PDA

View Full Version : Best Balls - Aramith Super Pro or Centennials?

Chris in NC
09-19-2002, 10:38 AM
After 6 years, I'm planning on purchasing new sets of balls to go with our new Gabriel's tables arriving next month. My question for any of you who may have played with both and have an opinion - which ball is better, the Brunswick Centennial or the Aramith Super Pro, and why?

Just as importantly, how would you compare the 2 cue balls that go with each set - the Brunswick blue circle vs the Aramith Saluc logo cue ball, in exactly how they both play and how they may differ? Thanks for any feedback. - Chris in NC

09-19-2002, 10:44 AM
I think the Centennial is the best ball. I don't know the technical aspects of the materials used, but they seem to play better than any other, pardon the expression, balls I've played with /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif

Jay M
09-19-2002, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> After 6 years, I'm planning on purchasing new sets of balls to go with our new Gabriel's tables arriving next month. My question for any of you who may have played with both and have an opinion - which ball is better, the Brunswick Centennial or the Aramith Super Pro, and why?

Just as importantly, how would you compare the 2 cue balls that go with each set - the Brunswick blue circle vs the Aramith Saluc logo cue ball, in exactly how they both play and how they may differ? Thanks for any feedback. - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

Personal preference has a lot to do with it. For me, Centennials with the blue dot. Why? Because that is what I'm used to shooting. Is there a difference in quality? I don't know the true answer to that. Rumor has it that the centennials are made to more exacting standards, but I can't confirm that.

I know that a lot of players prefer to substitute a red dot cue ball for the blue dot that comes with the set, but the red dot just makes it easier to draw for distance.

So the bottom line is: whatever you will be shooting with the most OUT of your house is what you should shoot with IN your house. (BTW, Ray Martin has just about every set of pool balls you can find because he always practices with the same equipment that he will be playing with. He even has the Bicentennial Centennials, the ones that had stars rather than circles around the numbers).

Jay M

MikeM
09-19-2002, 10:51 AM
Chris,

I agree with what Jay said. I have played with both but I have Centennials at home and they just seem to "feel" better. Can't explain it any better than that. FWIW that's what I would choose.

MM

09-19-2002, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> After 6 years, I'm planning on purchasing new sets of balls to go with our new Gabriel's tables arriving next month. My question for any of you who may have played with both and have an opinion - which ball is better, the Brunswick Centennial or the Aramith Super Pro, and why?

Just as importantly, how would you compare the 2 cue balls that go with each set - the Brunswick blue circle vs the Aramith Saluc logo cue ball, in exactly how they both play and how they may differ? Thanks for any feedback. - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

Hi Chris, I have both sets at home. I've only been playing with the centennials for the past couple of weeks. I'm not at the level where I can tell the difference but Grady was asked on this board awhile back what balls were better, he said the centennials were the best. An old time poster also pointed out that the centennials give you more points of aim. Terry

09-19-2002, 11:22 AM
I recently had the same question, so I e-mailed Aramith and asked. They said, "The "Super Aramith Pro" is so far the top of our product line in pool game. The "Brunswick Centennial" are made of the same Super Aramith Pro phenolic
resin and have therefore the same quality."

I'm assuming that the same resin and the same "quality" means exactly the same ball, tolerances and all. The only difference being the design.

As for the blue dot vs. the Aramith logo, I don't know, but having played with the two sets back-to-back they seem to respond the same unlike the red circle ball.

I did ask about the red triangle vs. the new Aramith logo cue ball and Aramith's response was that they changed from the triangle to the logo to protect from trademark infringement. (I deleted that e-mail so I don't have their exact words.)

Rich R.
09-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Chis, I think both sets play about the same. Certainly not different enough for me to tell.
I choose to use the Centennial balls at home because that is what I play with most of the time when I leave home.
I also like the look of the Centennials better.
Rich R.

Fred Agnir
09-19-2002, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I recently had the same question, so I e-mailed Aramith and asked. They said, "The "Super Aramith Pro" is so far the top of our product line in pool game. The "Brunswick Centennial" are made of the same Super Aramith Pro phenolic
resin and have therefore the same quality."

I'm assuming that the same resin and the same "quality" means exactly the same ball, tolerances and all. The only difference being the design.<hr></blockquote>
I got the same message. The tolerances might be different as far as the customer requirements are concerned. I assume Brunswick is still the customer and have their own tolerances for their balls. That doesn't mean that Saluc (the manufacturer) does anything different on their end as far as quality goes. Only that the customer might have different requirements.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>As for the blue dot vs. the Aramith logo, I don't know, but having played with the two sets back-to-back they seem to respond the same unlike the red circle ball.<hr></blockquote>
Saluc says that the Red Circle is lighter by design. The blue circle and the red triangle are made to be the same as the object balls (and each other).

Fred Agnir

09-21-2002, 03:35 AM
Chris,

As the other posts point out, they are both made by Aramith, but the Centennials cost about $40 more. Is it worth it? I think so, for that classic look. The Super Pros are TV balls, and now more than ever with the pink 4 and 12. Who would want those!? I realize the traditional colors are still available, but the Centennials are still classier.

Bob

09-21-2002, 03:40 AM
Thanks, Fred, for confirming my suspicions that the Red-Dot ball is lighted than the Blue-Dot. I knew there was a reason I was drawing whitey farther and having more difficulty following him. Frankly, my stroke is good enough that a same-weight ball like the Blue-Dot is just fine. Unfortunately, most of the pool halls in my area use the Red-Dot, so I guess I better practice with it or suffer the consequences.

Bob

09-21-2002, 03:54 AM
Oops, that's red-circle and blue-circle, not red-dot and blue-dot, and lighter, not lighted. It's 4 A.M. here so you'll have to excuse me. I'm logging off because I'm nodding off.

Bob

09-21-2002, 03:57 AM
Hell, I even forgot to log back in. Say goodnight, Gracie.

Bob