PDA

View Full Version : Web verdict: bad night for Perry

Soflasnapper
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Same old lamestream press beating up on a true conservative? What would you expect? It's only because they FEAR him, right?

Not exactly. Conservative pundits and conservative bloggers agree:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Conservative bloggers and commentators agree: Rick Perry took a beating at the CNN-Tea Party Express debate.

With all the candidates coming at the field’s frontrunner, the attacks on Perry and his responses consumed Monday night. But they also showed the hard road the Texan will have to climb to the GOP nomination: all his rivals put his campaign on defense by mining his decade-long record in Texas, including his stances on vaccinating girls against HPV, opposing a border fence and attacking Social Security.

POLITICO 44

Conservative columnist Mona Charen put it bluntly: “It was a bad night for Perry,” she wrote at National Review, noting that Monday was likely the first time a national audience learned about these issues.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63445.html#ixzz1Xx67V9OT
</div></div>

eg8r
09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Perry knew this would happen. When he decided to shun W and go his own route he knew that Rove and those that support W will put all their effort in running against Perry.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 11pt'>Perry's Merck link in spotlight following vaccine order
Gardasil maker hired his former chief of staff as a lobbyist in Austin </span>

By Michael Isikoff National investigative correspondent
NBC News
updated 9/8/2011 5:29:45 PM ET 2011-09-08T21:29:45

Texas Gov. Rick Perry's GOP rivals sharply criticized him during Wednesday night's debate over his 2007 executive order mandating that teenage girls be vaccinated to prevent cervical cancer — a move that drew strong opposition at the time from social conservatives and was later overturned by the state Legislature.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>But they failed to bring up a key part of the story that fueled the Texas controversy and which Democrats are poised to pounce on: Perry's order came after the drug company that manufactured the vaccine hired Mike Toomey, his former chief of staff, as one of the firm's top lobbyists in Austin.

Toomey, who is now running the main "super pac" backing Perry's candidacy, was retained by pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co., maker of the Gardasil vaccine, which is designed to prevent the human papillomavirus, or HPV, an infection linked to cervical cancer in women. </span>First Read: Simi Valley debate slugfest

His hiring was part of an aggressive lobbying push in Texas by the drug company, which also donated $16,000 to Perry's gubernatorial campaigns in the two and a half years prior to the executive order. Merck paid Toomey between $260,000 and $535,000 in lobbying fees between 2005 and 2010, according to state lobbying records.

Although Perry's GOP foes never brought up the connection during the debate, Democratic political operatives and a public watchdog group said Thursday his association with Merck is likely to be emerge as a prime example of Perry's "crony capitalism," should he win the GOP nomination.

Story: Perry, Romney twist records in debate

"When he signed that executive order, it turned a lot of heads because it seemed so out of character and didn’t sit well with his base," said Craig McDonald, director of Texans for Public Justice, a group that tracks campaign contributions and lobbying in Austin. "Then people went looking."

Once the Toomey connection was discovered, "it was so obvious ... This is a prime example of how he [Perry] does something for a crony.”

Asked for comment, Mark Miner, a spokesman for the Perry campaign, emailed: "It's a 'prime example' of the Governor standing on the side of life."

On the campaign trail, Perry had recently apologized for the executive order-which would have made Texas the first state in the country to mandate that all teenage girls, starting with 12-year-old sixth graders, be vaccinated with Gardasil.

"I readily stand up and say I made a mistake on that," Perry said during an Iowa radio call-in show last month.

But he appeared to mostly defend the executive order during the debate, saying his goal was to "save lives."

"We wanted to bring that to the attention of these thousands of-tens of thousands of young people in our state," he said. "We allowed for an opt-out … Now did we handle it right? Should we have talked to the Legislature first before we did it? Probably so. But at the end of the day, I will always err on the side of saving lives."

Story: Two Texans trade barbs in GOP debate

But that didn't stop Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum from bashing Perry over the issue.

</div></div>

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44442051/ns/...-vaccine-order/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44442051/ns/politics/t/perrys-merck-link-spotlight-following-vaccine-order/)

<span style="color: #660000"> He also lied about how much money he got from Merck, it's more like nearly thirty-thousand, not five thoussand.

Seems Perry's memory on his own corporate cronyism is a bit Mercky, and Merck is far from the only one, his crony capitalism connections with polluting pigs in the oil and gas industry, is even more disgusting!

G. </span>

Soflasnapper
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
His deficit in polls to Obama has tripled in the past week.

Man down!

cushioncrawler
09-14-2011, 06:11 PM
".....But at the end of the day, I will always err on the side of saving lives......"

For the text oriented among us, here’s what transpired.

WILLIAMS: Governor Perry, a question about Texas. Your state has executed 234 death row inmates, more than any other governor in modern times. Have you…

(APPLAUSE)

Have you struggled to sleep at night with the idea that any one of those might have been innocent?

PERRY: No, sir. I’ve never struggled with that at all. The state of Texas has a very thoughtful, a very clear process in place of which — when someone commits the most heinous of crimes against our citizens, they get a fair hearing, they go through an appellate process, they go up to the Supreme Court of the United States, if that’s required.

But in the state of Texas, if you come into our state and you kill one of our children, you kill a police officer, you’re involved with another crime and you kill one of our citizens, you will face the ultimate justice in the state of Texas, and that is, you will be executed.

