PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McConnell-- hostages and ransom admitted

Soflasnapper
08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
August 03, 2011

Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
"I think some of our members may have thought the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting. Most of us didn't think that. What we did learn is this -- it's a hostage that's worth ransoming. And it focuses the Congress on something that must be done."

-- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), quoted by the Washington Post, on the debt ceiling negotiations.

Kevin Drum's take on this:

Fine. I have no problem with talk like this. And on the bright side, this means that the pearl clutchers at Fox News will stop hyperventilating about Democrats who called Republicans hostage takers. Right?

Of course not, Kevin!

LWW
08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Is English even your second language?

That doesn't say anything like what you are implying that it says.

Gayle in MD
08-04-2011, 11:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">August 03, 2011

Extra Bonus Quote of the Day
"I think some of our members may have thought the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting. Most of us didn't think that. What we did learn is this -- it's a hostage that's worth ransoming. And it focuses the Congress on something that must be done."

-- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), quoted by the Washington Post, on the debt ceiling negotiations.

Kevin Drum's take on this:

Fine. I have no problem with talk like this. And on the bright side, this means that the pearl clutchers at Fox News will stop hyperventilating about Democrats who called Republicans hostage takers. Right?

Of course not, Kevin! </div></div>

I think McConnells's statements, promising more obstructionism, was the single greatest cause of what happenend in the markets today.

If the U.S. does not commit to investing in a jobs recovery as the number one goal, rather then deficit reduction, appropriately borrowing to build the economy back to job creation, investing in all of the basic cures, investing in re-buiolding ur infrastructure, addressing the energy crisis, investing in education, all job creators, the markets have no place to safely invest in our bond market.

Only by lending us money, will the global markets be strengthened.

Corporations are not going to invest in American jobs, regardless of what we do with taxes, that's allready been proven.

The fact that REpiglicans left Washington D.C., and went on vacation, without settling the FAA investments, losing about four hundred million dollars, all in an effort to deny Demoratic rural areas of investments in their airports, and as another attempt to strip Union rights, shows you how much they care about causing harm to the country with their hostage taking policies.
G.

Qtec
08-05-2011, 03:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I think some of our members may have thought <span style='font-size: 26pt'>the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting.</span> </div></div>

Its pretty clear to me.

Q

LWW
08-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Nothing is very clear to you.

Gayle in MD
08-05-2011, 08:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I think some of our members may have thought <span style='font-size: 26pt'>the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting.</span> </div></div>

Its pretty clear to me.

Q </div></div>

Clear to all but the flyover idiots, who know nothing about running the government, or about the historical damages when Repiglicans block progress!

McConnell, AND Boehner, both admitting they got what they wanted, the worst market losses since 9/11.

PIGS!

G.

Soflasnapper
08-05-2011, 08:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is English even your second language?

That doesn't say anything like what you are implying that it says. </div></div>

I'm not trying to imply anything.

The Dems and other critics of the GOP's just past negotiations used language like hostage-taking, ransom, blackmail, extortion, etc., to describe what was going on. Terrorism or terrorists, I also heard, although as attributed to Biden in his private meeting with the Dem caucus, he denies that report, implying others may have said it, but he did not.

Some on the right have made such language the issue, instead of the actions characterized that way, which they support as legitimate. Pearl-clutching, fainting away in astonishment, why, they DO declah, such outlandish and hateful rhetoric as they have never heard or seen before.

So here's McConnell embracing that language, comfortable with its implications, and bragging that they found something worth getting paid ransom for, and some in their caucus found worth shooting instead of even getting the ransom, which is the key threat of a hostage taker-- being willing to shoot or harm the hostage. That makes the threat real enough to pay a ransom.

Fact is that this hostage language is commonplace in national politics, and you can find citations going back decades.

But when Dems used it now, in this current situation where it is entirely apt, the scolds and Greek chorus of the might choir of the right thundered down their denunciations-- how DARE they say this??? Outrageous! Well, I never...!! Etc.

But now that McConnell has fully embraced the metaphor, explicitly, in just those words, it appears there was nothing false about describing it in these terms, and it was rather the Greek chorus' criticism of such language that was way out of line.

eg8r
08-05-2011, 09:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who know nothing about running the government, </div></div>Why are you bringing up Obama?

eg8r

LWW
08-05-2011, 09:22 AM
So the democrooks in the meeting who say he said this are all lying, and Joe is telling the truth?

And you know this how?

