PDA

View Full Version : Lasik Qs

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Will someone personal message me with the general info concerning Lasik, how long is it good for, etc? I find it inside my budget and wonder if it might be a better investment in myself than any more billiard equipment. Y'll can start a discussion if you want...I just need some info and I know we have discussed this in the past, so personal mail is fine with me...sid

Cueless Joey
09-20-2002, 12:15 PM
I had my eye surgery back in '96. They used a knife then. I see OK but not great. But, there is no way I can play with contacts. My right eye is supposed to be 20/20 and my left (reading eye) is 20/40. I do have some contrast problem but not major. RK was brutal then. Post op was PAIN. The doctor and his crew basically lied to me. But, I see well now. It took about 2 yrs to get really used to mono vision. My right eye is my distance eye.
I have a coworker who had Lasik done about 2 yrs ago. Her vision is terrible now. She has to stick her nose close to the monitor to work on computers. But, she was extremely nearsighted b4.
My brother had it done last year. He is very happy with it. His post op was a breeze. He was playing basketball within a week. Lasik is much better than the old RK.
The key thing is to make sure you go to a good facility.

rackmup
09-20-2002, 12:37 PM
See if you can get "two-for-one" and I'll split the cost with you. Absent that, I strongly suggest you pay for me to have the Lasik procedure and I will report back to you on it.

Sound fair?

Regards,

Ken (has to wipe smudges off the monitor from my nose bumping it prior to each CCB session)

09-20-2002, 01:24 PM
I had the surgery a little over a year ago, and I've been very happy with it. My vision was roughly 20/600 in each eye, and I'm now able to read the 20/13 line on the eye chart with each eye. The surgery was very quick, and I really didn't have much discomfort at all afterward. My eyes burned a little (pretty much the same feeling as when you go swimming in a pool that has a lot of chlorine in it) for only about two hours after the surgery. I drove myself to my follow-up appointment the next day, and was hitting balls three days after the surgery. I probably could have done it sooner, but I didn't want to be around the smoke so soon afterward.

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Did you get an indication how long the vision was going to hold before needing assistance, either with conventional glasses or more surgery? sid

SpiderMan
09-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Joe,

I'm also interested. Got a few questions ....

1. How old are you?

2. What was the cylinder (astigmatism) portion of your optical prescription before surgery?

3. Assuming you were having nearsightedness corrected, have you noticed any increased difficulty with close vision after the surgery, compared to your close vision when you were previously wearing glasses or contacts? Do you think this surgery may have accentuated or pushed up a need for reading glasses?

4. At night, if you look up at a streetlight against a dark sky background, do you now see a halo around it (similar to what you would see if a slight fog were present)? Or, do you see any rays outside the edge of the light, similar to the effect created by a "star-cross" filter on a camera?

thanks and regards,

SpiderMan

09-20-2002, 04:43 PM
With Lasik, they "vaporize" the 3rd layer of the cornea (which is why they need to create the corneal flap, rather than just laser the first layer) which doesn't regenerate - meaning, the effects are, for all practical purposes, permanent. You will, with age, begin to need reading glasses, but that is because our actual lenses begin to go, not because of the cornea changing shape. At least, that is the load of crap they gave me ... I'm hoping they're right! /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif

09-20-2002, 04:55 PM
1. How old are you?

I'm 30 - 29 at the time of surgery.

2. What was the cylinder (astigmatism) portion of your optical prescription before surgery?

To be honest, I don't remember what the level of astigmatism was that I had, but it wasn't very high as it didn't justify the use of toric lenses. I just used regular disposable contact lenses. My prescription was -5.5 in my right eye, and -6.0 in my left.

3. Assuming you were having nearsightedness corrected, have you noticed any increased difficulty with close vision after the surgery, compared to your close vision when you were previously wearing glasses or contacts? Do you think this surgery may have accentuated or pushed up a need for reading glasses?

For about the first 3 weeks after the surgery, my up-close vision was a bit distorted, but this is because the cornea is still swolen. They gave me anti-inflamatory drops that would help. After about 3 weeks or so, my up-close vision was just as clear as my vision from any other distance.

4. At night, if you look up at a streetlight against a dark sky background, do you now see a halo around it (similar to what you would see if a slight fog were present)? Or, do you see any rays outside the edge of the light, similar to the effect created by a "star-cross" filter on a camera?

