PDA

View Full Version : pool in America...your opinion

cueball1950
09-18-2002, 10:41 PM
i just read with great interest the post on "DEAD STROKE,,POOL IN AMERICA. I will buy it if it comes to video. Now about my post. I was just wondering where everyone else thinks it is in America? Can or will pool ever become big business in this country? What is the state of it in your own opinion? Can anyone make it work? Do the players need to turn down there personalities some for it to survive. I read about all the coverage in other countries and it just makes me wonder.......Mike

TomBrooklyn
09-18-2002, 11:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cueball1950:</font><hr> Do the players need to turn down there personalities some for it to survive. <hr></blockquote>I would say just the opposite. Personality sells. If you turned down the personalities any more than they already are, you'd have the average viewer hoping for a power outage if you made them watch a pool match for more than fifteen minutes. Get some players snapping sticks and tossing some stuff around and viewership will triple overnight. Even though I don't need that to watch a good match, I would definately be more inclined to show up if I knew there were some hot heads there ready to blow up at any moment. This issue is no-brainer. =TB=

rackmup
09-19-2002, 11:03 AM
My opinion? I am glad pool is in America. It would be too difficult to get to if I had to play in another country. The cost of airfare alone would kill me!

Regards,

Ken

ChrisW
09-19-2002, 12:40 PM
I agree with Tom. Not that I would be more interested in watching if guys were fighting and breaking sticks. In most other sports it takes something crazy to happen for it to become noticed. Dennis Rodman would be my first example. I know plenty of people watched basketball before he came around but I would bet a lot more watched it because of him after he showed up. How many people do you think knew there was a U.S. woman's soccer team before a player ripped her shirt off?
Most of the time a rising or established star of a sport can boost viewership (such as Tiger, A-Rod, or the Willaims sisters) without changing the way people view the sport.
I don't see either of these two things happening in pool. I think we came close with Allison and Karen.
If pool were to gain popularity as a spectator sport I believe changes would be made that would make the game very different than it is today and I like the way it is now.

My opinion
Chris --- [would like pool to grow as a finesse game not a bangers game]

ChrisW
09-19-2002, 01:15 PM
If you suvived the cost I doubt you would make it 5 minutes in an airport with a case that looks like a machine gun. Then there is the metal detectors!!! I now travel wearing only a "speedo". Speeds up the strip search process.

Chris

Jay M
09-19-2002, 01:19 PM
Oh, come on, admit it, you'd love to see something like this:

&lt;Flashing Strobes and Lasers&gt;
&lt;Loud semi-oriental sounding music&gt;
Michael Buffer:
Ladies and Gentlemen, the first finalist in this years Mezopotamian Classic 9 Ball Invitational is the current BCA Open Champion, 3 time Florida Pro Open Player of the year and two time loser at the World Championships... He is a master of the art of Tae Kwon Do here is..... The Korean Dragon Chaaaarrrlliiiee Wiiiiiillllliaaammms
&lt;Small explosion....big puff of smoke&gt;
&lt;Charlie enters wearing black spandex and displaying his hairless chest, twirling his cue like a staff and ending with a "Dragon Kick"&gt;
Michael Buffer: and his opponent in this contest will be....
&lt;Strobes and Lasers&gt;
&lt;Hank Williams "A Country Boy Can Survive" starts&gt;
Michael Buffer: 5 time World Champion, 5 Time US Open Champion, loser of countless contests and master of the art of "Bi Chin Agin" Eeeaaarrrlll "The Pearl" Striiiiiccckkkllaaanndd
&lt;puff of smoke&gt;
&lt;Earl enters wearing yellow spandex and a cutoff jean jacket (CueTec logo proudly displayed on the back) with a Nehi in hand&gt;
Michael Buffer: This bout will be on a 30 second shot clock pro express rules apply now both of you come to the table and shake hands....
&lt;intimidating staring contest between Earl and Charlie while any rules are clarified and cues are inspected for legality&gt;
Michael Buffer: And now....Let's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmbbbblllllleeeee
&lt;all Lights go out and the table light comes on with both players preparing to lag&gt;

No offense meant to either of the players, they are both good people, I was just using them in satire.

Jay M

Wally_in_Cincy
09-19-2002, 01:34 PM
I'd love to see THAT!

Actually I'd like to see that in the WPBA /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Imagine a staredown between Karen Corr and the diminutive Gerda Hofstatter.....

At least they got rid of that silly high-fiving at the introduction.

I still think if pool was on at the same time each week it would have much better ratings.

ChrisW
09-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Maybe your right!

Now is that much different than how the tournament of champions were introduced?
Smoke filled entrance and loud a anouncer.

Chris

09-19-2002, 05:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ChrisW:</font><hr> I agree with Tom. Not that I would be more interested in watching if guys were fighting and breaking sticks. In most other sports it takes something crazy to happen for it to become noticed. Dennis Rodman would be my first example. I know plenty of people watched basketball before he came around but I would bet a lot more watched it because of him after he showed up. How many people do you think knew there was a U.S. woman's soccer team before a player ripped her shirt off?
Most of the time a rising or established star of a sport can boost viewership (such as Tiger, A-Rod, or the Willaims sisters) without changing the way people view the sport.
I don't see either of these two things happening in pool. I think we came close with Allison and Karen.
If pool were to gain popularity as a spectator sport I believe changes would be made that would make the game very different than it is today and I like the way it is now.

My opinion
Chris --- [would like pool to grow as a finesse game not a bangers game]
<hr></blockquote>

Maybe one of the girls could take their shirt off after winning a title and that could possibly spark some interest from ESPN and the world!

I bet that could make a difference!