PDA

View Full Version : Buying a table

JJFSTAR
09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
So a guy I know is looking for an 8ft table and wants to spend about 1,000 suggestions?

Rich R.
09-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd recommend that he watch the used table market. Some very good deals come around.
I have an 8' Brunswick that I paid less than $2K for and it was brand new at the time. It has 1" thick slate and plays well. If someone were selling one on the used market, I'm sure it would be well under $1K. Of course, if he buys any used table he has to include the price of moving and recovering it.
I really don't think anyone is making a good quality table that sells new for $1K.

Tony_in_MD
09-22-2011, 04:59 AM
I agree with Rich. Look in the used market via Craigs List in your area. There are always great deals to be had.

Tables are like cars, I never buy one new, let the first owner take the big depreciation hit.

Bambu
09-22-2011, 07:32 AM
If available, consider a reconditioned table from a brunswick dealer. Factor in the price of moving a used table, new balls, new cloth and install, etc....and it might not even be any more money. You also get someone to complain to if theres a problem, and the table looks close to new when you get it.

Sid_Vicious
09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I know a table mechanic who literally gave away some fine equipment due to hard times. When I say gave, the purchace on one 9-footer as an example, included mew Simonas, table moved, and setup...end cost under $500. The mechanics and cloth cost about that much, even at a deal for only that! I also have a brother who's daughter(my niece) who was moving, and had a disassembled table in the basement from the home when she bought it. Pressure to sell,,,sold it for $200. Lots of deals if you look closely.

My personal home, old 1970s Brunswick table was a $1000 buy back in the early 90s. I and friends had to move it, and the blue cloth finally had to go in time, but I have gotten my money's worth out of it though. sid

09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with Rich. Look in the used market via Craigs List in your area. There are always great deals to be had.

Tables are like cars, I never buy one new, let the first owner take the big depreciation hit. </div></div>

+1.

This sums up my way of doing things.

Eric &gt;used Brunswick, used Infiniti

Legacy Billiards
09-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Getting a second hand or re-furbished Billiards table can save you lot of money and its worth spending some extra time just to find the table. Many billiard freaks have also found that its more cost effective to purchase a beat up, but very inexpensive table and then pay an expert craftsman to bring it up to par.
Also, you can look for clearance sale Billiard tables.

Karin
10-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Can please upload any pic of such table?