PDA

View Full Version : Dusting off the pool case

cheesemouse
09-21-2002, 05:59 AM
Well, I leaving the house in about two hours for the two hour drive that will deposit me at the tournament site. I haven't hit a competitive poolball since last spring when the snow melted and the golf season began. It seems the transition to the really hard white ball has begun. I am hopelessly unprepared for pool but in the back of my mind I still think I can win; isn't the mind of a pool player a strange piece of work...LOL LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I'm getting excited at the prospect of the juices that will flow when the guy flips the coin in the air and I say "HEADS" then walk to the break end of the table win or loose just to see if the guy is paying attention...Heheheheh...after all the guy/gal that wins the flip has the choice to break or not, right???
I always enjoy that first event after 5 or 6 months of not being around the sub-culture of pool and the great fun and excitement that pool players generate when they come together. It's like a gathering of the tribe.
This is a new poolhall in the town of S/Falls in the Dakotas. One of owners called me the other day and asked if I was coming. I wasn't but now I am, at the last minute. He said they have four new Gabrials(sp) and I am curious to see how they play, I've heard they are a great table. My Basset Hound isn't going to be happy, me leaving him here in the house all alone. I'll clean up the mess later /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
It's time for 'HARD BALL' and I love it~~~~~~~~~~even if I go two and out it will just give me free time to match-up~~~~~~life is good.

Ludba
09-21-2002, 06:40 AM
"I am hopelessly unprepared for pool but in the back of my mind I still think I can win; isn't the mind of a pool player a strange piece of work...LOL LOL "

You're right. We always think we can win no matter how much the evidence says otherwise, and when we lose, we think we could (or should) have won. This ego thing is self-defeating, and yet it keeps us playing.

I think it's a mental trap. The only way I've been able to get around it is to tell myself to play my best game and then estimate whether I did. Lately, I've been trying an even more objective method by keeping track of the percentages of shots I make during a sampling of games. I also keep track of percentages for an array of individual shots that I practice. Strangely enough, the overall percentage corresponds roughly to the percentage of games I win in leagues.

i think it's strange because that evidence runs counter to the claim by several authors that shape or position is more important than being able to make shots. Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Comments, anyone?

Kato
09-21-2002, 06:46 AM
The Cheese is back!!!!!!!!

Kato~~~needs to ride the cheese to win

Chris Cass
09-21-2002, 07:26 AM
Alright Cheese,

Pull that bad boy out and do some damage. I never shot on a Gabrial table either but I hear their sweet. I think Chris in NC has a bunch. I hope there not shimmed like his where your going. Only thinking of your first day back and all. One day Big Cheese you and I will meet and shoot the breeze for awhile. Don't over do it though. You'll ruin your action. LOLLOL

Regards,

C.C.~~I'm going to wear something yellow today for the Cheese. don't think I have something yellow though?

OnePocketChamp
09-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Win, lose or draw the inner excitement of the first rack and the thrill of the head to head competion is what it's all about. Have a great tournament and best wishes from a fellow ccb'er.

09-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Hi Cheese. Hey, i can type in my user name now! Ya, don't you just love the Charge of getting back into action again. I got a good taist of that myself last week. Just got invited to play in a BCA league, very strong. It's a great team and it's set up so that out of the 6 teams in the league 3 will get the trip to Vegas. It's fairly pricey at 20 bucks for 5 games and you DON'T want to do anything stupid or your toast lol. Just the way i like it anyway but it was fun and especialy that first game, i was actualy shaking a bit! I guess the added presure of being on a new team and wanting to at least make a favourable impression and all. Long story short, managed to win 4 out of 5, the team squeeked out the victory after haveing lost the first two rounds, it was a great night out and haveing seen the talent on the team and appraising the compatition i'm optomistic about Vegas!

I'm really stoked for this winter for another reason too. I'll be playing in a lot more big ranking tournament in the City. That and being on a kick-A$$ bca league will really get me going. Should be a good year, i could use one LOL St

Tom_In_Cincy
09-21-2002, 12:40 PM
From the fairway to the greens, to the table and then the pockets.

Best of luck, and I hope you play better than you expect.

CheeseMouse is BACK