PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Ramsay

eg8r
08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Lately I have been addicted to watching the different Gordon Ramsay reality shows. It is amazing to me how a chef can be such a celebrity but this man seems to be everywhere right now. I don't like all the foul language but I am intrigued that a chef can be such a rockstar these days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

So two things have been bugging me. First, do you think he might have a bit of a problem with standing still. On the show Kitchen Nightmares every time he addresses the camera it seems like he cannot stand still. He is constantly bouncing and moving around. Do you think that is how he really is, or do you think the producers try to get him all pumped up and excited for the camera? Understand I am not referring to the yelling, arguments, etc that normally happen in the kitchens when he is around, but rather when he is by himself talking to the camera.

Second, in on episode of Hell's Kitchen he is talking about a lamb plate that one of the contestants made and said it was an insult to such a great animal. Then he says, he could never have sold that plate for his normal $87 price. I was stunned. $87 for one plate of food. So that got me thinking about what I normally spend when dining out. My wife and I go to "expensive" restaurants maybe twice a year (Valentines Day and Anniversary). When I say expensive to me that means at least $100 for our meal. I find that exorbitant but we like to try different "top" restaurants in the area to see if they are worth the money. I will say, I have never been to one of these restaurants and thought, WOW that food is so good I don't mind paying that much money. I have always, 100% of the time, left saying, that food was great but I just cannot fathom spending that much money for food on any sort of regular basis.

How about all of you? What do you think about paying high prices for food? Is it acceptable if cooked by a famous chef like Ramsay? Is it normal for "special" nights but nothing more? Do you consider a $100 meal cheap (not meaning McD's cheap but a normal fare for a decent dinner).

eg8r

Soflasnapper
08-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I eat out rarely, and when I do, I stick to what I consider medium-priced places. Something no more than mid-$20s entrees, and just as likely, mid- to higher-teens for entrees.

Plus plus plus, of course, especially if the table is drinking a bottle or bottles of wine.

I'd guess I'm mainly getting a party of two out the door for $60 to $70 as a top end kind of figure, with a considerably lower average price.

Occasionally I've gotten soaked, and as a hint, if there are no prices on the menu, you are going to be shocked when the bill comes.

cushioncrawler
08-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Nowadays i uzually eat out once a week, on my own, if i am in town. On the way home, i ring the fish'n'chip shop and order $5 worth of chips (ie fries, enuff for 2 really), and 1 piece of flake (ie shark, in batter, $4:80), lots of plain salt (i keep a big shaker of salt in my car just in case), and eat it on the way home, i am uzually licking my whiskers just az i get to our gate, nice.

Got diddled last week, i must hav got someone else's order. Instead of the piece of flake i ordered, they gave me 2 potato-cakes (ie a big slice of potato in batter). It aint worthwhile mentioning it to them -- but i will if it happens again.
A sure sign that privately run fish'n'chip shops karnt be trusted. This sort of essential service shood be run by the Gov.
mac.

Sev
08-20-2011, 08:23 PM
There is just so good you can make any meal.
I enjoy fine dining however there comes a point when you are paying for the prestige of eating at a particular establishment rather than the preparation of the meal.

eg8r
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
We are fortunate in that neither I or my wife drink alcohol so our bill is always cheaper than other couples we might go to dinner with. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I don't eat at places that don't list their prices though, I hate surprises. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r