PDA

View Full Version : Perry...... big Govt guy?

Qtec
09-04-2011, 05:19 AM
http://jaredbernsteinblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/tx_Kyns.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas and the Gov’t: Better Friends Than You’d Think

Aug 16, 2011

At least better than you’d think listening to Gov Perry’s anti-government rhetoric. When he announced his candidacy for President the other day, he growled that his goal as president would be to make Washington “as inconsequential in your lives as I can.”

<u>Except when it comes to job creation.</u> Over the last few years, government jobs have been awfully consequential in Texas: <span style='font-size: 17pt'>47% of all government jobs added in the US between 2007 and 2010 were added in Texas.</span>

The chart shows that Texas employment wasn’t down much at all in these years, as the state lost only 53,000 jobs. But looming behind that number are large losses in the private sector (down 178,000) and large gains (up 125,000) in government jobs.

Now, this was a period when the nation lost close to eight million jobs, so this churning in Texas is a very small drop in that bucket. <u>But it sure doesn’t match the Governor’s anti-government rhetoric</u>.

In fact, as the table below shows, the nation as a whole added 264,000 government jobs, 2007-10, meaning public-sector jobs added in Texas account for almost half of the nation’s public-sector jobs over these years </div></div>

..and the 64,000 Dollar Q is,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>How did that happen?</span>

Well, Gov Perry has a funny way of going about that “inconsequential” thing. According to many news accounts from back in the Recovery Act days:

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>“Turns out Texas was the state that depended the most on those very stimulus funds to plug nearly 97% of its shortfall for fiscal 2010, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.”</span>

Now, I’ve got no problem with a state government using Recovery Act funds to retain or create jobs. In fact, the figure and quote above shows Texas to be following a traditional Keynesian game plan: as the private sector contracts, turn to the public sector to temporarily make up part of the difference.

So, no disrespect Gov, but when you’re getting your Keynes on like that, no need to hide it behind all that anti-gov’t rhetoric. </div></div>

LMFAO.

So the leading GOP Pres candidate is a liar and a hypocrite. What a surprise!

Q

LWW
09-04-2011, 07:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>NOW you should provide a link moron</span>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q </div></div>

Gayle in MD
09-04-2011, 09:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas and the Gov’t: Better Friends Than You’d Think

Aug 16, 2011

At least better than you’d think listening to Gov Perry’s anti-government rhetoric. When he announced his candidacy for President the other day, he growled that his goal as president would be to make Washington “as inconsequential in your lives as I can.”

<u>Except when it comes to job creation.</u> Over the last few years, government jobs have been awfully consequential in Texas: <span style='font-size: 17pt'>47% of all government jobs added in the US between 2007 and 2010 were added in Texas.</span>

The chart shows that Texas employment wasn’t down much at all in these years, as the state lost only 53,000 jobs. But looming behind that number are large losses in the private sector (down 178,000) and large gains (up 125,000) in government jobs.

Now, this was a period when the nation lost close to eight million jobs, so this churning in Texas is a very small drop in that bucket. <u>But it sure doesn’t match the Governor’s anti-government rhetoric</u>.

In fact, as the table below shows, the nation as a whole added 264,000 government jobs, 2007-10, meaning public-sector jobs added in Texas account for almost half of the nation’s public-sector jobs over these years </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>How did that happen?</span>

Well, Gov Perry has a funny way of going about that “inconsequential” thing. According to many news accounts from back in the Recovery Act days:

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>“Turns out Texas was the state that depended the most on those very stimulus funds to plug nearly 97% of its shortfall for fiscal 2010, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.”</span>

Now, I’ve got no problem with a state government using Recovery Act funds to retain or create jobs. In fact, the figure and quote above shows Texas to be following a traditional Keynesian game plan: as the private sector contracts, turn to the public sector to temporarily make up part of the difference.

So, no disrespect Gov, but when you’re getting your Keynes on like that, no need to hide it behind all that anti-gov’t rhetoric. </div></div>

LMFAO.

