PDA

View Full Version : Fla Sherriff Saves$1 Million by De-Privtizing Jail

Gayle in MD
09-03-2011, 07:20 PM
September 03, 2011 01:30 PM
Sheriff Saves $1 Million By De-Privatizing County Jail

By Susie Madrak

Privatization has nothing to do with saving money and everything to do with giving kickbacks to politically connected contractors like Corrections Corporation of America:

Sheriff Michael Page of Hernando County, Florida, is the latest in a line of Sheriffs to inherit the headache that is the county jail. After being operated by CCA for 22 years, the facility had fallen into exceptional disrepair, after CCA had neglected to perform millions of dollars worth of required maintenance. The county took over the facility a little more than a year ago and started the long process of upgrading the security, staff, and conditions of the jail.

Initial projections by then-Sheriff Richard Nugent hypothesized that the county could save up to $200,000 compared to what CCA would have charged. It turns out that de-privatizing the jail has actually saved Hernando County taxpayers more than $1,000,000 this year. Maybe Ric Scott and JD Alexander ought to reconsider their bullheaded push to privatize half the state’s prison system.

http://crooksandliars.com/

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Rick Scott is a crook!

Gayle in MD
09-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Interesting how there is silence when Repiglicans BS is proven wrong. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

moblsv
09-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Through a close relation with some drug and alcohol problems, I've had the misfortune of having to deal with privatized jails here in Utah. The worst of this is how these private companies extort fees at every turn from the segment of society least able to afford the fees. The private company which runs the Davis County jail charges a 15% fee to put money on a card for the commissary. They charge a 15% fee to get the money back out of the card after release. They charge a 15% fee to use their machine to post bail. They charge a $10 fee for every phone call. I had to put some money on a card so this person could have basic items for a few days stay. There was a lady at the window who should have easily been able to take my cash to apply to the inmates debt card, but she couldn't help me. I *had* to use the machine and pay the fee. After the inmate used the card to get an item from the private store at a ridiculously extortionist price and was released, I had to pay the fee to get the money back off the card. Exploiting a literally captive clientele like that should be illegal, and is unquestionably immoral.

Gayle in MD
09-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Excellent post. Corruption has many faces, and is always accompanied by GREED.

We could say the same thing about our captive troops, who were stolen blind, by Bush annd Cheney's corporate cornies in Iraq, and Afghanistan, bilked for their needs, in things that our military used to take care of themselves, when they Privatized those needs to incompetent and corrupt, Private Industry.

We could also say the same thing about the Predatory Lenders, who kept on pushing people into those sub prime and no doc, loans, because they were making a fortune off of the Fees, and then chopping them up and selling them, without a care about what they were doing to the economy.

I am hoping that the public will begin to see through the Republican lies, and failed policies, soon enough to realize that Privatizing anything, in a country where Moral Standing has been corrupted into nothing but overlooked fraud and approved greed, by the deregulatory, corporate loving, right, will become a thing of the past.

G.

sack316
09-04-2011, 12:46 PM
This is one of those "iffy" things. In this case, you may be surprised to find I actually agree with you to an extent.

For example, this particular jail, I hope CCA is also forced to foot the bill to bring it up to code and make the required repairs that it was supposed to do. IMHO, that would only be right.

As you said, greed and corruption ruin things. Privatization of jails/prisons works in theory and on paper... until the greed mucks it up.

But then on the other hand, we have a rising inmate population for which the gov't dollars cannot keep up with providing "housing" for. So in many cases, such scenarios of privatizing are necessary.

Kind of a catch-22 situation if you ask me.

Sack

DickLeonard
09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Gayle my sister tught at a mental facility locally. One of her clients an autistic was arrest for breaking into Knolls Atomic Labs computer system. He was sent to the county jail where he promptly showed the inmates how to beat the telephone system by whistling into the phone.

When the county found no money in the coin box and David responsible they did the only thing they could and released him. Dick

Gayle in MD
09-04-2011, 10:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As you said, greed and corruption ruin things. Privatization of jails/prisons works in theory and on paper... until the greed mucks it up.

But then on the other hand, we have a rising inmate population for which the gov't dollars cannot keep up with providing "housing" for. So in many cases, such scenarios of privatizing are necessary.

</div></div>

Sorry Sack, but isn't this statement a bit contradictory?

Privatizing doesn't wipe out the costs of housing prisoners.

Government is still paying the costs, only with less power and influence in regulatory oversight.

G.

Gayle in MD
09-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow dick! What a story!!!

How are you my friend?