LWW
08-05-2011, 09:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So here's McConnell embracing that language, comfortable with its implications, and bragging that they found something worth getting paid ransom for, and some in their caucus found worth shooting instead of even getting the ransom, which is the key threat of a hostage taker-- being willing to shoot or harm the hostage. That makes the threat real enough to pay a ransom.</div></div>

Have you any level of English comprehension at all?

Gayle in MD
08-05-2011, 09:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is English even your second language?

The Dems and other critics of the GOP's just past negotiations used language like hostage-taking, ransom, blackmail, extortion, etc., to describe what was going on. Terrorism or terrorists, I also heard, although as attributed to Biden in his private meeting with the Dem caucus, he denies that report, implying others may have said it, but he did not.

Some on the right have made such language the issue, instead of the actions characterized that way, which they support as legitimate. Pearl-clutching, fainting away in astonishment, why, they DO declah, such outlandish and hateful rhetoric as they have never heard or seen before.

So here's McConnell embracing that language, comfortable with its implications, and bragging that they found something worth getting paid ransom for, and some in their caucus found worth shooting instead of even getting the ransom, which is the key threat of a hostage taker-- being willing to shoot or harm the hostage. That makes the threat real enough to pay a ransom.

Fact is that this hostage language is commonplace in national politics, and you can find citations going back decades.

But when Dems used it now, in this current situation where it is entirely apt, the scolds and Greek chorus of the might choir of the right thundered down their denunciations-- how DARE they say this??? Outrageous! Well, I never...!! Etc.

But now that McConnell has fully embraced the metaphor, explicitly, in just those words, it appears there was nothing false about describing it in these terms, and it was rather the Greek chorus' criticism of such language that was way out of line.

</div></div>

Failing to pay what they owe, is a Repiglican thing.

We already know, that most of the "Investors" who walked out on their mortgages, and left the keys on the counter, were the same wealthy investors that Repiglicans protect.

Not paying their debts, became a repiglican thing under Bush, who spent like a drunken sailor for eight years, and didn't pay for a damn thing! Tea Partiers proved they don't want to pay America's debts, either. Where I come from, that is considered FRAUD!

McConnell, and Boehner, have admitted, they loved seeing Americans lose more money in their 401K's, and seeing another market crash.

That's clearly what they both said. Boehner, said he got 98% of what he wanted. What he wanted was to obstruct raising the debt limit. That clearly led to the market losses over the last ten days.

Econmists of note, from the left and the right, and Major Heads Of State, have declared the idiocy of the Repiglican policies of the last several years, and the resulting damages on a global level...and particularly this last REpiglican policy, of trying to refuse to pay the national debts, and crash the markets.

Of couse, the right doesn't know about how crazy foreigners think Repiglican Policies are. They don't air it on Fux.

G.

Soflasnapper
08-05-2011, 06:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the democrooks in the meeting who say he said this are all lying, and Joe is telling the truth?

And you know this how? </div></div>

I didn't say one way or the other.

I mention it was reported of him, and that he has denied it. Both are true. Which of these true facts (the report and then the denial) is accurate as to what Biden said? I have no idea.

Sometimes things ARE attributed falsely to the wrong person in a conversation, as you've just done here.

Soflasnapper
08-05-2011, 06:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So here's McConnell embracing that language, comfortable with its implications, and bragging that they found something worth getting paid ransom for, and some in their caucus found worth shooting instead of even getting the ransom, which is the key threat of a hostage taker-- being willing to shoot or harm the hostage. That makes the threat real enough to pay a ransom.</div></div>

Have you any level of English comprehension at all? </div></div>

So the democrooks in the meeting who say he said this are all lying, and Joe is telling the truth?

And you know this how?

What a tool.

ugotda7
08-05-2011, 06:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I think some of our members may have thought <span style='font-size: 26pt'>the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting.</span> </div></div>

Its pretty clear to me.

Q </div></div>

Clear to all but the flyover idiots, who know nothing about running the government, or about the historical damages when Repiglicans block progress!

McConnell, AND Boehner, both admitting they got what they wanted, the worst market losses since 9/11.

PIGS!

G. </div></div>

http://www.hamovhotov.com/fun/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/i-see-dumb-people-everywhere.jpg

Gayle in MD
09-14-2011, 11:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I think some of our members may have thought <span style='font-size: 26pt'>the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting.</span> </div></div>

Its pretty clear to me.

Q </div></div>

PIGS!

G. </div></div>

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>We Must Destroy Repiglican Fascism Before It's Too Late! </span>

Gayle in MD
09-14-2011, 11:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is English even your second language?

</div></div>

<span style='font-size: 20pt'> We Must Destroy Repiglican Fascism Before It's Too Late! </span>

ugotda7
09-14-2011, 10:31 PM
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!