PDA

View Full Version : Wei Table explanation for new posters

Jay M
09-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Just a quick explanation of all those strange symbols you may see running around in the various posts. Rather than explain it in each thread, I figured it would be a good thing(TM) to give a link and some explanation. If the Mods have the "Sticky post" functionality to keep it available, that would help.

To the newer posters on the board that aren't familiar with the "Wei RSB Pool Table", it's a tool designed to allow us to diagram our shots for others to look at. Whenever you see something that looks like:

START(
%Aq1H1%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg9V9%Wp1I4%Xh0W2
)END

You can go to http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/ and see what the person is talking about. all you do is copy the text from the word start to the word end (select the text and either right click->Copy or press ctrl + C on your keyboard. go to the page above and click the green "Paste" button and you will see the diagram.

If you try it with the shot above, you should see a full rack except the 1 ball which has been moved above the headstring and an arrow from the cue ball to the 1 showing it being shot in.

HTH and welcome to the new people (I saw 4 registering when I looked a few minutes ago)

Jay M

9 Ball Girl
09-19-2002, 09:34 AM
And I would just like to add that if you want to post a particular layout that you may have had, move the balls around on the WEI table, click on the red Copy button, and then when you post your message here, right click on the post area and click paste. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

stickman
09-19-2002, 10:00 AM
I have used this link that Rod posted quite a while back, and have a shortcut to the Wei table on my desktop. This makes it very handy for me. http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html#download

AzHousePro
09-19-2002, 10:57 AM
You can also post on the forums at AzB and include the code for the table layout in the bottom box on the post to have the table show right there in your message.

Mike

09-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Thanks for these clear instructions. I don't know much computer terminology and have been unable to follow Wei's instructions. Now I can enjoy another part of the Board. Well done!

Martin Beck

NH_Steve
09-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Now that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
09-19-2002, 05:56 PM
The last time I checked the Wei table would not work with Netscape and if you don't have Shockwave it also will not work. Nobody told me about that and it was a long time before I got it working. I don't suppose anyone uses Netscape any more.
KenCT

heater451
09-19-2002, 06:03 PM
Netscape will work, if you use a downloaded copy of the table--at least, I can get it to, in version 4.73.

I can't get it to work from the http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html link.

==========================

Troy
09-19-2002, 06:40 PM
For Netscape 4.7 or 6.1, I use this link -- http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html
It did require that I download "Shockwave".

Troy...~~~ Uses Netscape exclusively... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr> The last time I checked the Wei table would not work with Netscape and if you don't have Shockwave it also will not work. Nobody told me about that and it was a long time before I got it working. I don't suppose anyone uses Netscape any more.
KenCT <hr></blockquote>

heater451
09-19-2002, 07:32 PM
I actually already had Flash Player 6 installed, but I re-installed it, and now the .EDU link works (Netscape 4.73).

I used to be a Netscape guy, but decreasing support for technology, incompatibility with some code, and the assumption by AOL/Time-Warner sent me to IE. I still use Netscape for email, and Composer, to grab the occasional webpage, and pull the page media down with it.

Also, there's one feature that I've never seen in IE--the ability to "Open Frame in New Window", if you're in a frameset.

================

Rod
09-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Heater, I have ,Open Frame in New Window, with IE 5.5 with a right click in an open area. I thought it was standard. If it isn't I'll bet I can find it for you.

SPetty
09-20-2002, 06:34 AM
I'm using IE 6, and it doesn't have Open Frame In New Window. Heater, the way I get around it when I want to is to right click and get Properties. That shows the URL and then you can copy and paste it. A little extra step, but it accomplishes what you want.

Rod
09-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Tisk, Tisk, hum I posted this a while back. There was very few reads so it went off the front page in a hurry. You know more important things like the shoot out at the CCB O.K. Corral that isn't over. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Here is a message from a viewer of Langa List.

Fred: In regards to the IE 5 accessories [see "Free IE5 Tools Still Work In IE6 http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-08-22.htm#3 ]...they work fine on IE 6 and Win2K, XP and even .Net Server RC1. Here is a link to all the different toys that Microsoft still has available and that I've tested on the above systems: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/previous/webaccess/default.asp

IE 6 it seems to me is nothing more than a glorified 5.5 with more problems. Anyway I have used this for some time and I wouldn't be without the useful tools. The zoom in and out is really handy for those tiny pictures. Click on the download now for, Web Accessories from Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories. In advance here is what it says since some of you use the old crank phone for your connection./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

This kit includes a selection of some very useful utilities for Internet Explorer 5. Most of these are activated by "right-clicking" on an appropriate item in the browser and choosing the associated command. For example, if you want to use the Text Highlighter, select some text with the cursor, then right-click on the selected text and choose "Highlight" from the list of commands. Others such as the Image Toggler and Quick Search are located in the links bar.

Note: These tools are only recommended for Internet Explorer 5.

Check out these components of Web Accessories for Internet Explorer 5:

Open Frame in New Window
Tired of HTML frames boxing you in? Ever wish you could see a page without all those annoying sidebars? Now you can! Just right-click anywhere in the frame you're interested in, and select Open in New Frame.

Quick Search
This Web Accessory lets you reach the search engines of your choice faster than ever. For example, typing "av ActiveX" into the address bar launches a search with Alta Vista on the keyword "ActiveX." To activate this feature, select it from the links bar and then click on the "Save" button.

Zoom In/Zoom Out
Get up close and personal. This Web Accessory lets you zoom in and out of any image on a Web page. Just right-click on it and select Zoom In or Zoom Out.

Image Toggler
Now you can turn off images for extra speed, and turn them back on again, even more quickly and easily. Simply look for Toggle Images in the Links bar and click it.

Text Highlighter
This Web Accessory lets you highlight text in a document just like you would in Microsoft Word. It's easy. Select your text, then right-click and choose Highlight. This tool is very useful for reading long documents.

Web Search
Here's another tool for searching faster than ever. With this Web Accessory you can select keywords on a Web page, right-click, and choose Web Search. Your selected words go directly to a default search engine.

Links List
Ever wish you could see all the links on a page? Just right-click anywhere and select Links Lists, and you'll get a new window with every link on the page in a convenient list format. Then just click any link to navigate.

Image List
Finding out what images sizes are and how long they take to download at various connection speeds has never been easier. This tool will also display all the images on a web page in a separate window and display the file size and the size in pixels. This is a must have for Web Developers.

heater451
09-20-2002, 12:34 PM
This is really more of a response to Rod, but I wanted to say that I've had practice in pulling the properties on HTML pages. I usually use the 'properties' selection to find media (it's a poor man's web hacking--sometimes people try to "protect" media, but there's usually a way to get it anyway).

As for "Open Frame in New Window" with IE, I was beginning to think it was a version issue, as I was running 5.01 (SP'd), but just upgraded to 5.5 sp2 yesterday, and no luck. However, I went to ye Olde Google, and found this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/previous/webaccess/ie5wa.asp

=====================

heater451
09-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Something about it seemed familiar, once I got to the Microsoft site. . . .

You would think that they would have included the extras in the last service pack, or put it in the online updates (then again, it might be in there somewhere. . . .).

====================

Rod
09-20-2002, 07:23 PM
Heater,
I don't think MS ever would make it that simple. It sure is a handy little tool though. Another one I like is copy to folder or move to folder with a right click.