Q </div></div>

LMAO! Yes, and the Party that wants to do away with FEMA, now has Repiglican Governors out there bashing the hell out of Eric Cantor!

BWA HA HA HA...hyporcisy presonified!

Suddenly, the Fiscal Consedrvatives, are all pigs at the trough! I guess they have a clue they won't be re-elected, if FEMA doesn't show up NOW, instead of waiting for another destructive Repiglican created obstruction to an emergency situation, like when they were refusing to raise the debt limit, another Repiglican created DISASTER for the recovery, BTW, and now, they want Eric Cantor to STFU about finding money to cover the spending in their states, to deal with the Irene DISASTER!

Repiglicans always hit the wall, when their ridiculous ideologies, don't fit with the circumstances on the ground!

We have GOT to get those LYING HYPOCRITICAL pigs out of office!

G.

G.

Soflasnapper
09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>NOW you should provide a link moron</span>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q </div></div>
</div></div>

??? These are well known facts that have appeared in numerous places. I would have thought you'd seen them somewhere by this late date.

If you are instead convinced they are false, find some sources that contradict this information.

LWW
09-04-2011, 11:50 AM
So ... I guess that means you don't have one.

Again.

Soflasnapper
09-04-2011, 07:02 PM
LWW, if you would read slightly outside your right wing echo chamber, you would have seen these references yourself already. Perry's claims about his Texas job situation are a key talking point for his candidacy. All his key points have been given considerable scrutiny for several months now, as his rumored entering of the race became more likely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Energy is a Big Player — But Not the Biggest One

Oil and gas extraction employment in Texas has more than doubled in the last 10 years, and support industries for drilling have also boomed. Altogether, the mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction sector has jumped from over 230,000 jobs in 2001 to just under 490,000 in 2011.

But that’s only a fraction of the 14.2 million jobs in the state, and the oil and gas growth accounts for slightly more than 10% of all new jobs in the state since 2001.

What have been the biggest job gainers? Health care and social assistance (421,000-plus) and government (nearly 282,000) have made the largest additions to their payrolls in the last decade. It should be noted, however, that government jobs have declined in the last year — and were growing stagnant before then.

Yet once you extract federal government jobs, it’s clear that state and local government employment is doing considerably better in Texas than other states. Texas is one of 10 states that have seen increases in state and local government jobs since 2009, and its growth (29,287) is nearly nine times that of the state with the second-most growth, Kentucky (3,327).

These numbers don’t exactly bolster Perry’s small-government agenda claims.</div></div> link (http://www.economicmodeling.com/2011/08/16/sizing-up-texas-job-growth-under-rick-perry/)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> AUSTIN — In the Texas that Rick Perry sells on the presidential campaign trail, jobs are created by entrepreneurs reveling in a state government that knows its place.

In the Texas that Perry has presided over as governor since December 2000, the job-creation record is more complicated — and more tied to government.

During Perry's tenure, the combined number of federal, state and local government jobs in Texas has grown by 18.3 percent vs. a 10 percent increase in private-sector jobs.

One of every four jobs created in Texas since Perry became the state's chief executive is in the government sector, figures from the Texas Workforce Commission show.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politic...p#ixzz1X2Gu5aVH (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/Perry-rails-against-government-but-his-jobs-2142059.php#ixzz1X2Gu5aVH)
</div></div> From the San Antonio Express News website (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/Perry-rails-against-government-but-his-jobs-2142059.php#page-1)

Some 26 states have a lower rate of unemployment than Texas does right now. Including both Massachusetts and New York.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas' unemployment rate is at 8.2 percent, higher than the unemployment rate in the highly taxed, highly regulated state of New York. It is also higher than the 7.6 percent unemployment rate of Massachusetts, with its near universal health care, the state once governed by GOP rival Mitt Romney. </div></div>

Of course, neither of those states have booming energy industries as Texas does, making their record still more remarkable.

Here's the link to Q's post above (http://jaredbernsteinblog.com/texas-and-the-gov%E2%80%99t-better-friends-than-you%E2%80%99d-think/)

Qtec
09-05-2011, 01:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So ... I guess that means you don't have one.

