PDA

View Full Version : Pool's Biggest Lies

Fred Agnir
09-20-2002, 10:58 AM
I know how to do it, I just can't execute it.

I usually make those shots.

I like to bank more than I like staight shots.

I used to be really good when I was younger.

No woman can beat me.

Fred

09-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Fred wrote:
"I know how to do it, I just can't execute."

Hey Fred. You know I'm a huge fan of anyone claiming the above /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif!

I'll add:

"I play better when I'm drunk."

- Steve

Jay M
09-20-2002, 11:06 AM
you forgot this one Fred =)

I shoot better when I'm drunk.

Jay M

cheesemouse
09-20-2002, 11:21 AM
"I used to know a guy who could make the 8 on the break everytime"

"I haven't been playing at all"

"I quit gambling at pool cause it causes to many problems"

"I play pretty good but.........blah blah blah"

"I should have beat him but he got all the rolls"

"I don't have any problem handling the pressure, I just go brain dead sometimes."

Pizza Bob
09-20-2002, 11:26 AM
My favorite: "He put himself through college playing pool!"

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wally_in_Cincy
09-20-2002, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I know how to do it, I just can't execute it.

I usually make those shots.

I like to bank more than I like staight shots.

I used to be really good when I was younger.

No woman can beat me.

Fred

<hr></blockquote>

Pizza Bob stole my all time favorite.
"I worked my way thru college/used to earn my living playing pool."

"I used to be a 7" (from a guy who's now a 4 strangely)

"I'm just trying to keep my handicap down"

09-20-2002, 02:11 PM
These are some of my favorites amongst the top players... who never miss.

--"I just can't see the ball anymore"

--"I can't make a ball"

--"I can't run out"

--"Everyone plays better than me"

--"I can't spot you"

--"I couldn't spot myself"

--"I lost 'cause my tip was messed up"

--"I lost 'cause these tables are all [censored] up"

There are way more lies than this... but I'll spare you all.

Funny thing... if a top player is hustling a stranger,... they'll use some of the above quotes...however, if they're talking about playing someone they already know.... then they'll say how good they play and how they're going to beat their opponents...they are so confident that they go back and fourth trying to get the opponent to even bet more... --now, catch that same player at a handicapped tournament and listen out for those quotes written above. LOL. Funny thing eh?

*For all that know me,... don't give me any grief about this post... you know it's all true... LOL.

--Pool... one big hustle.
**I wouldn't have it any other way**

Snooky

09-20-2002, 02:59 PM
Strictly for the ladies ... hopefully.

"My bra broke when I was shooting the money ball."

RedH &lt;------ actually had that happen a couple of weeks ago.

Troy
09-20-2002, 03:11 PM
The BIGGEST lie is "I'll pay you next week".

Harold Acosta
09-20-2002, 06:25 PM
1. "I was so good in my prime that I could have beaten any of today's Pros! If you don't believe me just ask anybody here!

2. "I quit the game because nobody wanted to play me!"

Cueless Joey
09-20-2002, 06:39 PM
I saw Mosconi run 526 balls.
I say Archer run 15 racks in a row.
I saw Efren make a spot shot, the cueball did not touch a rail.
I bought a Balabushka for 70 dollars. I lost it.
I saw Keith yell from the stands yelling, "I'll give ya all the ayeeght ball"
I saw Archie the Greek lose $250 grand to Tobey.
Come on bro, let's play some. I just want a game.

Voodoo Daddy
09-20-2002, 07:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
__________________________________________________ __________
Anyone who has been at a 9-ball tournament in the 80's heard that. I heard he used to wear a certain T-shirt that had to ethnic/racial backgrounds on it and the spot each could get from him...unreal if its true!

Tom_In_Cincy
09-20-2002, 07:58 PM
"I use to gamble, but the IRS kept coming after me"

"I won't play 9 ball, its just a luck game"

"I know Fred Agnir and he told me he once slept in a Holiday Inn"

"I've seen Allison Fisher play, I can bet her"

"I play better when I am behind"

"Wally in the Natti" is really Jose Prica.

TonyM
09-20-2002, 08:59 PM
One of my favorites is:

"I haven't hit a ball in 3 months!"

