PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Terminology Blunder

Fran Crimi
08-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Dragon keeps going on about how they are preserving the history of the World 14.1 Championship, yet they continue to refer to the matches as "race to...."

If they truly want to preserve the history and tradition of the game, then they should use the traditional terminology as well. "150 point game" is the way to describe a 14.1 match --- not race to 150.

JJFSTAR
08-29-2011, 01:00 PM
I agree I have never said "hey you want to race to 125?" no you play to 125 (or whatever) not "race".

Deeman3
08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Here, here....I am always for keeping the tradition going in pool. There is precious little of it now days. It is a game to 150!

Racing is for nine ball!

DickLeonard
08-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Deeman how about Louie Butera running 150 and out in 23 minutes. That would fit into an 1/2 hour TV show. Mike Sigel running 150 and out on Mike Zuglan twice. In the third match Zuglan ran 138 and still lost to Mike.

I sent George Fels a write up on my beating Babe Cranfield 800 to 797. I needed 363 in the final block while Babe needed 197. In 4 consective innings I ran three seventies and a 95. Those were the good old days. Poolrooms were Churches, now their Ardcades.

I remember playing Charlie the Bear in his room in the Bronx 24 tables going and you would have thought you were playing in St. Patricks Catherdal. Dick

Rich R.
08-30-2011, 04:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dragon keeps going on about how they are preserving the history of the World 14.1 Championship, yet they continue to refer to the matches as "race to...."

If they truly want to preserve the history and tradition of the game, then they should use the traditional terminology as well. "150 point game" is the way to describe a 14.1 match --- not race to 150.
</div></div>
Dragon doesn't have a clue about history and its preservation.
Although I'm happy that they are having 14.1 tournaments, they are far from world championships from the past and, as you point out, they can't even get the terminology correct. It's really sad.

Deeman3
08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Deeman how about Louie Butera running 150 and out in 23 minutes. That would fit into an 1/2 hour TV show. Mike Sigel running 150 and out on Mike Zuglan twice. In the third match Zuglan ran 138 and still lost to Mike.

I sent George Fels a write up on my beating Babe Cranfield 800 to 797. I needed 363 in the final block while Babe needed 197. In 4 consective innings I ran three seventies and a 95. Those were the good old days. Poolrooms were Churches, now their Ardcades.

I remember playing Charlie the Bear in his room in the Bronx 24 tables going and you would have thought you were playing in St. Patricks Catherdal. Dick </div></div>

Dick, Those wrier the heydays of pool. Front page, people attending in suits and sold out events. Sadly, we won't see that again. I'm proud you are still around to remind us.

Most of go a lifetime with runs not as high as you would have in match! If you can stand the noise of the machines around you now, you are lucky to see a room with 24 tables.

We will miss you when you are gone. I still think you should write that book.

DickLeonard
08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Deeman I just saw a little of Julia Childs and what it took in the old days to write a book. You have to give the Monks a lot of credit to write the Bible.

Thanks to Guttenburg for the prinmting press. I could have correcting the primnting error. We have it so easy today the computer has eliminated almost every task in writing a book but the Ambition I have to suppluy that. Dick

xerryhorteen99
09-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Tin box manufacturer (http://www.keng-hui.com) - CAKE TINS (http://www.keng-hui.com) - TIN CONTAINERS (http://www.keng-hui.com)