PDA

View Full Version : Something new and exciting?

eg8r
07-28-2011, 08:12 PM
In an effort to keep this thread nice and light I was wondering if anyone has already done or is going to do to something this year that you have never done before.

For myself I am racing in a triathlon next month. I have never done anything this hard in my life but it has been very rewarding to see the progress along the way. My mile time trial is down to 8:30 and I am positive that I can easily get that down a bit more since I did not think I pushed myself enough during that run. This weekend I will be running 10 miles. That should be a great way to start the morning.

I have never swam for any kind of distance in my life, not even to do a lap in a pool. I have spent my entire life just enjoying the pool. I am a certified scuba diver but that just isn't the same. My goal at the beginning was to just survive the half mile swim but I am now regularly doing a mile or more 3 to 4 times a week. It is amazing how quickly I have picked up the swimming aspect of this sport.

I won't be competitive in the race since my goal is simply to finish it but I have goals in my mind for each section and I will be racing against myself to meet each goal.

eg8r

Qtec
07-29-2011, 05:28 AM
So what are you doing next year?

The Tour de France? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LOL

Seriously Ed, hat off. Its great to hear that a guy your age is taking care of himself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Q

Actually, I do one third of a Triathlon every day, I cycle to work! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

eg8r
07-29-2011, 05:41 AM
LOL, never Tour de France. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif At the bike shop I go to they have something called Vision Quest. This is something that you hook your bike up to and they can simulate all sorts of different tracks/races. Every day during the Tour de France they simulated the exact same ride so you could "ride" with the pros. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I wasn't able to make it to any sessions but I heard it was extrememly tough.

eg8r

LWW
07-29-2011, 05:58 AM
I have my bike hooked up in front of a TV/video system ... old movies get me through exercise sessions.

Biking is great exercise though.

LWW
07-29-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm going to the intl world championship remote controlled jet aircraft competition at the base today.

eg8r
07-29-2011, 06:03 AM
That sounds cool and dangerous all wrapped up in one.

eg8r

LWW
07-29-2011, 06:11 AM
I've been to the 1/4 scale competitions here that have some jets. I'm not really sure what to expect here ... I here some of the jets are much larger than 1/4 scale.

Soflasnapper
07-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Nice goals there, if astounding! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif Wow!

Nothing so dramatic on my side, but I just went to my first HS reunion (the 40th, which is pretty amazing in itself). Still among the leaders in male follicles, which is something as well.

Hiked a few miles up and down the waterfall trails in the Columbia Gorge (beautiful), and handled it although haven't done any physical training since my knees went bad about 15 years ago now. I felt good about that until I read of your plans. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

christianshoes
07-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Women High Heels (http://www.womanhighheel.com), from stiletto to spool, spike to platform, girls love their high heels. Season after season, new patterns and styles of high heels hit the sector blazing and girls just keep purchasing these style driven shoes. So, many girls buy high heels and they are so utterly essential in a trendy wardrobe? Woman High Heels (http://www.womanhighheel.com), just like Christian Louboutin Shoe (http://www.womanhighheel.com), Chiristian Louboutin Pumps (http://www.womanhighheel.com), and other Chiristian Shoes (http://www.womanhighheel.com) are suitable for most occasions. From wedding to sultry nights, we have the heels and dreess shoes to create every night a memorable one. If you ever are searching for high heels or fetish shoes. Loboutin Sale (http://www.womanhighheel.com) store here is your place to shop.

eg8r
07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
LOL, well I sure hope when I get to my 40th HS reunion I will be able to hike the trails myself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I am a couple years away from my 20 year reunion. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-29-2011, 07:43 PM
So how was it? Anyone die because an RC jet engine got out of control?

eg8r

Soflasnapper
07-29-2011, 08:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, well I sure hope when I get to my 40th HS reunion I will be able to hike the trails myself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I am a couple years away from my 20 year reunion. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

Oh, I get it now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Less impressive (slightly, then), but still astounding. Good luck, and stay hydrated!

Very inspirational, and I'm still way impressed with your ambitions.