Again.

</div></div>

step 1.
Copy and paste header - 'Texas and the Gov’t: Better Friends Than You’d Think'- into google.

Step 2.
click on the first link.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Texas+and...lient=firefox-a (http://www.google.com/search?q=Texas+and+the+Gov%E2%80%99t%3A+Better+Fri ends+Than+You%E2%80%99d+Think&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:nl:official&client=firefox-a)

Too tricky for you?

What happened to that great IQ of yours?

Q

eg8r
09-05-2011, 06:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the last few years, government jobs have been awfully consequential in Texas: 47% of all government jobs added in the US between 2007 and 2010 were added in Texas.
</div></div>qtip, you might want to listen to the rest of your handlers who will also tell us that the vast majority of jobs Perry has created are only minimum wage jobs. At this point I am going to be expecting a lot from you but maybe you will give it a fair shot. Can you tell me what types of government positions only pay minimum wage and tell me how many of those are available to staff in the state of Texas?

I can't wait to see you backtrack but then again that would require a little thought on your own and you have never excelled in that area.

eg8r

eg8r
09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are instead convinced they are false, find some sources that contradict this information. </div></div>If our courts of law worked like this Casey Anthony would have been sitting on death row.

eg8r

eg8r
09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
You guys really need to stop trying to find ONE point of view from the left to blast Perry because you know it isn't going to work. You need to pay close attention to everything your lefty media is stating so you can see the hypocrisy. There is no way in the world your two biggest stories are correct at the same time. 1. Perry added almost as many government jobs as the rest of the US and 2. The vast majority of jobs Perry added were minimum wage. Your two stories tell one big story of a giant lie being spread by lefty partisan media.

eg8r

Qtec
09-05-2011, 11:57 PM
In my post I didn't mention the minimum wage, but I believe that 37% of jobs created were minimum wage jobs. My point was that here we have another 'small govt' guy who actually did the opposite, just like Bush.

You obviously know nothing about this so you should read this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Miracle or mirage – what's the truth about Rick Perry's Texas?

Governor Rick Perry's 'economic miracle' could take him to the White House. But for many, his state is a land of hunger and poverty – <u>even for some of those who have a job.</u>

They arrived before dawn to wait for the food truck. Middle-aged men, young women with children, the elderly and the retired, mixing with the low-paid on their way to work. As the sun rose high in a blue summer sky, several hundred people clustered in precious spots of shade in Dove Springs, a suburb of the Texan capital of Austin. Some brought garden chairs to sit on.

When the truck from the Capital Area Food Bank eventually came, each person patiently waited to pick up a box containing cans of spaghetti sauce, fruit juice, a few pounds of potatoes and some pears. Connie Gonzales, an Austin city official, watched the crowds of hungry and desperate people and said that they grew bigger each week. "It is the economy. It is bad. Any help these people can get, they really need it," she said.

It is not meant to be this way. Not in Texas. After all, this is governor Rick Perry's Lone Star state. This is the Texas whose record at job creation is at the centre of Perry's bid for the Republican presidential nomination. This is the state whose economic "miracle" is being hailed as a conservative blueprint for the future of America – "Texas exceptionalism" as rightwing columnist George Will glowingly called it. This is the state of low taxes and low regulation and which is so pro-business that corporations are booming here. It is the state that dodged recession and has roared back into recovery; an oasis of jobs in a devastated US economy.

Yet there is a dark side. It was on stark display in Dove Springs. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>This is the Texas of a collapsing education system that is failing to educate its children. This is the Texas where millions have no health insurance and a growing low-wage economy means having a job is not enough to provide the basics of life. This is the hungry Texas that the food bank serves.</span>

Sharonda Buckley, 27, was a first-timer at the food handout, arriving at 8am and stunned to find herself 194th in the queue. Buckley has a job at a local technical equipment firm making oxygen canisters, and is also studying for an engineering degree. But her wages are so low, and her student fees so high, that she needed a food parcel to make ends meet.

