PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on EasyWater?

Soflasnapper
09-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I found out my house has hard water, and recently heard a few spots on Sean Hannity's show for EasyWater, which offers a no maintenance, no salt, environmentally friendly method of softening water.

I meant to check out their materials, but forgot their names until Hannity ran another personal voice over ad for them again. Checking their website, I found it a little vague as to what they were claiming was their method, OR its results.

Some Google bar add-on from the desktop I was using showed a link to a Culligan man discussing the product, so I clicked through, thinking it must be an endorsement from a competitor's staff. Instead, the guy blasted EasyWater as a scam that cannot be true, and other links to reviews were provided as well.

I ended up on a tractor discussion site (much more mannered than this one), and a plumbing discussion site, and got an earful. One person seemingly sympathetic to Sean Hannity said he was disappointed to find him supporting such a ripoff. But he REALLY is backing it with his own personal endorsement, stating the firm has been around for over 100 years, doing this for over 20, that he has it and it is great.

The theory is that using magnets and/or an electric field creating a magnetic field, on a smallish segment of pipe coming into the house, reorients the ions in the 'hard' elements (calcium and magnesium) so that they do NOT bind to the pipes as plaque or calcification, providing the benefits of water softening without using sodium chloride to take them out of the water (replaced by sodium).

IF this works, it is apparently able to do so under a different kind of physics than is accepted as mainstream. Ever hear of the idea of treating hard water with magnets or electric coils? Evidently, by the comment section remarks, this has come and gone into fashion many times, with mainly those companies offering such products going bankrupt pretty quickly.

LWW
09-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Everything I have heard about EW says it's a scam ... but I have no firsthand knowledge.

Qtec
09-17-2011, 07:44 PM
LOL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW51zx4LHxk)
Q

Sev
09-18-2011, 06:34 AM
I remember back in the 80's seeing commercials for magnets on pipes to control build up. I have always been skeptical of the process.

Personally I would be far more worried about filtering all the pharmaceuticals and various other heavy elements out of the water.

One downside to say triple filter osmosis is that it also filters out all the good minerals that are contained in fresh water.

cushioncrawler
09-18-2011, 05:06 PM
The following technical explanation explains technically how the EasyMoney unit works. And Plymouth University tests carried out in the University's world-class Economics Laboratory hav proven that the EasyMoney unit sells well and makes lots of easy money.
mac.

[......Posted by mbdf (My Page) on Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 18:32

More from another vendor website...
"The Electronic water softener unit is composed of a signal cable that is wrapped several times around the pipe and an electronic unit that sends out a complex, dynamic current to produce extremely small, time-varying oscillating fields inside the pipe. The current that produces a oscillating field is known as Ampere's Law.

Electronic water softeners signal produces a unique <span style='font-size: 20pt'>square </span>wave current that sweeps all the frequency responses from 1,000 - 12,000 Hz at a rate of 20 times a second. When the strength of the oscillating field varies with time and changes direction, an induced current is produced inside the pipe, a phenomenon known as Faraday's Law of Induction.

As the induced electric field oscillates, all particles which have an electrical charge are affected by the induced field. This causes the unstable mineral ions to precipitate or collide with each other to the point where the calcium carbonate crystals grow until they become so large that there are no more surface charges left to stick to the pipe walls. These calcium molecules precipitate into an aragonite form and flow through the system. As a byproduct of this "snowball" effect, freed water molecules become available to remove existing scale, molecule by molecule."

If this is accurate, can 2 inches of wrapped pipe really keep flowing water in an electric field long enough to create "aragonite" crystals? Hmmm.....]

cushioncrawler
09-18-2011, 05:20 PM
[wikileaks] Properties
A square is a special case of a rhombus (equal sides), a kite (two pairs of adjacent equal sides), a parallelogram (opposite sides parallel), a quadrilateral or tetragon (four-sided polygon), and a rectangle (opposite sides equal, right-angles) and therefore has all the properties of all these shapes, namely[1]

The diagonals of a square bisect each other and meet at 90 degrees.
The diagonals of a square bisect its angles.
The diagonals of a square are perpendicular.
Opposite sides of a square are both parallel and equal length.
All four angles of a square are equal. (Each is 360°/4 = 90 degrees, so every angle of a square is a right angle.)
The diagonals of a square are equal.

[edit] Other facts
If the diagonals of a rhombus are equal, then that rhombus must be a square. The diagonals of a square are (about 1.414) times the length of a side of the square. This value, known as Pythagoras’ constant, was the first number proven to be irrational.

A square can also be defined as a rectangle with all sides equal, or a rhombus with all angles equal, or a parallelogram with equal diagonals that bisect the angles.

If a figure is both a rectangle (right angles) and a rhombus (equal edge lengths), then it is a square.

If a circle is circumscribed around a square, the area of the circle is π / 2 (about 1.57) times the area of the square.

If a circle is inscribed in the square, the area of the circle is π / 4 (about 0.79) times the area of the square.

A square has a larger area than any other quadrilateral with the same perimeter.[2]

A square tiling is one of three regular tilings of the plane (the others are the equilateral triangle and the regular hexagon).

The square is in two families of polytopes in two dimensions: hypercube and the cross polytope. The Schläfli symbol for the square is {4}.

The square is a highly symmetric object. There are four lines of reflectional symmetry and it has rotational symmetry of order 4 (through 90°, 180° and 270°). Its symmetry group is the dihedral group D4.

[edit] Non-Euclidean geometryIn non-euclidean geometry, squares are more generally polygons with 4 equal sides and equal angles.

In spherical geometry, a square is a polygon whose edges are great circle arcs of equal distance, which meet at equal angles. Unlike the square of plane geometry, the angles of such a square are larger than a right angle.

