PDA

View Full Version : Play time or Practice Time?

Ludba
09-18-2002, 02:17 PM
I'm interested to know how many hours you guys play pool during a week on average. And more specifically, of that how much is devoted to actual practice, as opposed to tournament/league time, goofing around, etc. I realize that tournament and league play improve your game, but I wanna know how much time you spend on focused practice.

Kato
09-18-2002, 02:47 PM
What most people would define as practice I never do (drills, controlled situations), when I'm alone I just hit balls. Probably holding me back.

Kato

09-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Practice about 5 days a week--1-2 hours per day, and try to maintain a very focused practice routine. Even if just hitting balls, I work on solidifying my fundamentals and setup. Next month, when tournaments kick into high gear, my practice will probably drop 30-50%.

Beginning next month, I will be back to 3-4 tournaments a week in addition to a friendly match 1-2 per week.

09-18-2002, 03:40 PM
When I used to play all the time, I tried to dedicate at least a couple hours each day to practice. You see some guys (or girls) in the pool room hardly ever hitting balls and spending most of their time just hanging out. I did some of that too, but I actually like to practice by myself, so it worked out. However, it is equally important to play against people - and like I said in another thread that generated some critism - not just for fun. Try to find some tournaments to play in or match up. It doesn't really matter, just so long as there is some pressure on you to perform. I don't think that either (play time or practice time) can be substituted for the other. You really need both.

Ludba
09-19-2002, 03:35 PM
I really agree with you, Joe Bloe. To improve, a pool player must have focused practice to improve specific skills and competitive play to handle the pressure of pulling it all together to play a great game. I manage to put in about 6 hours a day, five days a week; and about 1-2 hours of that per day is really focused practice. After 2 hours of that kind of practice, my mind turns to mush, and I have to have someone to play against in order to keep up the excitement of the game. When my pool workout tape comes in, I may be able to make my practice/play sessions more efficient, but it is an amazing feat to me for someone to PRACTICE more than 3 hours a day.

Karatemom
09-19-2002, 03:48 PM
One day out of the weekend, I will do focused drills for approximately 5 - 6 hours. Monday nights, I compete in a handicapped tourney, which depending on how I do, can last anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours. Starting in October, I will be shooting on Tuesday night leagues. Once a month, I take a day to do Q-Skill, just for myself to see improvement.

Even though the tourneys have helped, and I don't get much time to practice throughout the week, the one day during the weekend helps immensely. I work on the things that I have the most trouble with, english shots, long shots, draw shots, etc.

I have been doing this schedule for a month now and was shooting almost everyday before that. I must be doing something right because they jacked up me a handicap in the tourney and everyone is telling me I'm improving, LOL.

All in all, I probably shoot about 10 hours a week. May not seem like much, but I can't expect immediate results overnight anyway.

Heide