PDA

View Full Version : Who received cushy ambassador to positions X?

LWW
08-26-2011, 10:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">President Obama announced another 10 names for ambassadorships last week, and in doing so, he awarded another set of big donors and bundlers with plum positions representing U.S. interests abroad. The new nominees for ambassadors to Belize, Belgium, Liechtenstein, Romania and Switzerland along with their spouses and dependent children have contributed at least $637,800 to federal candidates, parties and committees since 1989, CRP has found. Nearly that entire sum has gone to Democrats, including $32,775 to Obama himself and $8,300 to former primary opponent and now-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. These individuals also brought in at least $1.1 million for Obama's presidential bid as bundlers, and at least another half-a-million as bundlers for his inauguration. </div></div>

HOW'S THAT HOPENCHANGE WORKING OUT? (http://www.opensecrets.org/obama/ambassadors.php)

Soflasnapper
08-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Obama raised and spent $600 millions on his campaign alone.

Even the largest figure you mention is .1667% of that amount. I doubt that gets a lot of juice with Obama.

Then the total over TWENTY-TWO FREAKING YEARS is added up for some reason (that reason is to make the amount seem very large).

Yawn. Obviously not much of a real case if you (well, the source) has to pad it up so much.

Yes, ambassadorships always go to politically active fund-raisers, especially second tier ambassadorships to smaller countries. Whata shock. Puhleeze.

LWW
08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
So out of over 300,000,000 US citizens ... only that tiny fraction who bundled the maximum legal amount are qualified?

Or, as it appears, you are also just fine with hight paying gubmint jobs bein up for sale?

Soflasnapper
08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
They always are. A shame, really. In a perfect world, or with a perfect president, this might not happen this way. We have neither.

I guess it's not illegal so long as there is no proven quid pro quo. At least I don't recall it either being prosecuted in the past, or even any kind of campaign issue.

LWW
08-26-2011, 06:22 PM
So you voted for "HOPENCHANGE" and ended up defending "SAME" ... interesting?