In hyperbolic geometry, squares with right angles do not exist. Rather, squares in hyperbolic geometry have angles of less than right angles. Larger squares have smaller angles.

cushioncrawler
09-18-2011, 05:32 PM
So, what i would like to know iz why duzz EasyMoney uze a square signal when all plumbing pipes are circular.
On the other hand that might be why it sells so well. The square corners of the square wave hav maximum effekt on the circular walls of the pipes.

But i am not fully convinced that EasyMoney iz az effektive az Economix Laboratory tests show. Some obvious questions.....
..... What are the aktual sales figures???
..... How much duzz the CEO make per year???
..... Iz EazyMoney too big to fail???
..... Could Obama bail out a water company????
mac.

cushioncrawler
09-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Aqua Genisis sells SaleWatcher units, and duz not recommend that anyone buy EasyMoney.

".....The system consists of the energizing unit and a coil which is wrapped around the pipe of the incoming water supply.

The SaleWatcher electronic device treats the hard water with a patented technology by inducing variable electric fields with a continuously changing frequency. This forces the dissolved minerals such as Calcium and Magnesium to crystallize and remain in suspension in the water instead of adhering to walls of piping, faucets or heating elements of water heaters. The hard minerals now in suspension flow with the water and are discharged through the drain.

This action stops any build up of hard scale. The capability of the water to dissolve minerals is also increased and this is the reason why hard scale layers will be softened, will slowly enter into the water stream, and will disappear <span style='font-size: 20pt'>down the drain</span>. This effect will clean up all your piping, water heating element, including showerheads and faucets.

The now unsaturated water will dissolve existing scale and remove it from the water system. Even deposits on the outside of the water system, such as around faucets and bathroom fixtures, will soften with regular contact with the treated water resulting in easier cleaning without the use of chemicals......"

cushioncrawler
09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Worryd about scale blocking your drainpipes??? Well all of your worrys are over when u buy and install an EezyDrain unit. Scale layers will be softened, and will disappear to the kerb.
mac.

Worryd about scale blocking your kerb&channelling. Well all of your worrys are over when u buy and install a KerbWatcher unit.
mac.

Stretch
09-18-2011, 06:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worryd about scale blocking your drainpipes??? Well all of your worrys are over when u buy and install an EezyDrain unit. Scale layers will be softened, and will disappear to the kerb.
mac.

Worryd about scale blocking your kerb&channelling. Well all of your worrys are over when u buy and install a KerbWatcher unit.
mac. </div></div>

Everyone wants to sell you a better mouse trap. St.

Soflasnapper
09-18-2011, 07:14 PM
But assuming a metal pipe of some sort, it should shield the interior from induced fields as per the Faraday cage effect.

(Or so the tractor bulletin board website mentioned!)

Assuming a PVC type input pipe, other calculations showed that there would need to be a much reduced volume throughput, plus far more length of coil, to get much effect.

As your question implies: If this is accurate, can 2 inches of wrapped pipe really keep flowing water in an electric field long enough to create "aragonite" crystals? Hmmm.....]

Or, could 'seeding' of some small portion yield a driving effect, where the other molecules line up with this smallish fraction?

Odd, and I think as I said, perhaps you need a new paradigm along the lines of polywater, or Ice 9, to get any kind of even theoretical framework?

Sev
09-19-2011, 05:29 AM
And then Pex came along... .

cushioncrawler
09-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Another study of a commercial magnetic water treatment device was conducted by Hasson and Bramson (1985). Under the technical supervision of the device supplier, they tested the device to determine its ability to prevent the accumulation of calcium carbonate scale in a pipe. Very hard water (300 to 340 ppm) was pumped through a cast-iron pipe, and the rate of scale accumulation inside the pipe was determined by periodically inspecting the pipe’s interior. Magnetic exposure was found to have no effect on either the rate of scale accumulation or on the adhesive nature of the scale deposits.

Consumer Reports magazine (Denver 1996) tested a $535 magnetic water treatment device from Descal-A-Matic Corporation. Two electric water heaters were installed in the home of one of the Consumer Reports staffers. The hard water (200 ppm) entering one of the heaters was first passed through the magnetic treatment device. The second water heater received untreated water. The water heaters were cut open after more than two years and after more than 10,000 gallons of water were heated by each heater. The tanks were found to contain the same quantity and texture of scale. Consumer Reports concluded that the Descal-A-Matic unit was ineffective.

cushioncrawler
09-19-2011, 07:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But assuming a metal pipe of some sort, it should shield the interior from induced fields as per the Faraday cage effect...</div></div>It would appear that copper acts like plastik pipe koz it iznt ferro or ferra.
mac.

LWW
09-19-2011, 09:18 AM
But is it fair, fare, Farah, Farrah, fairer or fairest?

cushioncrawler
09-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I shood hav sayd ferromagnetik or ferrimagnetik.
But i googled electrostatik and electromagnetik effekts on faraday cage type situations relating to metallik type containers eg pipes and i koodnt understand any of it.

Apparantly statik magnets and square waves etc do funny/different things. But all of this still leads in the same direktion, EezyMoney iz bullshit. What happens iz that in the long run your kids will havta unload lots of calciumcarbonate. At prezent theusofa haz left over 12 trillion tons of calciumcarbonate to the kids.

But it gets worse. The kids will havta unload the interest on that. SalesWatch say that even if we do nothing, calciumcarbonates will accrue in pipelines at the fed at between 1% and praps even 10% per annum in some years.
And if u try to truck some of that away with a Fiat it wont do any good in the long run.
Thats why most jews are putting their trust in gold pipes.
mac.