WILLIAMS: What do you make of…

(APPLAUSE)

What do you make of that dynamic that just happened here, the mention of the execution of 234 people drew applause?

PERRY: I think Americans understand justice. I think Americans are clearly, in the vast majority of — of cases, supportive of capital punishment. When you have committed heinous crimes against our citizens — and it’s a state-by-state issue, but in the state of Texas, our citizens have made that decision, and they made it clear, and they don’t want you to commit those crimes against our citizens. And if you do, you will face the ultimate justice.

For some — in this case, opponents of the death penalty — this was sort of a double whiplash moment, a gasp within a gasp that may have been more confusing than mobilizing. Because which was more disturbing (or heartening, depending on your political view)? Perry’s unbowed defense of the “thoughtful” trial process in Texas and the clear expression of his untroubled mind in the face of possible moral doubt and complexity (i.e., Have I facilitated the death of an innocent human?)? Or the audience applause that bracketed the exchange, the rousing audience cheers for an aggressively applied death penalty? In California, mind you, not Texas.

Let’s look at the applause, the “execution cheer,” if you will. Because any number of analysts might have expected Perry to say what he said, but the cheer was a surprise — a welcome sort for some, but unwelcome for others.

This is the digital age, so let’s begin with an immediate outburst from Andrew Sullivan, who during his live blogging of the debate, wrote:

9.48 pm. A spontaneous round of applause for executing people! And Perry shows no remorse, not even a tiny smidgen of reflection, especially when we know for certain that he signed the death warrant for an innocent man. Here’s why I find it impossible to be a Republican: any crowd that instantly cheers the execution of 234 individuals is a crowd I want to flee, not join. This is the crowd that believes in torture and executions. Can you imagine the torture that Perry would authorize? Thank God he’s doing so poorly tonight.

The next morning, Sullivan’s former colleague, The Atlantic’s Ta-Nehisi Coates, seemed somewhat less rattled, though hardly cheerier. “Apparently people were shocked by the applause here,” he wrote. “The only thing that shocked me was that they didn’t form a rumba line. It’s a Republican debate. And it’s America.” He continued:

cushioncrawler
09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
That whole “perfectly applied” thing — the goal of which requires the person being put to death to actually be guilty — also troubled others. Marie Diamond at Think Progress Justice undertakes a thorough debunking of the idea that everyone executed in Texas in the past decade or so was guilty:

[D]uring Perry’s tenure as governor, DNA evidence has exonerated at least 41 people convicted in Texas, Scott Horton writes in Harper’s. According to the Innocence Project, “more people have been freed through DNA testing in Texas than in any other state in the country, and these exonerations have revealed deep flaws in the state’s criminal justice system.” Some 85 percent of wrongful convictions in Texas, or 35 of the 41 cases, are due to mistaken eyewitness identifications.

Those exonerations include Cornelius Dupree, who had already spent 30 years in prison for rape, robbery, and abduction when DNA evidence proved unequivocally that he was not the man who had committed those crime. Tim Cole, the brother of Texas Sen. Rodney Ellis (D), was posthumously pardoned a decade after he died in prison when DNA evidence proved his innocence. The total failure of the Texas courts to protect these innocent individuals reveal a system plagued by racial injustices, procedural flaws, and a clemency review process that’s nothing but a rubber stamp on executions.

Leading the country in wrongful convictions probably should give Perry a moment’s pause about the reliability of a criminal justice process he described last night as “thoughtful.” …

And he may well have already executed an innocent man. The case of Cameron Todd Willingham, who was executed in 2004 for the arson deaths of his three daughters and maintained his innocence until his dying day, will likely continue to haunt Perry throughout the campaign. Several scientists and forensics experts have questioned the evidence that led to Willingham’s conviction, but Perry “squashed” an official probe into his execution.

cushioncrawler
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Taking another tack, political animal Steve Benen at Washington Monthly notes the apparent inconsistency in Perry’s much-discussed attitude towards science:

[W]e’re learning quite a bit about how Rick Perry thinks. Scientists tell him, after rigorous, peer-reviewed, international research that global warming is real, and Perry responds, “I don’t care.” A deeply flawed judicial process puts potentially-innocent Americans on death row, and Perry responds, “Let’s get the killin’ started.”

The governor balks when presented with evidence on evolution, abstinence education, and climate change, but embraces without question the notion that everyone he’s killed in Texas was 100 percent guilty. The scientific process, he apparently believes, is unreliable, while the state criminal justice system is infallible.

Intellectually, morally, and politically, this isn’t just wrong; it’s scary. The fact that Republicans in the audience found this worthy of hearty applause points to a party that’s bankrupt in more ways than one.

Sev
09-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm not sold on Perry.

I suspect somebody else is going to pass him.

nAz
09-14-2011, 07:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The governor balks when presented with evidence on evolution, abstinence education, and climate change, but embraces without question the notion that everyone he’s killed in Texas was 100 percent guilty. The scientific process, he apparently believes, is unreliable, while the state criminal justice system is infallible.

</div></div>

sounds like a shoe in tow in the Republican/tea party nomination

hondo
09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
That's probably true. I love it when you say something smart, Eg.

hondo
09-14-2011, 08:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sold on Perry.

I suspect somebody else is going to pass him. </div></div>

Any thoughts on who that might be?
Wonder what our resident Nostradumass, dearless leader, think?

ugotda7
09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!