PDA

View Full Version : Anal Owners of Pool Tables Concerning Wear

Sid_Vicious
08-30-2011, 08:51 PM
You know I just have to finally speak my mind about something,,,over protectors of personal pool tables. I'll talk about one un-named friend of mine who has a 9-foot Crown, and he is kinda screwy about utilizing skills like breaking from the same spot over and over, and the occasional jump shots, all due to the pure anal-ness for keep their piece of furnature in spotless condition, even at the cost of eventually becoming by themselves, to play with themselves, 'cepting for playing for the wifeys office, ball banger friends. Sad fact IMO is that the lifespan of "a friend or two" like this kind is questionable, so what the hell is the reason for not letting your hair down a little and ACTUALLY USING YOUR HOME TABLE in all aspects, with friends who are real billiard players...not scoopers in jumps...not those who are just bozos from the gitgo?

Hell, to be honest, if anything, I personaly look more for a well used table at any pool hall when I find a new joint.

I just don't get it why people owning home tables seem to worry so much. That thing will out live you, and the spouse will almost GIVE it away after your big dirt nap anyway. Lighten up! practice and allow jumps without an added tampon underneath, and consume a little your pool table before you are gone. Why own one otherwise, use it. That is what it is for. Don't be so friggin' anal over an inanimate object. sid

Coroner
08-31-2011, 07:05 AM
I'm with you Sid. I have a table at home and pretty much let players play on it. Break from wherever you want and jump shots are fine as long as you know how. When I practice by myself I use an extra piece of scrap cloth to try and extend the life of the cloth (Simonis is about $250 to replace), but I let good players play. Almost everyone, the first time over, will ask if it's okay to jump, which is a nice courtesy and most seem to have a story of someone else saying no. Yeah, the cloth gets more burn marks and will probably need to be replaced a little sooner, but at least I'm playing good pool at home with good players. Now, the rules for my kids are a lot different.....

LWW
08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
I agree that some folks are paranoid about their stuff ... but, it's their stuff and we all have our quirks.

Mine is that nobody, and I mean <span style='font-size: 14pt'>NOBODY</span>, touches my camera stuff without the express verbal consent of El Dub Dub.

DickLeonard
08-31-2011, 11:42 AM
LWW yor not one of those Weiner fellows EL DUD.####

cushioncrawler
08-31-2011, 07:00 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/Billiards%20stuff/PICT1027.jpg

cushioncrawler
08-31-2011, 07:15 PM
I find that a temporary or permanent mark iz an invaluable aid for praktis.
mac.

cushioncrawler
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/Billiards%20stuff/PICT1011.jpg

cushioncrawler
08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I only ever uze kieckhefer chalk.
And i hav no complaints about Banford's Super Sharpie permanent markers -- they are non-toxic -- your family and friends are important.
mac.

cushioncrawler
08-31-2011, 07:37 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/Billiards%20stuff/June19013.jpg

cushioncrawler
08-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Friends and vizitors etc must not uze permanent marker. But chalk iz ok.
mac.

Rich R.
08-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Mac, I'm definitely not a fanatic about my table and I have no restrictions concerning playing on it. However, all of those marks on your table are disgusting. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Fran Crimi
08-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Haha, Rich, don't you recognize a genius at work?

Hey Mac, that's some beautiful wood on those rails. Is that satin wood or curly maple or just stain or what?

cushioncrawler
09-01-2011, 12:59 AM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/Billiards%20stuff/PICT0308.jpg

cushioncrawler
09-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Fran -- its a Duke (of Edinburgh) made by Alcock & Co in about 1869. External wood iz mostly fiddleback Blackwood. Blackwood iz a native acacia, ie wattle. We hav 100's on our block, inklooding one big old one that might be the biggest in Victoria.
I hav seen praps 20 Dukes in Ozz, and i reckon mine iz the nicest, or at least haz the best fiddleback. It must hav been specially made for someone important or a friend of Alcock i reckon.
mac.

