PDA

View Full Version : Order a 314 without sending in the butt

griffith_d
09-18-2002, 11:19 AM
I have gotten a quote from Seybert's for a 314 partial and custom work to match the collar with a Meucci. I do not have a backup cue to use, except for the Pred BK and we all know the tip is really too hard for playing well.

Has anyone ordered a 314 shaft to match their butt without sending it in and was pleased with the matchup?

Griff

09-18-2002, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr> I have gotten a quote from Seybert's for a 314 partial and custom work to match the collar with a Meucci. I do not have a backup cue to use, except for the Pred BK and we all know the tip is really too hard for playing well.

Has anyone ordered a 314 shaft to match their butt without sending it in and was pleased with the matchup?

Griff <hr></blockquote>

you're probably better off heading over to annie and having her do it.

dan

=k=
09-18-2002, 12:28 PM
no luck here! took cue to bryan mortt and he matched it by turning shaft. K

Kato
09-18-2002, 01:22 PM
had mine faced off, silver rings put on, and painted by Dennis Searing.

Kato

09-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Griff, I would strongly suggest using a micrometer to accurately measure the diamater of the top edge of your butt and the top edge of your current matching shaft. When you give them this measurement when ordering, they can handpick one out of their inventory that will come closest to matching your collar diamater - so that it is a good flush fit. It may not be an absolutely perfectly flush fit, but will be most likely be a better fit that if you don't give than any info at all other than the brand of cue / thread. - Chris in NC

griffith_d
09-18-2002, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: griffith_d:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I have gotten a quote from Seybert's for a 314 partial and custom work to match the collar with a Meucci. I do not have a backup cue to use, except for the Pred BK and we all know the tip is really too hard for playing well.

Griff &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

dan <hr></blockquote>

yes, I have thought of that. She put my new Talisman tip on. She does good work. Have you had her do any work for you.

Griff

09-18-2002, 05:44 PM
&gt;

dan &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

yes, I have thought of that. She put my new Talisman tip on. She does good work. Have you had her do any work for you.

Griff <hr></blockquote>

let's see...

she's the only one i'll let do tips or shafts for the last couple of years. she reconditioned my rambo (probably not a good idea to do that but she did good work). most of my friends go to her for all kinds of stuff. some of them have fallen in love with a new shaft she's made which is low-deflection and have bought from her.

she has been at it for a while now and has gotten pretty good.

dan

09-18-2002, 06:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Griff, I would strongly suggest using a micrometer to accurately measure the diamater of the top edge of your butt and the top edge of your current matching shaft. When you give them this measurement when ordering, they can handpick one out of their inventory that will come closest to matching your collar diamater - so that it is a good flush fit. It may not be an absolutely perfectly flush fit, but will be most likely be a better fit that if you don't give than any info at all other than the brand of cue / thread. - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

Hi Chris, your right on the money. I ordered a 314 shaft while only giving the make of my cue, I never thought about the micrometer, I just thought theres no way i'm sending my butt away. The fit is not too bad but it would've been better if I used the micrometer like you sujested. Terry

griffith_d
09-18-2002, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> &gt;

dan &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Griff &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

let's see...

she's the only one i'll let do tips or shafts for the last couple of years. she reconditioned my rambo (probably not a good idea to do that but she did good work). most of my friends go to her for all kinds of stuff. some of them have fallen in love with a new shaft she's made which is low-deflection and have bought from her.

she has been at it for a while now and has gotten pretty good.

dan

<hr></blockquote>

Did you know that she moved a couple of doors down.

TonyM
09-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Not to sound rude, but are you a pro? Would it really kill you to live without your cue for a week or two? I'd want the job done right, so I'd send them my cue. But that's me.

Why not temporarily put a softer tip on your BK cue and play with it?

Tony

09-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Griff,
Here is meucci to predator conversion that I recently did for a customer. http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/meucci.htm

For the job to be done right the repairman will need the butt section. If you need one done I can kick it out to you in less than a week.

griffith_d
09-19-2002, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: gypsy:</font><hr> Griff,
Here is meucci to predator conversion that I recently did for a customer. <a target="_blank" href=http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/meucci.htm>http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/meucci.htm</a>

For the job to be done right the repairman will need the butt section. If you need one done I can kick it out to you in less than a week. <hr></blockquote>

Seybert's quoted $208 plus shipping.

Griff

griffith_d
09-19-2002, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TonyM:</font><hr> Not to sound rude, but are you a pro? Would it really kill you to live without your cue for a week or two? I'd want the job done right, so I'd send them my cue. But that's me.

Tony <hr></blockquote>

No, that is not rude. I am not a pro (if I was, I would probably not be on this board), I just play in a weekly tournament or two and I cannot play as well as I would like with the BK.

I just got the BK back from getting it fixed from Predator and got a new Talisman Pro M put on my present playing cue. I was trying to keep the cost down and the stories I have heard of cues being gone for weeks just sounds like a long time.

Griff

griffith_d
09-19-2002, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TonyM:</font><hr> Not to sound rude, but are you a pro? Would it really kill you to live without your cue for a week or two? I'd want the job done right, so I'd send them my cue. But that's me.

Tony <hr></blockquote>

On a second note, I too want the joint to be nice and it would be better to have the butt sent in, I know that.

I also am thinking about getting a custom cue in Cocobola by someone. Will probably be in the $1k range. That will give me the backup I want and the 314 and a custom cue.

Griff

09-19-2002, 08:04 AM
Griff,
That sounds like a pretty good price. I would be able to do this job for $200 + shipping and would need the a meucci shaft to be able to scrap the ringwork off of (if the collar work is decorative). If it is a plain black collar or a single nickle ring in the collar the price would be the same and could be made. I would need it here at the shop for about 4 days for the finish paint work.