PDA

View Full Version : Reyes beats Deuel

09-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Bata in Subic Masters finals

SUBIC-Filipino ace Efren "Bata'' Reyes recovered from a second set setback to down US Open champion Corey Deuel, 5-3, 3-5, 5-1, Friday night and enter the Cafe Puro Masters Challenge finals before an enthusiastic crowd at the Subic Yacht Club.
Reyes was ahead, 3-2, in the second set when Deuel came back strongly, winning the sixth to eighth racks to force the decider. But Reyes, fresh from winning the inaugural Asian 9-Ball tournament in Singapore, kept his poise to frustrate the American's bid for a come-from-behind victory.

"My game suddenly became soft in the second set. I'm just glad that my breaking has improved a lot. Corey did not go down without a fight,'' said Reyes.

Reyes dominated Deuel in the elimination, 5-0, 5-3, but Deuel played with new-found vigor hoping to upstage the Filipino legend.

Reyes will later meet the winner of the other half of the semis, featuring elimination topnotcher Francisco ''Django'' Bustamante and Finland's Mika Immonen, for the title.

The champion in the four-day tournament will pocket 10,000 dollars. The loser will get 7,500 dollars.

Reyes raced to a 4-0 lead in the decider, but a mis-hit on the five ball gave Deuel a glimmer of hope.

Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority chairperson Felicito Payumo said proceeds of the tournament would go to education of 100 Aetas.

here's the link: http://www.inq7.net/spo/2002/sep/21/spo_3-1.htm