Soflasnapper
07-29-2011, 08:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: christianshoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Women High Heels (http://www.womanhighheel.com), from stiletto to spool, spike to platform, girls love their high heels. Season after season, new patterns and styles of high heels hit the sector blazing and girls just keep purchasing these style driven shoes. So, many girls buy high heels and they are so utterly essential in a trendy wardrobe? Woman High Heels (http://www.womanhighheel.com), just like Christian Louboutin Shoe (http://www.womanhighheel.com), Chiristian Louboutin Pumps (http://www.womanhighheel.com), and other Chiristian Shoes (http://www.womanhighheel.com) are suitable for most occasions. From wedding to sultry nights, we have the heels and dreess shoes to create every night a memorable one. If you ever are searching for high heels or fetish shoes. Loboutin Sale (http://www.womanhighheel.com) store here is your place to shop. </div></div>

Thank you so much for your relevant and revelatory reply! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Jesus loves you, and, apparently, spike high heels. And fetish wear, also, too. God bless!

cushioncrawler
07-29-2011, 08:55 PM
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"shoe" occurs 10 times in 10 verses in the KJV</span>

Deu 25:9 Then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders , and loose his shoe from off his foot , and spit in his face, and shall answer and say , So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house .

Deu 25:10 And his name shall be called in Israel, The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.

Deu 29:5 And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot.

Jos 5:15 And the captain of the LORD'S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest [is] holy. And Joshua did so.

Rth 4:7 Now this [was the manner] in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave [it] to his neighbour: and this [was] a testimony in Israel.

Rth 4:8 Therefore the kinsman said unto Boaz, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Buy</span> [it] for thee. So he drew off his shoe.[/size]

Psa 60:8 Moab [is] my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe: Philistia, triumph thou because of me.

Isa 20:2 At the same time spake the LORD by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go and loose the sackcloth from off thy loins , and put off thy shoe from thy foot. And he did so, walking naked and barefoot.

Jhn 1:27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"shoes" occurs 21 times in 21 verses in the KJV</span>

Exd 3:5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest [is] holy ground.

Exd 12:11 And thus shall ye eat it; [with] your loins girded , your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it [is] the LORD'S passover.

Deu 33:25 Thy shoes [shall be] iron and brass; and as thy days , [so shall] thy strength [be].

Jos 9:5 And old shoes and clouted upon their feet, and old garments upon them; and all the bread of their provision was dry [and] mouldy.

Jos 9:13 And these bottles of wine, which we filled, [were] new ; and, behold, they be rent: and these our garments and our shoes are become old by reason of the very long journey.

1Ki 2:5 Moreover thou knowest also what Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me, [and] what he did to the two captains of the hosts of Israel , unto Abner the son of Ner and unto Amasa the son of Jether whom he slew, and shed the blood of war in peace and put the blood of war upon his girdle that [was] about his loins, and in his shoes that [were] on his feet.

Sgs 7:1 How beautiful are thy feet with shoes , O prince's daughter ! the joints of thy thighs [are] like jewels1, the work of the hands of a cunning workman.

Isa 5:27 None shall be weary nor stumble among them; none shall slumber nor sleep; neither shall the girdle of their loins be loosed nor the latchet of their shoes be broken:

Eze 24:17 Forbear to cry , make no mourning for the dead, bind the tire of thine head upon thee, and put on thy shoes upon thy feet, and cover not [thy] lips, and eat not the bread of men.

Eze 24:23 And your tires [shall be] upon your heads, and your shoes upon your feet: ye shall not mourn nor weep ; but ye shall pine away for your iniquities, and mourn one toward another.

Amo 2:6 Thus saith the LORD ; For three transgressions of Israel , and for four , I will not turn away [the punishment] thereof; because they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes;

Amo 8:6 That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; [yea], and sell the refuse of the wheat?

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize thou with water unto repentance ; but he that cometh after me is mightier than I , whose shoes I am not worthy to bear : he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost , and [with] fire:

Mat 10:10 Nor scrip for [your] journey , neither two coats , neither shoes, nor ye staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

Mar 1:7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.

Luk 3:16 John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose : he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Luk 10:4 Carry neither purse, nor script, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.

Luk 15:22 But the father said to his servants , Bring forth the best robe, and put [it] on him; and put a ring on his hand , and shoes on [his] feet :

Luk 22:35 And he said unto them , When I sent you without purse , and scrip , and shoes, lacked ye any thing ? And they said, Nothing .

Act 7:33 Then said the Lord to him , Put off thy shoes from thy feet : for the place where thou standest is holy ground .