Tony

Cueless Joey
09-20-2002, 11:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Cueless Joey:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
__________________________________________________ __________
Anyone who has been at a 9-ball tournament in the 80's heard that. I heard he used to wear a certain T-shirt that had to ethnic/racial backgrounds on it and the spot each could get from him...unreal if its true!
<hr></blockquote>
It is true. Keith used to wear a shirt that read, The World Gets the Eight. But, the story of Keith yelling from the stands, "I'll give you any mothers the 8" was supposed to have happened in Sacramento or San Diego. Billy Johnson took him on it and got busted as the story goes.
Cornbread supposedly flew from Detroit upon hearing there was a scrawny kid giving anyone the 8 in Orange County. He went home busted.

#### leonard
09-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Steve when Joe Canton opened his poolroom in Troy in 1958 I would play with an oldtimer who ran a poolroom in the 20s in the same location as Joes room. He booked Ralph Greenleaf for an exhibition and Ralph showed up drunk. He ran 125 and out, holding onto the table to maintain his balance. Babe Cranfield told me of seeing him run 117 and out in the 1927 Worlds Championship game and he had to hold onto the table in that game.####

CarolNYC
09-21-2002, 03:58 PM
"Im on the hill-Im gonna win!"NOT!
"Ball in hand on the 9-no problem"-MISCUE
"Just soft roll it"-TOO SOFT!
Fred, I like what you posted about "overthinking", that is just too true!
Carol~saw Fred shoot-he CAN EXECUTE,MAKE THE SHOTS,BANKS&amp;STRAIGHTS and is GOOD!

bluewolf
09-21-2002, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> "Im on the hill-Im gonna win!"NOT!
"Ball in hand on the 9-no problem"-MISCUE
"Just soft roll it"-TOO SOFT!
Fred, I like what you posted about "overthinking", that is just too true!
Carol~saw Fred shoot-he CAN EXECUTE,MAKE THE SHOTS,BANKS&amp;STRAIGHTS and is GOOD! <hr></blockquote>

"I could be better if I hadn't wasted the last 3 years playing rightie when I am a leftie" &lt;G&gt;

this one is partially true.the lie would be if i kept shooting righty.

bw

09-21-2002, 05:15 PM
"If you can play, you can play with anything" (meaning the cue)
"A one piece house cue, is better then any custom cue."

09-21-2002, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I saw Efren make a spot shot, the cueball did not touch a rail.
I bought a Balabushka for 70 dollars. I lost it.
<hr></blockquote>

Actually I can shoot a spot shot and not hit a rail with the cueball and I do have a Balabushka I paid $100.00 for but I still have it.

9 Ball Girl
09-21-2002, 05:47 PM
"I lost 'cause I let you win" - said to me on a league night

"I'm not really playing for real" - said to me after I won

"I'll give you the 7 and out" - and then he changed his mind after I ran the first rack

"This music REALLY sucks" - said to me last night /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

DEADSTOKE32
09-21-2002, 08:34 PM
"I CAN GET OUT FROM ANYWERE".
I'M A "SHOTMAKER". WHO NEEDS'SHAPE.
I'LL TRY YOU WITH THE 7. BUT I DON'T PLAY 9 BALL!

Tom_In_Cincy
09-21-2002, 08:50 PM
Wendy,
Do you always attract those kinds of players? or is it that the place you play has more than its share?

Just kidding.. I know you play like a girl.. damn good

MikeM
09-21-2002, 09:03 PM
"I'm just trying not to show my true speed in case there's a sucker in the house."

MM

Chris Cass
09-21-2002, 09:10 PM
Hi Fred,

This came right out of Mike Segal' mouth while talking you a young attractive lady at the bar.

"Look, I got a check for $17,000 coming, from playing pool. It's all I can do. I don't have a trade."

LOL,
C.C.

09-21-2002, 10:48 PM
that spot shot isn't very difficult, give it a try /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Scott Lee
09-22-2002, 03:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jim Price:</font><hr> "If you can play, you can play with anything" (meaning the cue)<hr></blockquote>

This is is ABSOLUTELY true!

Scott Lee

jjinfla
09-22-2002, 05:42 AM
Now you have to separate the lies from the excuses. Jake

jjinfla
09-22-2002, 05:45 AM
"You shoot a pretty good stick" as he is picking up the winnings. Or "It could have gone either way if you just didn't get those bad rolls" Jake

bluewolf
09-22-2002, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Jim Price:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; "If you can play, you can play with anything" (meaning the cue)&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

This is is ABSOLUTELY true!

