PDA

View Full Version : New ABP rules for 10 Ball

jjinfla
08-01-2011, 05:24 AM
At least I believe the ABP came up with the new rule. I saw it for the first time last night watching the match from La.

Call every shot and if the player misses then the incoming player has the option of taking the shot or giving it back.
Seems to take a lot of luck out of the game.

Icon of Sin
08-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Thats the World Standardized (Official whatever) Tournament Rules. Been like that the last couple years. Most small tournies and action still favor Texas Express though.

Rich R.
08-01-2011, 06:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least I believe the ABP came up with the new rule. I saw it for the first time last night watching the match from La.

Call every shot and if the player misses then the incoming player has the option of taking the shot or giving it back.
Seems to take a lot of luck out of the game. </div></div>
Can they give the missed shot back, even if it is a good hit? I don't think that is the case, but, if it is, I don't agree with it. That would take away the strategy of playing a two way shot.

IIRC, in the world rules, if there is a bad hit, you can give the shot back but, if it is a good hit, the shot is yours.
I may be wrong and I will defer to Fran on this point.

bradb
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Here's the rules: I don't believe much has changed since I saw the US 10ball championship in Vegas.

http://www.playbca.com/Leagues/Rules/10Ball.aspx

jjinfla
08-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Here is an example of the new rule. Say you are shooting the 1 ball and you hang it in the pocket. Opponent comes to the table but finds the cue ball stuck behind other balls and he has no shot at the 1. He then can give the table back to the original shooter.

It is supposed to take away the luck factor. For top players luck is not a big factor; for guys like me it is everything.

But like Rich says, it takes away the two way shot.

Could be that the players there didn't like that new rule and decided not to play since there were only 18 players.

bradb
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I never observed that rule at the matches but as you noted the pros play so consistently those sort of situations rarely happen so it could have been in effect then.

There was one strange ruling though that I never understood and even other people sitting next to me were confused about:

Sometimes a player would contest a shot his opponent made trying to escape from a safety. He would call over the ref and the ref would place the object ball somewhere hidden from the Qball. (In one situation the ref actually re-racked the remaining balls to hide the object ball.) Then the other player had to attempt to hit it again?

I couldn't find that example anywhere in the rule book?

Brad