PDA

View Full Version : Ordered weight vs. Actual weight

griffith_d
09-18-2002, 07:27 PM
How many of us ordered a cue at a weight and did not get it. I ordered my Meucci at 19 oz. and when I got it the tag on the cue said 19.5 oz.

My recently purchased Pred. BK was ordered at 18 oz. There was no designation on the stick itself as was the Meucci.

I went and weighed both sticks yesterday on the postal scale at work (very accuate). The Meucci was 1.22 pounds(19.5 oz.) and the BK to my surprise was 1.16 pounds (18.5 oz.).

So I did not get the weight of the BK that I wanted and would have never been known unless I weighed it.

Go weigh you cues, you might be suprised.

Griff

Troy
09-18-2002, 07:36 PM
How many players could detect that half ounce difference in the way their cue feels ???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr> How many of us ordered a cue at a weight and did not get it. I ordered my Meucci at 19 oz. and when I got it the tag on the cue said 19.5 oz.

My recently purchased Pred. BK was ordered at 18 oz. There was no designation on the stick itself as was the Meucci.

I went and weighed both sticks yesterday on the postal scale at work (very accuate). The Meucci was 1.22 pounds(19.5 oz.) and the BK to my suprise was 1.16 pounds (18.5 oz.).

So I did not get the weight of the BK that I wanted and would have never been known unless I weighed it.

Go weigh you cues, you might be suprised.

Griff <hr></blockquote>

griffith_d
09-18-2002, 07:46 PM
Telling the difference was really not the post,..as you can see that I would never had known the difference unless I weighed it. It was getting what you ordered.

But now that you mention it,..I am sure many players can tell the difference.

Griff

Troy
09-18-2002, 08:22 PM
This thread reminds me of shaft re-tapers I did for two customers. Both were not too happy because they didn't think I accomplished what they requested. They both thought their shafts were still too thick. One of them bought a digital caliper to check my work.

One requested 12.75mm and the shaft measured 12.72mm.
One requested 12.5mm and the shaft measured 12.51mm.

After measuring, they were both very pleased.
So was I, but I had to chuckle.

Troy

Sid_Vicious
09-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Uhhhh, I can. Believe it or not, I can feel the difference between a red circle CB and a blue circle CB. Cues are much easier than cue ball differences. I'll wager that lots of players knows 1/2 ounce changes in cues...sid

PQQLK9
09-18-2002, 09:20 PM
My 18oz. Predator BK weighed in at 18.4oz...I weighed it at my local pro shop...(I knew it was HEAVY when I first picked it up). The weight goes up to 18.456789 oz. with a chalked tip.

Cueless Joey
09-18-2002, 10:42 PM
I was Judd Fuller's shop one time. I told him one of his cues was a little thinner. He said no way. He calipered it. Sure enough it was. Then he gave me four of his beauties to arrange them according to weight. I got all right. He couldn't believe it. lol
Keith Hernandez of the Mets. Used to mark his bats according to their weight w/out a scale. The bat rep couldn't believe it when Keith arranged them precisely.
But, half an oz heavier cue doesn't bother. Lighter, that's a different matter.

09-19-2002, 05:49 AM
I have a production cue with two factory-supplied shafts and a factory-fitted Predator shaft. Each shaft has a 12.75mm tip and all have very similar taper, but the weights of the shafts vary considerably. The Predator shaft weighs 4.14 oz. The factory-supplied shafts weigh 4.05 oz. and 4.44 oz. I prefer to play with the 4.44-oz. factory shaft; I happen to like the weight-forward balance it gives the cue, and it seems to gives me more feel than I get with the Predator shaft.

My point is that shafts vary in weight and that this variation affects the weight and balance of the cue as a whole. Note that some makers of custom cues state that they supply shafts of matched weight.

Regards,
E. Manet

griffith_d
09-19-2002, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> This thread reminds me of shaft re-tapers I did for two customers. Both were not too happy because they didn't think I accomplished what they requested. They both thought their shafts were still too thick. One of them bought a digital caliper to check my work.

One requested 12.75mm and the shaft measured 12.72mm.
One requested 12.5mm and the shaft measured 12.51mm.

After measuring, they were both very pleased.
So was I, but I had to chuckle.

Troy <hr></blockquote>

Mmmmm...why the comments like this. I posted this to say that you don't always get what you order. You are right, 1/2 oz one way or another does not effect me.

But, you must admit there has to be something to 1/2 oz difference, because most cues come in 1/2 oz increments.

Griff

09-19-2002, 11:47 AM
I am a great admirer of your painting "Le Dejeuner sur l'Herbe". I didn't know you were still alive. I thought you passed on in 1883?

09-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Merci bien! I still paint well, in fact; but I do play billiards like a man who has been dead for 120 years. I must warn you that the tables are terrible here. However, I still defeat that imbecile Degas with perfect ease! Pissarro sends you his regards. Zut!--Berthe will never learn to mix a proper black.

E.M.

09-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Ha! Terrific. You brightened my day. I forgot where I read it, but one of them actually was a pretty accomplished billiard player. /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
09-19-2002, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> How many players could detect that half ounce difference in the way their cue feels ???

Most, I would expect, could detect it easily. In July, I was visiting Mike Erwin's custom cue shop in Mississippi. I picked up one of his cues, stroked it through my fingers, and told him that the shaft was smaller at the bridge than at the ferrule. He said no way, he never changes his taper bar. I said "then someone must have sanded a little more in the bridge area". He finally got out the calipers and the shaft was four thousandths of an inch undersize in the bridge area. I'm sure I could have still felt it if it were two thou.

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
09-19-2002, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr>Go weigh you cues, you might be suprised.<hr></blockquote>
Just curious. What was your scale's resolution? Has it been calibrated lately?

Fred

griffith_d
09-19-2002, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: griffith_d:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;Go weigh you cues, you might be suprised.&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
Just curious. What was your scale's resolution? Has it been calibrated lately?

Fred <hr></blockquote>

I work for Eagle Air Freight and their scales are very accurate, as they are directly linked with postal rates.
Griff