PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to It's George & case suggestion

09-21-2002, 12:45 PM
So, whatever happened to It's George? Does anyone have the details?

Also, I'm looking for a nice leather case for my break/jump cue, something other than Porper or those big, gaudy tooled ones. Something like the old It's George with lamb's wool inside the PVC tubing would be perfect. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

Tom_In_Cincy
09-21-2002, 12:49 PM
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cases/george/its_george_cases.htm

No reasons given on why "Its George" is no longer in business.

I personally like the Instroke case line.

09-21-2002, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fightingbob:</font><hr> So, whatever happened to It's George? Does anyone have the details?

Also, I'm looking for a nice leather case for my break/jump cue, something other than Porper or those big, gaudy tooled ones. Something like the old It's George with lamb's wool inside the PVC tubing would be perfect. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob <hr></blockquote>

How about a Whitten? Sleek modern lines and good construction.

BLACKHEART
09-21-2002, 06:30 PM
As I understand it,A cuemaker(Bill Stroud I was told),was paid to train a group of people to make the "It's George" pool Qs. After a period of a couple of years they had all gotten pissed &amp; quit. Stroud came in &amp; trained another group, who quit over a short time. That was the end of the Q making business. I believe he still makes some cases by himself...JER

09-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Post deleted by Jim Price

Pizza Bob
09-22-2002, 06:55 AM
Jim:

You got it right! In Bill Shick's shop, but not necessarily by Bill Shick. He had an apprentice that worked for him and then left him. It was he (sorry, his name escapes me now - guess he's already had his 15 minutes) that did the It's George cues.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

09-22-2002, 07:37 AM
Amen. I picked up a Whitten about a month ago, and have found it to be the best and most functional cue case I have ever owned.

BLACKHEART
09-22-2002, 08:09 AM
I think you are right. I got my "BILLS" mixed up. It was Schick &amp; not Stroud...JER

Vicki
09-22-2002, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CueBald:</font><hr> Amen. I picked up a Whitten about a month ago, and have found it to be the best and most functional cue case I have ever owned. <hr></blockquote>

I'll echo that sentiment. I've had my Whitten for about a year now and I LOVE it. Very classy looking... no tooling. Just sleek and simple. The newer ones are not so heavy as they have a reputation for being and the shoulder strap is so comfortable that you could add another 20 pounds without noticing it. They are not expensive relative to some other custom brands. My previous case was a George and the one before that was a George. I like the Whitten better. You can still get George cases from dealers. Not a bad idea if you want to collect. The value is sure to improve.

Vicki

09-22-2002, 11:45 PM
To all of you who own Whittens, thanks for your recommendation. I must say they look very attractive; just what I'm looking for. I have a few questions about them, like whether they are airtight like an Its George and what the PVC tubes are lined with, so I e-mailed Mr. Whitten. Anyway, I'll probably be ordering one, like that very attractive cognac model with the sundance trim. Classy!

Bob