Tony_in_MD
09-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Good lord, do you have physics equations on your table too?

cushioncrawler
09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I jokingly tell vizitors that i write my shopping lists on the bed. I hav several outlines of my bridge hand and ball to show varyus bridges that i sometimes uze -- plus the corresponding outlines of my feet on the floor (that woz a smacking offence), koz i hav varyus stances.

One vizitor laughed and laughed when after mentioning that it needed brushing, i pulled out a giant industrial type broom from under and hopped up on the table and swept it in a few seconds and hopped off again. During the next few days he would allofasudden just burst out laughing thinking about it. The lights are very hi and u kan walk on the table.

But the bedkloth iz starting to look sickly -- kood be tinea.
mac.

Sid_Vicious
09-02-2011, 04:47 AM
I went out to inspect my table after writing the post, and for as many practice jump hours with no pads as I have made on it, I had to already KNOW where the white spots might be worse for conceren, to even get the marks to stand out at all. My original point was that 'real players', who buy tables for home, aren't too smart to limit how they enjoy and use them with theses petty rules. I do agree...it is their table, and I respect that. I know that I probably won't be missed much there, so I will dodge playing there when I have a more sane environment to play pool. There is this one particular friend who seems puzzled as to why I'm not frequenting his home room. Oh well, he has to know me by now. Playing pool, is playtime ;-) sid

Bambu
09-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Nice room, Mac!

I know its a pain, but I ask those who break from the same spot to use a piece of paper under the ball. It doesnt take long for a hard breaker to wear a pit in the cloth. Burn marks dont bother me, and I can even learn to live with powder. But pitting, sorry but no.

cushioncrawler
09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Pits are bad. I praktis my masse's at the baulk end, koz any pits or bruises near the top cush spoils my runs of nurserys.
On a 12' table when the The Spot gets pitted (koz the red goze on The Spot when potted -- in snooker the black goze on The Spot) u havta stretch the bedcloth to moov the pit a couple of inches (towards the top cush), and there it spoils your floating white play (english billiards here).
mac.

SpiderMan
09-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Wow, what a beautiful piece of furniture! But the "permanent marker" doesn't show up at all in this photo - was it taken before you started drawing on your cloth?

BTW, with this picture you have successfully hijacked Sid's thread!

Fran Crimi
09-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Wow! That is really beautiful. I'm also impressed with the size of the room. Being in New York City --- heck, we can fit 12 beds comfortably in that room. That's some prime real estate you've got there. Nice floor too. Well done!

LWW
09-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Mac ... is that an old shortwave radio in the background?

cushioncrawler
09-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I hav 4 old radios in the billiards room. The tv iz sitting on a big Kriesler multi sonic that belonged to madSherie's mumndad. I play records on this, and it haz SW.
And i got 2 old radios at the local auction for about 100bucks each, a brown bakelite Kriesler with SW (see), and a brown bakelite Healing golden voice (karnt see). And one of my teammates gave me that funny looking radio (see), no name, that looks like a comic clay prop out of a wallace & grommit video.
mac.

One of my other teammates haz lots of old radios, some worth squillions.
I see lots of funny old big wooden radios at auction every month and i would like to buy all of them but i hav no space left.

cushioncrawler
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, what a beautiful piece of furniture! But the "permanent marker" doesn't show up at all in this photo - was it taken before you started drawing on your cloth? BTW, with this picture you have successfully hijacked Sid's thread!</div></div>This iz now my second bedkloth. On my first new kloth i drew lots of markings, but different to what i hav on this 2nd kloth.

When my mate put this new kloth on he took away the old and had it drycleaned and it now sits on hiz 12' table in melbourne, and looks good az new. Hiz (oak) table iz better than mine, its not a duke, its better than a duke, az far az we know there iz only one other table like hiz.

But markings dont last long, a year praps. In high use zones i havta remark any important marks each say 6 months.