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

well i do not disagree with scott, but i do think a person can play better with some cues than others, at least that is the case for ww,not for me.but i am just a beginner so maybe it doesnt matter as much.

bw

bluewolf
09-22-2002, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> "You shoot a pretty good stick" as he is picking up the winnings. Or "It could have gone either way if you just didn't get those bad rolls" Jake <hr></blockquote>

are we going to discriminate between lies and bad sportsman statements?

bw

09-22-2002, 07:37 AM
To a degree but not your best speed. I doubt you would want to match up in a tough game with a junk cue. The comment is usually made as a putdown of someone with a nice expensive cue by someone who plays with a cheap junk cue. I would say with top players it may be even more important. They need every tiny advantage they can get due to the level of the competition. If in the final of this weeks US Open one of the final players cue was stolen and they played with a randomly selected house cue, their chance of winning would be almost zero. In fact I will tell you a fast story. I was at the poolroom and Parica (sp) was making a game with another player. While they were talking Parica was banging balls around with a cue that was laying on the table. The final comment by the other player was "OK but you have to play with that cue." Parica said yes. They played two games of one pocket and Parica said he quit if could not play with his own cue.

Chris Cass
09-22-2002, 08:13 AM
Hi Jim,

It's a fun thread, not a lets get down to business. You can shoot with anything. Even a broom stick but for the doe it's I'm running out to my car for a min. LOL

Parica, odviously wasn't comfortable or had confindence in the equipment he was playing with. Someone could give me a Szamboti and I still would choose my cue in a money match. I feel so much more confident with it.

Maybe Scott was lieing too? That is what the thread is about. hahahahha He may be an instructor and all but I still have to teach him how to rack. I couldn't make a ball on his. hahhahahahahahahahha

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Let me give you a chance to break even. I hate to walk away a winner, lets double the bet.

I'm not really a good player, I just like to gamble alot.

C.C.

09-22-2002, 09:01 AM
I was responding to Mr. Lees comment to me with an explanation. I am sorry if I had the audacity to disagree with one of your elite. (Yea right, he plays good). You may disregard my correction of some incorrect information posted Mr. Blackheart also. I knew this was a mistake posting here. I am glad I registered under my road name and not my real name saving all any embarrassment. Thank you

Wally_in_Cincy
09-22-2002, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jim Price:</font><hr> To a degree but not your best speed. I doubt you would want to match up in a tough game with a junk cue. The comment is usually made as a putdown of someone with a nice expensive cue by someone who plays with a cheap junk cue. I would say with top players it may be even more important. They need every tiny advantage they can get due to the level of the competition. If in the final of this weeks US Open one of the final players cue was stolen and they played with a randomly selected house cue, their chance of winning would be almost zero. In fact I will tell you a fast story. I was at the poolroom and Parica (sp) was making a game with another player. While they were talking Parica was banging balls around with a cue that was laying on the table. The final comment by the other player was "OK but you have to play with that cue." Parica said yes. They played two games of one pocket and Parica said he quit if could not play with his own cue. <hr></blockquote>

I agree with you.

Another lie (from one of my league teammates):
"I play better with a house cue."

He's stopped playing with his Mali and now uses a house cue. It's nothing more than a built-in excuse for losing.

Karatemom
09-22-2002, 10:58 AM
When you're beaten by a 6, 6 - 0, and he says, "good game".

That one really makes me mad, hahahaha.

Heide

TonyM
09-22-2002, 02:17 PM
How about this one (that I hear all the time):

"Yeah the ladies play pretty good, but there's about a million men in the U.S. that could beat them any day of the week"!

Tony
-I don't believe it for a second....

09-22-2002, 02:39 PM
"I got lucky!"

"I don't know how to play that game, but I'll play you some if you teach me how."

"My name is Cesar Morales."

09-22-2002, 02:51 PM
What do you mean? I was really good when I was young, I think.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-22-2002, 03:43 PM
With ball in hand,

The shot is missed and the player looks surprised and says, "well, I must of had a bad angle"

Barbara
09-22-2002, 04:09 PM
How about:

"Man!! I NEVER make that shot!"

Barbara~~~yeah right...

09-22-2002, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf::</font><hr>are we going to discriminate between lies and bad sportsman statements?<hr></blockquote>Bluewolf, Please call the office. We would like to have you to awnser a few questions. Thank you.

9 Ball Girl
09-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Hey, what can I say? Oh, another 2 favorite that I've heard are:

"Aw man I gave you that game!"