Love,
Gayle

sack316
09-05-2011, 04:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As you said, greed and corruption ruin things. Privatization of jails/prisons works in theory and on paper... until the greed mucks it up.

</div></div>

Government is still paying the costs, only with less power and influence in regulatory oversight.

G. </div></div>

The contradiction is exactly the catch-22 I'm speaking of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Sometimes new facilities need to be built, and the funds aren't there. A Private company can do it. Or a current facility is "going under" so to speak, and a private investment takes over. Sometimes, housing-wise, space-wise, and logistically it is seemingly necessary to privatize.

But then the state, county, or whoever will be paying the per diem or set rate for whoever is housed there. Which is fine... until the greed creeps on in and then we have our problem with the system.

Sack

cushioncrawler
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Simple, if the inmates fail to keep up the mortgage payments, then throw them out into the street. They shood hav thunk things out better before they did the crime.

Idea. Iffen u hav lady prizoners, and lots of men prizoners, then why not allow the men to hav sex with the ladys, for money. Prostitution wouldnt just pay for the system, it would make a profit i reckon.
mac.

eg8r
09-05-2011, 07:57 PM
It is stories like this where we see you ignoring what might actually be happening and just accepting what you think you are seeing. Any chance you will dig deeper to see what actually happened?

eg8r

Qtec
09-06-2011, 12:50 AM
He saved money so why aren't you happy?

Q

Gayle in MD
09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As you said, greed and corruption ruin things. Privatization of jails/prisons works in theory and on paper... until the greed mucks it up.

</div></div>

G. </div></div>

The contradiction is exactly the catch-22 I'm speaking of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Sometimes new facilities need to be built, and the funds aren't there. A Private company can do it. Or a current facility is "going under" so to speak, and a private investment takes over. Sometimes, housing-wise, space-wise, and logistically it is seemingly necessary to privatize.

But then the state, county, or whoever will be paying the per diem or set rate for whoever is housed there. Which is fine... until the greed creeps on in and then we have our problem with the system.

Sack </div></div>

Ok, gotcha, and yep, corruption and greed, that's why we need oversight, and in the prison system, it's even more important.

Remember whenn we learned about that little issue where the corrupt judges, were actually invested in the privatized facility, and involed with sending virtually innocent young kids to reform school, just to fill their own pockets with money!!!

I am completely against privatizing any of our needs or services for prisons or jails.

They require strict government oversight, IMO, and I have yet to see money saved, or services improved, by privatizing, in fact, IMHO, it only increases corruption.

That's surely the same thing that happened in Iraq, as well.

G.

Gayle in MD
09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He saved money so why aren't you happy?

Q </div></div>

LOL, probably because he'd rather his state lose a million dollars, than save a million dollars, if saving it comes about through anti Repiglican Policies.

G.

eg8r
09-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I guess you answered my question with a resounding No.

eg8r

Qtec
09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess you answered my question with a resounding No.

eg8r </div></div>

Listen O brainless one. When <span style='font-size: 17pt'>you</span> say something, it doesn't make it true.

Explain yourself, if you can.

Q...I couldn't care less.

eg8r
09-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Sorry schmuck but if you cannot comprehend english I am not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

eg8r

Qtec
09-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Fine. I will just take your ignorant word for it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Q

eg8r
09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
You are the one unwilling to actually investigate what they did, you are the ignornant one.

eg8r

Qtec
09-08-2011, 08:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You are the one unwilling to actually investigate what they did,</div></div>

O..M..G...you have turned into M Bachmann. LOL

LOONEY (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Ed9Oe8Gvs)

hypocrite (http://www.americablog.com/2011/07/bachmann-quits-church-that-calls-pope.html)

Q

eg8r
09-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Why post links if you are unwilling to do the necessary work?

eg8r

sack316
09-08-2011, 11:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are the one unwilling to actually investigate what they did, you are the ignornant one.

eg8r </div></div>

Oops, good call Ed. After some research... (from Tampa Bay local government website)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Page runs the jail with 138 employees — more than 20 percent less than CCA — and said he can do it for two reasons: One, his staff is more efficient; two, the jail now employs far better technology. </div></div>

At least 28 people lost their jobs. So a guesstimate salary of say $30,000/year on average equals $840,000. Think we found the million saved right about there.

Not saying it's necessarily bad... I mean it is saving taxpayer dollars. But yet... at least 28 people lost their jobs to do so. hmmmm....

Sack

Gayle in MD
09-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Hmmm, so improved, cost saving efficiency, through better technology, and fewer employees, is a good thing in Private industry, but a bad thing in the public sector?