But sids thread here iz exaktly what i too feel about my table. I uze my table for learning, any play iz secondary. U only liv once.
I koodnt imagin not having any markings. And the grids help me with my drawings in my diarys, and save having to uze my giant rules so much.
And dont forget i am writing say 5 books on billiards.
mac.

cushioncrawler
09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! That is really beautiful. I'm also impressed with the size of the room. Being in New York City --- heck, we can fit 12 beds comfortably in that room. That's some prime real estate you've got there. Nice floor too. Well done!</div></div>Thanx fran, we luv our house, and it woz madSherie's idea to hav the billiards room in the center of the house, what a gal.
Koz a duke iz so lovely, we decided to hav a bland wood for the floor -- messmate gum. Other rooms hav nicer wood, ie blackwood, celery-top pine, jarrah, and manna gum.
One more photo. Half of the house iz log. The brass moose woz a gift from sarah palin.
mac.

cushioncrawler
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/PICT0328.jpg

Fran Crimi
09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Wow. You should submit photos to BD when they have their annual best home billiard room awards. Everything is so beautifully done.

cushioncrawler
09-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Now i karnt rezist showing another pix. The bar iz madSherie's mumsndads and goze back to 1949. The lil radio iz that Healing golden voice.
Iz there an award for bedkloth art????? Kan u imagin what one kood do with an air-brush.
mac.

cushioncrawler
09-02-2011, 06:38 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/PICT0314.jpg

LWW
09-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Mac ... our tastes are remarkably similar in so many ways.

We also have a load of vintage radios ... cameras also.

You are among the most fascinating and interesting madmen I have ever encountered.

If'n I ever make it to Oz we'll have to play a few ... and kill a few pints.

cushioncrawler
09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
For sure for sure. U (u's) will be staying in bedroom 2 -- thats the door behind the bar. All doors in the house hav plain glass -- one day will upgrade to leadlight glass -- one of my teammates iz a professional leadlightglasser -- karnt play for nuts, but i pick him in the team till all of our leadlighting iz dunn.

But once u hav tryd english billiards u wont go back.
Thursday one of our opponents woz steve, a computer manager with ibm i think, allways played 8ball, and then tryd snooker, and then english billiards, and now he luvs billiards, wants coaching.
mac.

LWW
09-03-2011, 08:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For sure for sure. U (u's)
mac. </div></div>
U's, or commonly "YOUSE", in American is a northeast phrase.

In southeast America it's you'uns.

cushioncrawler
09-03-2011, 08:16 AM
In newzealand its ewes.
mac.

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I can't keep myself from coming back to look at these pics! Fantastic! I would be ultra paranoid about taking liberties of jumps and breaks over and over from one spot on this fine specimen of billiards, but this IS a snooker table, unless my eyes decieve me. I doubt you see many of those issues anyway like a 4/8 or 9-footer with lots of 9-ball.

I'd be looking for a rope if someone jumped up on top of my table! sid

Fran Crimi
09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
What a beautiful bar. I love that era. Everything fits so nicely in the room.

cushioncrawler
09-03-2011, 05:36 PM
We still hav the original barstools, nice but small, definitely contravene the UN torture code, so they are hanging in the shed. That silly barstool woz madSherie's from her drawing-table -- so i'm on the lookout for an antique oak barley-twist barstool with piecrust edging (there taint no such thing) -- might havta make one from old bits'n'pieces.
The bar (and stools) woz made in Loxton in 1949 by the local undertaker who must hav made hiz own coffins.
mac.

cushioncrawler
09-03-2011, 05:51 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/PICT0335.jpg

cushioncrawler
09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I took this pix minutes ago, it woz raining, luv the rain, luv the view.
mac.

cushioncrawler
09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/PICT1167.jpg

Fran Crimi
09-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Beautiful. Give us more pics, Mac. What does the front of your house look like from the outside? (What's your address? How do we get there? Hahaha!)

