PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens vs The Moron

llotter
09-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, they both lied to Congress but The Moron wasn't 'under oath' so there is no reason for him to be prosecuted but there does seem to be more than just a little hypocrisy involved. In defense of The Moron, it can be said that he always lies so to just say that one particular lie passed the prosecution threshold does seem like a challenge no one is interested in facing.

Soflasnapper
09-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't think Clemens ought to be prosecuted over his testimony, even if willfully false. It's ridiculous to waste prosecutorial time and talent and resources on such a case, of no particular critical national interest.

Particularly when others who were testifying on critical matters of government and policy blatantly lied, and receive no prosecution (thinking of the tobacco execs, for one example).

As for the other part, presidents cannot actually be criminally charged while in office, IMO. That must await their departure from office, either under normal conditions, or as the result of conviction in the Senate under impeachment charges brought by the House. The way things are structure, I see no way around this, which I take to be a fact.

DickLeonard
09-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Soflasnapper his lawyer should have been disbarred for not using the Ron Reagan defense. I don't remember,I don't remember. His defense for the Iran-Contra Affair. Of course we knew he didn't, his dementia had set in and Nancy was running the show.

If you want to see GWB tried for war crimes give him a round trip ticket to Switzerland.####

Soflasnapper
09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Now, Dick! We do NOT KNOW what his attorney advised Clemons to say. Lawyers have notoriously been unable to get clients to stick to certain phrases and only those phrases.

Agree about Reagan, although before Iran/Contra, Don Regan was running the show as the prime minister, and afterwards, it was Howard Baker.

Gayle in MD
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, they both lied to Congress but The Moron wasn't 'under oath' so there is no reason for him to be prosecuted but there does seem to be more than just a little hypocrisy involved. In defense of The Moron, it can be said that he always lies so to just say that one particular lie passed the prosecution threshold does seem like a challenge no one is interested in facing. </div></div>

Wow, then stop lying!