Hmmm, and I'm sure neither of you could think that a profit based, private corporation, could produce anything but a better, more efficient, more honorable, more cost saving performance.

Got it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

sack316
09-09-2011, 07:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, so improved, cost saving efficiency, through better technology, and fewer employees, is a good thing in Private industry, but a bad thing in the public sector?
</div></div>

Not saying it's necessarily bad... </div></div>

Nope, that's apparently not what I think.

So improved, cost saving efficiency, through better technology, and fewer employees, is a good thing in public industry, but a bad thing in the private sector?

I personally think it's good when any entity can increase efficiency and reduce costs, be it private or public. I still feel bad for anyone who loses their job, too.

Sack

Gayle in MD
09-09-2011, 07:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, so improved, cost saving efficiency, through better technology, and fewer employees, is a good thing in Private industry, but a bad thing in the public sector?
</div></div>

Not saying it's necessarily bad... </div></div>

Nope, that's apparently not what I think.

So improved, cost saving efficiency, through better technology, and fewer employees, is a good thing in public industry, but a bad thing in the private sector?

I personally think it's good when any entity can increase efficiency and reduce costs, be it private or public. I still feel bad for anyone who loses their job, too.

Sack </div></div>

That sentiment didn't seem to be the thrust of your post, to me, anyway.

IMHO, given the already uncovered collusion and corruption, between certain judges, certain Republican Governors and their decisions and policies, certain abuses through corrupt, greedy Judges decisions, facts have already indicated corruption as a likely result, when private, profit based corporations, infiltrate our penal institutions and facilities.

Must just be my imagination... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

G.

eg8r
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I saw that but figured qtip did not want to do any research. He is bragging about firing more people and never even knew it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
LOL, lookey lookey gayle is backing the increase in unemployment. Great job.

eg8r

eg8r
09-09-2011, 01:13 PM
They absolutely don't get it. We are not the ones that flip out over cost savings and increased efficiency, I mean seriously that is why we are getting rid of unions. Hello McFly, anyone home? Gayle and qtip will never admit to the stupidity of bragging about this knowing that it aided in the increase of unemployment which is exactly why I asked qtip ever bothered to find out how exactly $1 million was saved.

Why isn't qtip and gaylio out there bragging about the savings offered if it is teachers being laid off? Why just jailors?

eg8r

eg8r
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sentiment didn't seem to be the thrust of your post, to me, anyway.
</div></div>That is because you ran your mouth instead of shutting it up and actually reading what was typed and not adding in your own commentary.

eg8r

sack316
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That sentiment didn't seem to be the thrust of your post, to me, anyway.</div></div>

Nothing to read into my posts, they say exactly what they say. In this case, it is that I respect the fact that costs were cut on one hand, but I also hate that people lost their jobs to do so on the other. I'll say the same thing in this instance, and my opinion will be the same in a situation where a private enterprise does the same thing.

However, based on the history of your posts, I find it hard to believe that your opinion would be the same if CCA remained in control (ie still a privatized jail) and saved a million bucks via layoffs.

As to the corruption comments... hey I'm in full agreement with you on that, just as I was about how greed screws things up. But I also can't look through rose colored lenses and pretend to believe that taking it out of private hands and placing anything wholly in government hands eliminates corruption and greed, either.

At any rate, in this instance I hope CCA will be sued and held accountable for the required maintenance that they did not do.

Sack

sack316
09-09-2011, 03:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They absolutely don't get it. We are not the ones that flip out over cost savings and increased efficiency, I mean seriously that is why we are getting rid of unions. Hello McFly, anyone home? Gayle and qtip will never admit to the stupidity of bragging about this knowing that it aided in the increase of unemployment which is exactly why I asked qtip ever bothered to find out how exactly $1 million was saved.

Why isn't qtip and gaylio out there bragging about the savings offered if it is teachers being laid off? Why just jailors?

eg8r </div></div>

If CCA had remained in control and saved a million via those same means, the thread would likely read very differently.

Sack

eg8r
09-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Yep and you can bet your butt qtip won't admit that either.

eg8r

Qtec
09-09-2011, 07:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They absolutely don't get it. We are not the ones that flip out over cost savings and increased efficiency, I mean seriously that is why we are getting rid of unions. Hello McFly, anyone home? Gayle and qtip will never admit to the stupidity of bragging about this knowing that it aided in the increase of unemployment <span style='font-size: 17pt'>which is exactly why I asked qtip ever bothered to find out how exactly $1 million was saved.</span>

eg8r </div></div>

Here we go. This is from a link contained in G's original link.

If you had read it, you would know this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BROOKSVILLE — Maj. Michael Page shook his head.