What causes this is the fact that the VISX (sp) laser can only cover so much surface area. Many people, including myself, have pupils that dilate beyond the surface area that the VISX laser can cover, meaning, at night when the pupils are fully dilated, the outter edge of the pupil will be looking through an un-treated area of the cornea. The laser that was used in my surgery, the Autonomis (sp) laser, can cover a much larger surface area, and so, I do not see halos around lights, or any other sort of "starburst" effects that were common with RK patients. However, it is normal to see them for the first few weeks or so (I did also), and I believe that this is also attributed to the swelling.

Hope this helped /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif ...

billy bob
09-20-2002, 05:22 PM
howdy rackmup, my eyes are purty good. me and paw shot flys off cows tails. had to quit that paw shot off more than one tail. eyes aint my problem its my swing, been chopin to much fire wood i guess. your friend billy bob

Fred Agnir
09-20-2002, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> Joe,

I'm also interested. Got a few questions ....

1. How old are you?

thanks and regards,

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>

I'm not Joe, but.

I'm 35. I had Lasik done in January. I currently am 20/15 in the left ,and 20/25 in the right. My astigmatism in the right was -1.5. The total correction for my right was about -6.50. The left was about -5.50. I also had astigmatism in my left. Currently, I have residual astigmatism in my right (which is why I'm 20/25).

I guess I still have slight halos, and slight starburst. However, to be clear, before the surgery, I had MAJOR halos, MAJOR starbursts, *and* double-vision. I cannot stress how much better I am at night.

There is a definite decrease in the ability to see near. Being so nearsighted before, I could lay the letter right on my eyeball, and it still would be in focus. Now, there needs to be what seemingly (compared to others with normal vision) is a little distance between the letter and the eyeballs.

Personally, I don't think anyone should get this procedure with hopes of making your game better.

Fred &lt;~~~ gives LASIK surgery a huge thumbs-up

Sid_Vicious
09-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Fred...Back of my mind I wondered if it would make a difference in my game, and yet I don't aim at pinpoint specks so it really was more of a confidence building aspect pertaining to the pool game. Hell we keep buying $100 an hour lessons, $1K+ cues and "pay our dues" gambling cheap. At least this way I'd end up with an overall, personal improvement beyond pool, and just possibly it would give me one out on the hill. I just didn't know if the surgery was worth it for the time it lasted...sid

Fred Agnir
09-21-2002, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Fred...Back of my mind I wondered if it would make a difference in my game, and yet I don't aim at pinpoint specks so it really was more of a confidence building aspect pertaining to the pool game. Hell we keep buying $100 an hour lessons, $1K+ cues and "pay our dues" gambling cheap. At least this way I'd end up with an overall, personal improvement beyond pool, and just possibly it would give me one out on the hill. I just didn't know if the surgery was worth it for the time it lasted...sid <hr></blockquote>
For me, the surgery has made swimming enjoyable again. I'm able to see in the shower. In the middle of the groggy night, I can tell what time it is. I'm not shooting blindly judging solely on the sound of the water. Searching for eyeglasses or contacts (the ultimate irony) is no longer an issue.

Don't get me wrong, Sid. It will benefit pool, but I don't think it made my game better, nor was my game the significant reason why I chose to do it. I would hope that anyone who considers such a surgery would do so with their main life outside of pool in mind.

That being said, for pool, the biggest thing for me was that with my astigmatism, my "correcting" contacts would rotate out of position in the late evening making me shoot at two object balls (double vision). Plus the dry eyes associated with the contacts made league nights miserable.

Back to your question of "lasting." I think that as long as your vision is already stable, then today's LASIK surgery (much more advanced than even last year) provides a much higher success rate at long-term correction. But that's more up to your eyes than it is up to the LASIK surgery.

Fred

Rip
09-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Sid, I'm also exploring options for vision correction. One of our local "eye zapper" clinics just started touting the Sunrise LTK procedure and I thought others here might be interested. Here is a link which I found very helpful. I'll be discussing this with my eye guy in a couple of days as I'd love to rid myself of glasses. http://www.clevelandeyeclinic.com/pages/sunrisefaq.html
Regards, Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Will someone personal message me with the general info concerning Lasik, how long is it good for, etc? I find it inside my budget and wonder if it might be a better investment in myself than any more billiard equipment. Y'll can start a discussion if you want...I just need some info and I know we have discussed this in the past, so personal mail is fine with me...sid <hr></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
09-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Rip....How this procedure price out in general comparison to LASIK? sid