PDA

View Full Version : Still Looking for an Acceptable Candidate

llotter
09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I was hoping to be able to support Perry but his instate tuition for illegals because he has a 'heart' sounds too much like GW to ever get my vote. I think that comment will definitely cost him dearly in the polls to Bachmann's benefit. I like Bachmann's philosophical positions but she doesn't seem to have the forcefulness that is required.

Soflasnapper
09-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Don't give up on Perry because of that! (Although I advocate you DO give up on Perry anyway.)

I'm thinking the in-state tuition was set before he got there. And the governor has very little influence over the legislature in Texas, as just about the weakest governor's office in the land.

I'm not at all sure Perry could have done anything had he wanted to, and perhaps by supposedly 'endorsing' this he is rather making a virtue of necessity, or pandering politician-like to the Latino vote (which is embarrassing once outside the state, of course).

Soflasnapper
09-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Here's (http://www.redstate.com/tex_whitley/) a defense of that policy from the Redstate blog site.

Among the defenses is that an '82 SCOTUS decision makes it hard to do differently. Another defense is that in '01 when this law passed, it was only opposed by 4 votes in the Texas leg.

I only mention it in passing for your consideration.