When the 39-year corrections veteran led the Sheriff's Office in its takeover of the Hernando County Detention Center last August, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>most of the 177 employees from the private company that had run the facility applied for new jobs.

Page interviewed every one of those applicants. He hired just 45 of them.</span><span style="color: #3333FF"> How's that for starters?</span>

As he thought back on Thursday to the transition, the major said most of those he rejected either failed background checks or just didn't meet his standards.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"Frankly," Page said, "I don't understand why a few of them weren't in jail."</span>

Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of the takeover. <span style='font-size: 26pt'>Since then, Page has made sweeping changes. He's upgraded the jail's technology, overhauled its security and cut significant costs — <span style="color: #990000">all with 39 fewer staff members</span> than Corrections Corporation of America, which had managed the facility for 22 years.</span>

Still, the jail faces considerable challenges that officials say CCA left behind. The same major maintenance problems that last year erupted into controversy are still not fixed, and it's unclear whether the money set aside by the County Commission will be enough to build a planned new standalone medical facility and cover the numerous repairs ahead.

Most of the physical problems could have been avoided, Page said, if CCA had just honored its agreement with the county.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"If they had performed routine maintenance as they should have and as their contract required," he said, "this building would look 10 times better."</span> <span style="color: #3333FF">How can this be? We all know the private sector does better work at lower cost!</span>

Because of the unresolved maintenance questions, the county withheld a $1.8 million final payment to CCA and has been sued in federal court by the company. That case is not yet resolved.

While concerns about the facility's future still linger, <span style='font-size: 20pt'>one thing has changed dramatically — the way the jail operates.</span> </div></div>

Do the rest yourself.

Q.... Gayle's link (http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/sheriff-saves-1-million-de-privatizin)

eg8r
09-09-2011, 08:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: person with a clue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">most of the 177 employees from the private company that had run the facility applied for new jobs.

Page interviewed every one of those applicants. He hired just 45 of them.
</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: person without a clue</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How's that for starters?</div></div>Honestly, for starters that means he laid off a bunch of people. Sounds like adding to unemployment. You are such a schmuck. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif You blame the Reps for unemployment yet you praise unemployment as a cost cutting measure. In other threads I have mentioned weeding out the dead weight and you get pissed because that means laying people off yet here you praise them for laying people off. You are a serious hypocritical schmuck. For the record, I understand the layoffs and have not argued against them, I am just pointing out your hypocrisy.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
09-09-2011, 08:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They absolutely don't get it. We are not the ones that flip out over cost savings and increased efficiency, I mean seriously that is why we are getting rid of unions. Hello McFly, anyone home? Gayle and qtip will never admit to the stupidity of bragging about this knowing that it aided in the increase of unemployment which is exactly why I asked qtip ever bothered to find out how exactly $1 million was saved.

eg8r </div></div>

If CCA had remained in control and saved a million via those same means, the thread would likely read very differently.

Sack </div></div>

I doubt you would have bothered posting in this thread, at all, if that had been the case.

You're correct, I don't like to see people lose their jobs.

What I think you're missing, is that I don't think private corporations should be involved, in any way, in our jails.

G.

Gayle in MD
09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They absolutely don't get it. We are not the ones that flip out over cost savings and increased efficiency, I mean seriously that is why we are getting rid of unions. Hello McFly, anyone home? Gayle and qtip will never admit to the stupidity of bragging about this knowing that it aided in the increase of unemployment <span style='font-size: 17pt'>which is exactly why I asked qtip ever bothered to find out how exactly $1 million was saved.</span>

eg8r </div></div>

Here we go. This is from a link contained in G's original link.

If you had read it, you would know this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BROOKSVILLE — Maj. Michael Page shook his head.

When the 39-year corrections veteran led the Sheriff's Office in its takeover of the Hernando County Detention Center last August, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>most of the 177 employees from the private company that had run the facility applied for new jobs.

Page interviewed every one of those applicants. He hired just 45 of them.</span><span style="color: #3333FF"> How's that for starters?</span>

As he thought back on Thursday to the transition, the major said most of those he rejected either failed background checks or just didn't meet his standards.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"Frankly," Page said, "I don't understand why a few of them weren't in jail."</span>

Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of the takeover. <span style='font-size: 26pt'>Since then, Page has made sweeping changes. He's upgraded the jail's technology, overhauled its security and cut significant costs — <span style="color: #990000">all with 39 fewer staff members</span> than Corrections Corporation of America, which had managed the facility for 22 years.</span>

Still, the jail faces considerable challenges that officials say CCA left behind. The same major maintenance problems that last year erupted into controversy are still not fixed, and it's unclear whether the money set aside by the County Commission will be enough to build a planned new standalone medical facility and cover the numerous repairs ahead.

