PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Has Died!!!

Sev
10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Truly a sad moment.
He succumbed to the cancer he had long battled

Rest in peace Mr. Jobs.

Thank you for all you have done.

eg8r
10-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Very sad indeed. I never deified the guy like macboys are known to do but I also fully recognize the impact he made on that company (and many others) and on millions of people who buy their products. My dream job when getting out of college was working as an OpenGL coder for Pixar and working for Steve Jobs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r <~~~turned to defense instead

Gayle in MD
10-06-2011, 01:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Truly a sad moment.
He succumbed to the cancer he had long battled

Rest in peace Mr. Jobs.

Thank you for all you have done. </div></div>

Agree, He was an American Treasure, So sad.

G.

Qtec
10-06-2011, 02:18 AM
The guy had vision. A rare quality. He will be missed.

Just shows you, you can't have it all.

Q.

Qtec
10-06-2011, 02:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dream job when getting out of college was working as an OpenGL coder for Pixar </div></div>

Somebody with your views working for Disney?

Q

Gayle in MD
10-06-2011, 07:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dream job when getting out of college was working as an OpenGL coder for Pixar </div></div>

Somebody with your views working for Disney?

Q </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

eg8r
10-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Well they weren't Disney at the time but yes, if my dream job had worked out I guess that is what would have happened.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
An amazing productive life cut too short, even as he gained a lot of borrowed time after his liver transplant.

He didn't bat 1.000 (thinking of his nEXT computer line foray when he was away from Apple for a time, or the little handwriting reading Newton PDA that didn't catch on), but he hit a lot of grand slam home runs.

Very few people re-revolutionize modern life so often. He wasn't a god, but he was a visionary, and a lot of overpriced hardware was sold on a wow factor, superior software, and sleek industrial designs.

RIP, Mr. Jobs.

eg8r
10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and a lot of overpriced hardware was sold on a wow factor, superior software, and sleek industrial designs.
</div></div>And this was part of his vision...he wasn't selling hardware per se. It is hard to explain but there is a quote out there relating to this but I can't remember it off the top of my head. He wanted to you to buy in to the "experience" that was Apple. It was cool when I got my first iPod (3rd gen) and no one really knew what it was and then a few years later everyone was getting one. There were and are many companies with MP3 players that were/are seriously cheaper in cost but they never caught on because the experience was not the same.

eg8r

sack316
10-06-2011, 11:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and a lot of overpriced hardware was sold on a wow factor, superior software, and sleek industrial designs.
</div></div>And this was part of his vision...he wasn't selling hardware per se. It is hard to explain but there is a quote out there relating to this but I can't remember it off the top of my head. He wanted to you to buy in to the "experience" that was Apple. It was cool when I got my first iPod (3rd gen) and no one really knew what it was and then a few years later everyone was getting one. There were and are many companies with MP3 players that were/are seriously cheaper in cost but they never caught on because the experience was not the same.

eg8r </div></div>

Well put Ed. I never bought into the whole Apple products stuff mostly because of price (however, had I been into graphic design or video editing I then would have) my last Apple product was the good ol' Apple IIe /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

But Jobs did great on selling the products as a lifestyle, an experience, and an image. For quite some time we could get on napster, morpheus, Kazaa, or any number of P2P networks, download music and put them on any number of MP3 players for little or no cost. Somehow, EVERYONE just HAD to have an Ipod instead. And that's just one of many examples of his product and marketing ingenuity. A truly amazing man!

Sack

Soflasnapper
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I never bought into the whole Apple products stuff mostly because of price

Memories flash back to the Apple external 1x speed CD-ROM drive, $1,250 in about '85. (To be fair, even the audio-only cd players came at a $1,000+ retail price when first available. I heard one demo'd at the Kool Jazz Festival in NYC, and it sounded good, but at the price, I decided to stick with vinyl and Dolbyized cassette decks.) A VERY pricy unit, but being able to access multiple 600 MB data sources? Priceless at the time, for me (and no alternatives available on the PC side at all, iirc).

Same with the LaserWriters, using Adobe's Postcript page description patented protocol. VERY expensive (then lacking much competition), but actually, worth it, if you wanted that level of near-professional for the day 300 dpi output.

sack316
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never bought into the whole Apple products stuff mostly because of price

Memories flash back to the Apple external 1x speed CD-ROM drive, $1,250 in about '85. (To be fair, even the audio-only cd players came at a $1,000+ retail price when first available. I heard one demo'd at the Kool Jazz Festival in NYC, and it sounded good, but at the price, I decided to stick with vinyl and Dolbyized cassette decks.) A VERY pricy unit, but being able to access multiple 600 MB data sources? Priceless at the time, for me (and no alternatives available on the PC side at all, iirc).

Same with the LaserWriters, using Adobe's Postcript page description patented protocol. VERY expensive (then lacking much competition), but actually, worth it, if you wanted that level of near-professional for the day 300 dpi output. </div></div>

Ah yes memories! As with most electronics, it all comes down to needs. Had I ever been big into graphic design, CAD programs, video editing, etc I'd have been a Mac guy hands down all these years. But for my needs, I'm fine with a cheaper PC with a few tweaks and mods of my own to do the job /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack