they are normally 1/3 of the field and really kind of float the boat. Your reply to Spidermans pointing out this obvious fact leads me to believe you don't even like the game of pool, especially after what you have posted about the promoters of the U.S.Open. Do you even care about the future of pool or have you just given up on the sport???