Most of the physical problems could have been avoided, Page said, if CCA had just honored its agreement with the county.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"If they had performed routine maintenance as they should have and as their contract required," he said, "this building would look 10 times better."</span> <span style="color: #3333FF">How can this be? We all know the private sector does better work at lower cost!</span>

Because of the unresolved maintenance questions, the county withheld a $1.8 million final payment to CCA and has been sued in federal court by the company. That case is not yet resolved.

While concerns about the facility's future still linger, <span style='font-size: 20pt'>one thing has changed dramatically — the way the jail operates.</span> </div></div>

Do the rest yourself.

Q.... Gayle's link (http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/sheriff-saves-1-million-de-privatizin) </div></div>

Our resident child, isn't capable of reading anything for information. It's always obvious to me, that he nevver reads the provided links, he just jumps in with his usual childish behavior, throwing around insults, and calling everyone else names, that fit his own behavior, and lack of grasp on any given subject.

It gets old, fast.

We have several others here, who do the same thing.

Juveniles.

sack316
09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What I think you're missing, is that I don't think private corporations should be involved, in any way, in our jails.

G. </div></div>

No I'm not missing that at all... and in fact, in a perfect world I agree with you 100%.

Unfortunately, it is not perfect and we tend to have high increases in inmate population in this country. Obviously that's a whole other can of worms there that can be discussed, but for the purposes of this thread all we need to know is that the # of people in jail is pretty high and generally is ever increasing.

When counties, states, etc. cannot afford to build new jails and prisons to house all of these inmates, what other choice is left?

Which is the catch-22 situation (IMHO) I spoke of originally.

Sack

eg8r
09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our resident child, isn't capable of reading anything for information. It's always obvious to me, that he nevver reads the provided links</div></div>If I never read the link then how was qtip's hypocrisy brought to light? You are the guys leading the charge for unemployment. In this thread alone you are excited about the increase for unemployment. It was qtip that did not read the link OR, in his quest to find a "good" story for government he ended up finding a story where government control increased unemployment and he missed it.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
09-13-2011, 09:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

G. </div></div>

No I'm not missing that at all... and in fact, in a perfect world I agree with you 100%.

Unfortunately, it is not perfect and we tend to have high increases in inmate population in this country. Obviously that's a whole other can of worms there that can be discussed, but for the purposes of this thread all we need to know is that the # of people in jail is pretty high and generally is ever increasing.

When counties, states, etc. cannot afford to build new jails and prisons to house all of these inmates, what other choice is left?

Which is the catch-22 situation (IMHO) I spoke of originally.

Sack </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When counties, states, etc. cannot afford to build new jails and prisons to house all of these inmates, what other choice is left?

</div></div>

Raise Taxes, of course! Raise Taxes!!!!

The Bush Tax Cuts have devastated this country.

Never in our history, have we launched war, and cut taxes, NEVER!!!

BUSH AND THE Repiglicans spent like drunken sailors, launching two wars, and a new Prescription Drug entitlement, blocking any chance to negotiate for cheaper drugs, a giveaway for Big Pharma, while cutting taxes, and giving more and more away to corporations, who pollute the environment, and outsource our jobs, and give even more GIVEN away to the wealthiest among us IN THE FORM OF LOOPHOLES AND TAX CUTS.

AND while they were about it, they continued to say the deficits don't matter!!!

Meantime, their former business cronies, Saudi Arabia, the bin Ladens, The Carlyle Group, Blackwater, the huge complex of War Profiteering, defense contractors, The Thieves on Wall St., and the Military Industrial Complex, the growing high costs of Health Care annd Health Insurance, have raped our country of it's wealth, particularly, they robbed Middle Class, higher fuel costs, higher food costs, higher medical costs, and a greater divide between the wealthy and the rest.

The country cannot survive when the Middle Class loses buying power, since they are the very segment of our society, which drives consumer spending, AND HENCE, CREATES JOBS.

Tax cuts do not creat jobs!!! Tax cuts do not pay for themselves! Repiglican NEOCON policies, destroyed this country!
G.

eg8r
09-13-2011, 10:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raise Taxes, of course! Raise Taxes!!!!
</div></div>My goodness I hope you don't take this madness seriously in your own finances.

eg8r

LWW
09-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Why do I suspect that charlotte scours the codes seeking every nickel of a deduction she can find.

Gayle in MD
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM
We must destroy Repiglican Fascism befoer it's too late!