I know this is stating the obvious but somebody likes wood!

cushioncrawler
09-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Fran i put 6 oldish pix of our house on my photobucket folders. I rearranged most of my photobucket pix and hencely the earlyr pix i put on this thread dont show, but the link will take u to them anyhow.
Tell me if there iz a problem.
mac.
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/house/PICT0658-1.jpg

cushioncrawler
09-04-2011, 08:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't keep myself from coming back to look at these pics! Fantastic! I would be ultra paranoid about taking liberties of jumps and breaks over and over from one spot on this fine specimen of billiards, but this IS a snooker table, unless my eyes decieve me. I doubt you see many of those issues anyway like a 4/8 or 9-footer with lots of 9-ball. I'd be looking for a rope if someone jumped up on top of my table! sid</div></div>Interestingly snooker had not been invented when this table woz made (1869). I think snooker didnt arrive from africa till about 1900, in fakt i think snooker woz played in Ozz before england.

My big scoreboard woz uzed for life pool and pyramids and billiards. I think that snooker woz a combination of pyramids (played with just 15 reds and 1 white qball) and life pool (played with up to 10 colored balls, some with spots, each player uzing one particular ball for hiz qball and having to pot the previous striker's qball).

But anyhow a new bedkloth only costs say $1200 fitted. One shood get at least say 10 years life from a cloth at home, and say 2 years at the club, or 1 year if hosting major tournaments.
mac.

cushioncrawler
09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I am very happy with the table lights -- 8 leadlights. They cost me allmost $500 each just to buy. I got them from madGeorge a local chandilierer. Lucky to findem -- u karnt even find anything like them on ebay -- but he had 10. I put a 23W fluoro external grade spotlight in each -- equivalent to 125W spots i think -- they take 7 minutes to reech 100%.

madGeorge iz polish but woz born in mongolia. And i got the 4 old brass light wall-brackets at hiz shop too -- they go back to before electricity i reckon.
mac.

Fran Crimi
09-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the link. It shows one photo of your house. It looks new. Really nice! I thought was a log cabin judging by the logs on the inside.

cushioncrawler
09-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Fran -- when looking at that pix, can u klick on something and get to see all of the pix -- or praps u havta register az a member (pretty painless), and look under cushioncrawler.
But praps the following links will show the whole "house" and "billiards" folders.
mac.

http://s1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/house/

http://s1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/Billiards%20stuff/

cushioncrawler
09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the link. It shows one photo of your house. It looks new. Really nice! I thought was a log cabin judging by the logs on the inside.</div></div>Nah we koodnt afford a big log house, but we ended up making it half log inside, a very late decision, which we havnt regretted. Logs were made and installed by Great Bear Log Homes, mansfield.
And we probly koodnt get approval for external log koz of the bushfire code for this area -- koz we back onto miles of bush, which iz why we came here, for the bush horse-riding.

Corrugated iron houses are pretty common in Ozz nowadays.
mac.

LWW
09-05-2011, 08:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In newzealand its ewes.
mac. </div></div>

I've heard West Virjinny is that way as well.

LWW
09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Mac,

That appears to be a Ford along with either a Cayenne or a Honda Crosstour under younses car port?

Fran Crimi
09-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Ok, got it now Mac. Those last links work fine. Is that sand? Are you near the ocean? I thought I saw a peek at the sea from one of your house views.

cushioncrawler
09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Thats a ford falcon wagon (Ford are near here) and a small honda 4wd (petrol iz $1.30/L = US$1.40).
That white sand round the house and on the drive iz leftover from kaolin produktion near here. The beach iz 1hr away. The water iz the dam in my brother's place next door.
Great Bear say that our logs are the biggest ever -- 19" and 13.5m long.
Our ceiling oregons are from Canada -- praps shood hav uzed plantation oregon from newzealand but this iznt az good i hear.
mac.
A pix of the last logs going in, this last bit woz in 1 piece. If ever there woz something strange going on u kood bet that the eagles were high up looking down (not shown).

cushioncrawler
09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/house/April23143.jpg

vapo083
09-06-2011, 06:28 AM
COOL.....

jsmithave
09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/cushioncrawler/Billiards%20stuff/PICT1011.jpg </div></div>

This reminds me of a fella I new from Davenport, he had a Seven foot Valley table with black felt. The felt was covered with graphs and numbers written with white gel pen ink. He was a bit mad but played a great game of one pocket.

JSM