"You got lucky" - to which I respond, "no, you got unlucky" and then I give 'em a wink /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Chris Cass
09-22-2002, 07:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jim Price:</font><hr> I was responding to Mr. Lees comment to me with an explanation. I am sorry if I had the audacity to disagree with one of your elite. (Yea right, he plays good). You may disregard my correction of some incorrect information posted Mr. Blackheart also. I knew this was a mistake posting here. I am glad I registered under my road name and not my real name saving all any embarrassment. Thank you <hr></blockquote>

Jim,

Please relax, I meant no disrespect and don't go on account of me. I meant no harm. I apologize. Sometimes I can't get my grammer or feelings across when I type. Ask anyone here, I'm the last person that wants you to feel unwelcome. I also wanted to welcome you to the board too. I'm really sorry if I've caused any ill feelings. Please accept my humble apology and give me a chance.

Sincerely,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
09-23-2002, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jim Price:</font><hr> "If you can play, you can play with anything" (meaning the cue)
"A one piece house cue, is better then any custom cue."
<hr></blockquote>

This one is related to one of those statements that has some truth and some untruth to it:

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

Even the indian (or archer) would tell you how much hogwash that saying is.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks an indian would only pick good arrows.

bluewolf
09-23-2002, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jim Price:</font><hr> I was responding to Mr. Lees comment to me with an explanation. I am sorry if I had the audacity to disagree with one of your elite. (Yea right, he plays good). You may disregard my correction of some incorrect information posted Mr. Blackheart also. I knew this was a mistake posting here. I am glad I registered under my road name and not my real name saving all any embarrassment. Thank you <hr></blockquote>

no expert suddenly here. i just took one lengthy lesson with scott. i had a cue i hated so much i was ready to get it 'fixed'.when scott told me it was all in my head, all of a sudden i liked it just as much as my other cue and play equal with both.i like scotts cues too.ww didnt.

maybe it is a matter of you play best with what you think you play best with.not sure about the pro level.just guessing

bw

Fred Agnir
09-23-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> maybe it is a matter of you play best with what you think you play best with.not sure about the pro level.just guessing <hr></blockquote>
Just like any other sport, matching up the equipment specifications to your game and liking is paramount for success. Of course, you can play with any equipment, but you will play better with some compared to others. It has nothing to do with the expense of the equipment (which seemingly is the root of the saying).

I guess it boggles my mind why people have no problem with the fact that baseball players all use different bat sizes and weights, golfers use specialized equipment, bowlers change balll specs., yet change your stick and suddenly you've commited an unnatural act.

Fred

Rich R.
09-23-2002, 08:02 AM
Just to add a little something Fred, the bats, clubs and bowling balls you referred to are usually custom made and/or fitted for the players, especially if they are professional or advanced enthusiats. Nobody thinks much of it. But tell a non-pool player that you are having a cue stick made for yourself and they think you are crazy. As you said, the price doesn't matter. It could be an inexpensive sneaky pete or an elaborately inlaid custom cue. The non-player thinks you should use a house cue.
Rich R.

Fred Agnir
09-23-2002, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> "I used to be a 7" (from a guy who's now a 4 strangely)<hr></blockquote>
I met a guy yesterday whose father used to be one of the best 3C players in the world. He (the son) ran 177 in straight pool. Of course, he hasn't played in a long time...

Fred &lt;~~~ wonders why people have to lie about their game

09-23-2002, 08:42 AM
This happens nomatter how many people walk in to the pool hall together.
House man: "How many players?"
Customer(me included): "One."

/ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Sally
09-23-2002, 11:43 AM
"I haven't played in months. What're you giving up?"

09-23-2002, 11:52 AM
"This is an easy shot." -- normally said to one's self just moments before watching the object ball settle between the jaws of the pocket.

09-23-2002, 06:26 PM
i haven't been playing.

i don't gamble.

i'm out of stroke.

you'll get paid.

"this is the best hitting southwest,,,,,," ebayer

xxx's fanciest cue he's ever made.

kershenbrock-southwest made.

"this is quality coke."

followed by,,,,,"i'm innocent."

followed by,,,,,"i didn't play pool in prison."

PQQLK9
09-23-2002, 07:37 PM
This guy just wiped me out but I KNOW I can beat him...just give me a stake and we'll split the winnings. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Howdy,
Some players like ``Buck Tooth will say `` I am old and feeble,I have cataracts and cannot see``. No worries Mate,u can give what I asked u and still I can`t beat u.
vagabond