PDA

View Full Version : The Late Session Sags

Sid_Vicious
09-15-2011, 03:22 AM
I have found recently, during 6-8 hour wagering sessions, that the last hour or so is demoralizing. My game, to my game's standards, backed up by the wonderful wallet weight, was stellar leading up to that zone of time, then the quicksand was just consuming. How do you get back to a winnable player when this happens? Sucks to give back so much just before closing time...sid

Fran Crimi
09-15-2011, 07:22 AM
I've seen my share of these matches and played a few myself, and when you get to the 6th hour it's all about stamina. The better conditioned player will hold up better.

One issue is how hard you are working during those 6 hours. If you are tense, you will tire yourself out faster.

Another issue is your body running low on fuel. Raisins and nuts are good to much on during long sessions. The nuts will provide needed protein and fat and the raisins will supply your brain with the needed sugar. But don't overdue it. A handful every hour or so, or when you start to feel a little lightheaded, is all that's necessary.

I like to keep a sliced apple with me when I play a league match. If I feel myself fading, I grab a couple of slices and I feel better.

SpiderMan
09-15-2011, 11:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found recently, during 6-8 hour wagering sessions, that the last hour or so is demoralizing. My game, to my game's standards, backed up by the wonderful wallet weight, was stellar leading up to that zone of time, then the quicksand was just consuming. How do you get back to a winnable player when this happens? Sucks to give back so much just before closing time...sid </div></div>

Because I know you personally, I know that you are a little bit "kind-hearted". You start to feel bad if you are way up on someone at closing time. I think you seem happiest after a session where a lot of money changed hands and you went home winners, but you didn't really rob anyone. I'm sure that's part of it - all the thrill of the gamble, and no one gets hurt.

But are you also drinking alcohol throughout these sessions? While some people play better initially after a beer or two for relaxation, continued drinking adds to fatigue and dulls the ability to focus.

It's a depressant, after all - it starts out by calming you down, but may finish by wearing you down.

If you tend to gamble with the same folks week after week, could they have learned to just hang in there and wait until you start to sag? Combined with a subconscious desire to give a little back, this could be hard to overcome.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Been dry and sober in this situation here. I also lost my feelings about being "mr. nice" since I've been stuck a few times. This is new...sid

Sid_Vicious
09-16-2011, 05:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen my share of these matches and played a few myself, and when you get to the 6th hour it's all about stamina. The better conditioned player will hold up better.

One issue is how hard you are working during those 6 hours. If you are tense, you will tire yourself out faster.

Another issue is your body running low on fuel. Raisins and nuts are good to much on during long sessions. The nuts will provide needed protein and fat and the raisins will supply your brain with the needed sugar. But don't overdue it. A handful every hour or so, or when you start to feel a little lightheaded, is all that's necessary.

I like to keep a sliced apple with me when I play a league match. If I feel myself fading, I grab a couple of slices and I feel better. </div></div>

Thanks Fran. I believe you have a good analysis, I don't usually eat before the evening sessions, but it never seemed to be affecting since pool is on-going fun. Once I walk out the door for the night, the body begins to feel like the Blues Mobile, so it had to be weak during play. Would a jolt of redbull work in a rush for more zest when the the quicksand hits? sid

Brian in VA
09-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi Sid,
Fascinating discussion! May I recommend 5 Hour Energy instead of Red Bull. It doesn't have the crash that an energy drink does and seems to provide better focus. Barring that, I find that eating something every 3 hours has really improved my overall energy. I've spent the past 6 months establishing a new process for my eating in an effort to get off a bunch of prescription meds. (Good news is it worked!) The results have been nothing short of amazing for me.

Good luck!

Brian in VA

Soflasnapper
09-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Sid, do you sit during your opponent's turn? For some reason I never used to, so I'd be standing and/or leaning on a handy nearby counter surface for many hours in a row. Learned to park it, and that has helped my energy through to the end of sessions (and well before the end, actually).

Sid_Vicious
09-16-2011, 12:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sid, do you sit during your opponent's turn? For some reason I never used to, so I'd be standing and/or leaning on a handy nearby counter surface for many hours in a row. Learned to park it, and that has helped my energy through to the end of sessions (and well before the end, actually). </div></div>

I became a believe when one of my mentors said that it's even a good idea to pack a spare, fresh set of shoes, so I have "my chair" and it don't bother me to run people outta it pronto. I sit as much as I can, and preach that fact. I don't however have a spare set of shoes in the car. Thanks for the flag about sitting...sid

Fran Crimi
09-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I would stick to real food snacks that energize you rather than liquid supplements. Those drinks are loaded up with caffine which can make you jumpy and nervous --- not good for pool.

SpiderMan
09-16-2011, 02:25 PM
If I'm playing an all-day tourney and I know it won't last more than a couple more hours, I'll allow myself a coke. Caffeine does make you more alert if you're flagging, and it's fine if you don't have a full day remaining. Not the same for everyone, though. You have to know your own system.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
09-16-2011, 10:34 PM
I have been caffine free for years, except for the occasional coffee with the sis or brothers during a visit. My thought though was that since the sudden "jolt" would help when that quicksand hits with another hour looming, and cash is on the line. I'd of course select something natural, but you just sometimes get caught up in a marathon unprepared. sid

jjinfla
09-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Then of course it could be you are getting old.

Time catches up to everyone.

Start jogging in the morning like Strickland.

Sid_Vicious
09-24-2011, 01:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then of course it could be you are getting old.

Time catches up to everyone.

Start jogging in the morning like Strickland. </div></div>

I wouldn't jog, but I have considered swimming laps again after many, many years. You are right, I mainly only get exercise when I play pool for a couple of marathon sessions a week. That's not good to have to admit...sid

jjinfla
09-26-2011, 08:01 AM
LOL.

Lately Strickland has been commenting how he has to get into shape to keep playing pool at the highest level. He says he started running and doing sit-ups.

I don't jog either. I was riding a bike but got a blowout and haven't gotten around to replacing the tire so I started walking a mile or two every other day.

But then I haven't been playing any pool lately - I just lost the desire. Went to the pool hall a month ago for the Sunday tournament and enjoyed it. Still a lot of the same people there (I was away for about 3 years). How time flies. I think I will go back next Sunday. Maybe someone will buy my SouthWest. If not, then I better start playing with it instead of just looking at it.

Sure wish pool players didn't smoke so much.