PDA

View Full Version : How I would market pool...

bradb
07-30-2011, 05:28 PM
...first of all I would need to win the lottery big time! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

-With the proper funding and no fear of failing because I have lots of cash to throw around, I would set about putting together a tour by doing the following....

-I would define my target audience as 18-35 males who are casual or non-players (the pool addicts are a given.) Spill-over would include all markets. Pool cannot grow unless it reaches out to a wider base.

-I would do some pre market focus testing to identify latent interest among target groups.

- I would hire a top sports PR firm.

-I would hire 10 top players, some would be women, plus a local player and bill it as a "Winner take all shootout!" but I would pay all players a fee up front.

-The best place to start would be a mid sized city where demographics can be more easily tracked. There I would do some early teaser advertising to start market interest. Once the event draws nearer I would rent a large venue that will meet my overhead with enough seats.

-The teasers would be followed by strong PR on local media. That would include sending promo packages out to all the newspaper, radio and TV sports outlets and getting them onside with player background. If I had Reyes I would send a short clip of his greatest shot ever made! (These people are lazy, they will gobble up anything sent free they can make a story out of.)

-Next comes a well placed TV ad campaign in local time slots. The ads would focus on just a few of the players. I would also provide a bit of drama by creating a grudge match build up. I would pit a local player against a hot shot outsider to create local fan appeal.

-My objective is to create player personality awareness among targets and generate curiosity to learn more.

- I would send my PR people out to every pool hall and pub with posters and ticket info. I would even provide incentives tied into these business to get them on side.

-The key matches would be in consumer friendly time periods over one weekend. I would send video updates to the local TV stations for continued awareness.

-Last but not least, I would not only invite Strickland... I would send a limo out to pick him up and deliver him to the arena like Caesar coming in victorious from the Punic wars!

-The above exercise would be a test market sample to see what will work best. It may even be a loss because of initial PR outlay, but its a feeler to see if its viable for a bigger market and a draw for telecast. But if it fails completely... then what a party!!

Well there it is for any body who wants to know how to market pool and maybe even add a few ideas! Now where's the money guy?

Brad

jjinfla
07-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Kevin Trudeau - and it didn't work.

I wonder how much money he lost. Must have been a bundle.

jjinfla
07-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Over the years there have been many different formats put together for TV and non of them attracted an audiance.

Remember the teams of men and women competing against each other?

And men in different formats where they eliminate each other for a winner take all prize.

And just recently Earl vs Shane in a race to 100 for a winner take all prize of $20,000.

I often wondered if the winner take all formats really were winner take all or if there was some saving going on.

Fran Crimi
07-30-2011, 09:39 PM
IMO, Kevin Trudeau never invested in pool. His plan was an online gambling scheme that backfired when the U.S. government passed a law banning online gambling.

bradb
07-31-2011, 09:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the years there have been many different formats put together for TV and non of them attracted an audiance.
</div></div>

Thats why I wouldn't go for TV, you need to establish a market first.

I think city to city events with lots of promo is the way to go. The winner take all format has qualifiers I'm sure, but it should really be more about the players... for instance nobody cares how much money a cage fighter will win, they want to see the fight.

But you are right there have been some various special events tried, but I don't think they promoted them right, they always just go for the knowledgeble pool fans, they need to attract new fans the way the Willy–Fats match-ups did. That's much harder to do but that market can be big.

Brad