"I have a job and I have education, but I still can't make it work," she said. "I had to put away my pride. I feel I should not have to stand in line for food." Then she gestured at her smiling three-year-old daughter who stood at her side. "I'm doing this for her," she said. </div></div>

link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/04/rick-perry-economic-mirage)

Q

Qtec
09-06-2011, 02:33 AM
All your base are belong to us

?

Q

eg8r
09-06-2011, 09:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point was that here we have another 'small govt' guy who actually did the opposite, just like Bush.
</div></div>Your point is bullcrap and you know it. It is impossible to create as many government jobs as you want us to believe yet have them all also be minimum wage (or a large percentage). The reason being is government jobs don't pay that low. When are you ever going to catch a clue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the Texas where millions have no health insurance and a growing low-wage economy means having a job is not enough to provide the basics of life. This is the hungry Texas that the food bank serves.
</div></div>LOL, yep all those government jobs don't pay enough to cover the bills. One of these you are going to wake up.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
09-06-2011, 10:07 AM
There are a lot of minimum wage jobs in Texas. Tied for 1st in that category with Mississippi, I've recently read.

That is sometimes mistaken, and slid over to a claim that all the new jobs, or most of the new jobs, or a large number of the new jobs created in Texas were minimum wage.

That is an understandable conclusion, since it is quite true about how many minimum wage jobs there are in Texas. Most in the country, to say it again.

However, it is still a mistake, however plausible one might find the conclusion. Certainly, SOME of the new jobs pay minimum wage. But Perry says something like 90% are above minimum wage, and as many of those are government jobs, that is probably true.

Gayle in MD
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Aug 16, 2011

LMFAO.

Q </div></div>

I guess today, we'll see him out there like the rest of the Repiglican governors after the Hurricane, with those pudgy hot hands out, begging for FEMA to show up!

I wonder if Cantor, will try to make him wait until the Repiglicans can find some cuts, maybe from some hungry Americans somewhere, Cantor can starve to death, before Perry gets the money for his Texas Emergency!

It's a GANGSTA government, until the Repigs start whining for help!

G.
G.

eg8r
09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, you have a long way to go in trying to preach to the lefties about how their two gross exaggerations are in contrast to each other. Good for you to try and be the guy to bring them all together and choose just ONE story.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, you have a long way to go in trying to preach to the lefties about how their two gross exaggerations are in contrast to each other. Good for you to try and be the guy to bring them all together and choose just ONE story.

eg8r </div></div>

I try to correct any errors I see, and that includes errors from 'my side' of things, so to speak.

Speaking of errors, any idea how to explain that with the Texas jobs miracle and all, that 26 states have lower levels of UE, including Massachusetts and NY? How is that possibly true, in your view?

eg8r
09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of errors, any idea how to explain that with the Texas jobs miracle and all, that 26 states have lower levels of UE, including Massachusetts and NY? How is that possibly true, in your view?
</div></div>I guess just sheer numbers. I really don't have any idea and haven't voiced an opinion that I believe him or not. It was much too easy to attack the two differing stories spun by the left. Instead of trying to prove the man correct it was much easier proving you guys (or at least half of you) were wrong.

eg8r

Qtec
09-08-2011, 06:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I guess just sheer numbers. <span style='font-size: 23pt'>I really don't have any idea </span></div></div>

LOL..you don't say. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Q

eg8r
09-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Ahh, look at the little schmuck pulling words out of context. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Qtec
09-08-2011, 07:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is that possibly true, in your view? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I guess just sheer numbers. I really don't have any idea ..</div></div>

Its your DIRECT answer to his DIRECT question. Not out of context at all.

Q..its not a shame to admit that you are talking out of your rectal region.

eg8r
09-08-2011, 07:52 AM
LOL, leave it to you to not have a clue.

eg8r

Qtec
09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Is LWW your clone?

Q

eg8r
09-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Is he?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
09-08-2011, 08:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All your base are belong to us

?

Q </div></div>

OMG GW Bush has invaded the forum!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Gayle in MD
09-14-2011, 09:31 AM
We must destroy Repiglican Fascism before it's too late!