Act 13:25 And as John fulfilled his course , he said , Whom think ye that I am ? I am not [he]. But , behold , there cometh one after me , whose shoes of [his] feet I am not worthy to loose.

LWW
07-30-2011, 05:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds cool and dangerous all wrapped up in one.

eg8r </div></div>

Well ... I went to day one and met some fascinating flyers.

Photos to come.

Gayle in MD
07-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Wrote this yesterday, in another thread, but in case you didn't see it, I am very proud of you for the way you have stuck to your exercise regime, and even expanded your goals.

Hat's off to you Ed. You have probably added twenty years or more to your life, if you continue, that is.

I hope you will.

G.

cushioncrawler
07-30-2011, 07:34 PM
2Sa 18:24 And David sat between the two gates: and the watchman went up to the roof over the gate unto the wall, and lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold a man running alone.

2Sa 18:26 And the watchman saw another man running: and the watchman called unto the porter, and said, Behold [another] man running alone. And the king said, He also bringeth tidings.

2Sa 18:27 And the watchman said, Me thinketh the running of the foremost is like the running of Ahimaaz the son of Zadok. And the king said, He [is] a good man, and cometh with good tidings.

2Ki 5:21 So Gehazi followed after Naaman. And when Naaman saw [him] running after him, he lighted down from the chariot to meet him, and said, [Is] all well?

2Ch 23:12 Now when Athaliah heard the noise of the people running and praising the king, she came to the people into the house of the LORD:

Mar 9:15 And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running to [him] saluted him.

Mar 9:25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, [Thou] dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Mar 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master , what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?</span>

Luk 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

eg8r
07-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Signed up for a couple 5k's (pretty easy at this point), a sprint triathlon and an olympic triathlon. It will be a busy fall this year.

eg8r

eg8r
07-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Hydration and nutrition is the key. I really had no idea the kind of nutrition that is consumed during the race. The sprint tri not so much but once I start getting into the half ironman and such the race nutrition becomes a huge factor.

Today we were practicing our transitions (from swim to ride and ride to run). This was after the 7.5 mile run. I was slap worn out at the end of it.

Thanks for the kind words. I will be down your way in November for the Miami man traithlon. That will be my first race with points going towards my ironman. I am pretty excited. Now I just need to figure out how to pay for all these races.

eg8r

eg8r
07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah I will never look at biking the same for the rest of my life. Gone are the great childhood memories of riding around the neighborhood and jumping over random ramps. Now it is all about learning how much actual power I produce during the different phases of the race and what I can do to increase that during tougher parts of the ride. One thing I never thought about was keeping my rpm's up on the uphill rides. Probably because I was usually so exhausted I would get off the bike and walk it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I still remember riding a scooter over the big bridge from Paradise Island to Nassau down in the Bahamas when I was a kid. We spent nearly my entire childhood going down there every summer. I had the VQ team recreate that bridge in the computer program and now I can motor up and down that sucker with no problem and I don't need a moped to do it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Soflasnapper
07-31-2011, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydration and nutrition is the key. I really had no idea the kind of nutrition that is consumed during the race. The sprint tri not so much but once I start getting into the half ironman and such the race nutrition becomes a huge factor.

Today we were practicing our transitions (from swim to ride and ride to run). This was after the 7.5 mile run. I was slap worn out at the end of it.

Thanks for the kind words. I will be down your way in November for the Miami man traithlon. That will be my first race with points going towards my ironman. I am pretty excited. Now I just need to figure out how to pay for all these races.

eg8r </div></div>

How about the modern pentathlon, if I have it right, where you do an arduous cross-country skiing race, and then have to get down, exhausted, and do some precision marksmanship?

No wonder the Nordic guys dominate (if that's right), since that's how they wage war!

eg8r
08-01-2011, 07:39 AM
LOL, I have only seen snow maybe 4 or 5 times my entire life. No chance of me skiing in a race any time soon. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I did try wakeboarding yesterday and for some reason I think my mind is making this all too hard. I am unable to get up on the board. I either lose the rope, or come up and then fall on my face. I think I am just too tense and missing the technique. We were skiiing off the back of a Monster Energy Ski Nautique with GPS driving and perfect speed control (electronics are so cool these days) so the problem was not the boat or the professional wakeboarder who was helping me out. LOL, my mind was just getting in the way I am sure.

eg8r