PDA

View Full Version : Case scenario question!

CarolNYC
09-22-2002, 06:05 AM
I read an article with the following scenario:
The 5-ball is on bottom rail totally surrounded by the 6,7,8,9-Player A shoots the 4-ball and scratches-Player B has ball in hand and cannot hit the 5-ball-no way! Why would the article state Player A is now at the advantage and its tough luck for player B?I believe player B is at the advantage!
Carol

bluewolf
09-22-2002, 06:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> I read an article with the following scenario:
The 5-ball is on bottom rail totally surrounded by the 6,7,8,9-Player A shoots the 4-ball and scratches-Player B has ball in hand and cannot hit the 5-ball-no way! Why would the article state Player A is now at the advantage and its tough luck for player B?I believe player B is at the advantage!
Carol <hr></blockquote>

this is a very intriguing scenario, carol. as an apa 2 and even worse nine ball player, i see only three options for player b.

1)jump over one of the balls to get a legal hit on the five and maybe pocketing one of the other balls if b is REALLY good

2)hit one of the other balls into the five,doing an illegal hit,but breaking up the 5 somewhat,giving the player a ball in hand

3)give player a ball in hand

as a complete beginner, i would love to hear what our expert players here would say on this one.LOL

bw

Amanda
09-22-2002, 06:53 AM
I agree with you Carol, I would say player B is at the advantage, simply giving ball in hand back to A would put player A on 2 fouls. Even if player A broke them out for their second foul, player B would have the change to either player another safe to 3 foul player A or if they are broken out enough for a shot on the 5, just go for the run out.
Anyone else have a clue why player A is in charge here? I really don't see it that way at all.
Amanda

cuechick
09-22-2002, 07:07 AM
I agree with Amanda, giving player A ball in hand seems like the key move. Like taking a foul in Straight pool when your opponant is already on 1. I beleive Barbara described this almost exact senario, she was player B and won...
Carol, I think it was a misprint....

bluewolf
09-22-2002, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr> I agree with you Carol, I would say player B is at the advantage, simply giving ball in hand back to A would put player A on 2 fouls. Even if player A broke them out for their second foul, player B would have the change to either player another safe to 3 foul player A or if they are broken out enough for a shot on the 5, just go for the run out.
Anyone else have a clue why player A is in charge here? I really don't see it that way at all.
Amanda <hr></blockquote>

WOW. what an education. i dont know anything about cumulative fouls.so this is another strategie all together?
thanks for the knowlege!!!!

bw

Amanda
09-22-2002, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr>

WOW. what an education. i dont know anything about cumulative fouls.so this is another strategie all together?

bw <hr></blockquote>

Texas Express is what I play almost exclusively. You can read up on the rules at http://www.billiardsdepot.com/texexp/rules_sec1.htm I know a fair number of people play APA 9 ball rules which has some differences in the rules as well as the scoring. However when playing in tournaments you'll find that most of them use the Texas Express rules.
Amanda

Rich R.
09-22-2002, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> WOW. what an education. i dont know anything about cumulative fouls.so this is another strategie all together?

bw <hr></blockquote>

Don't get too carried away Bluewolf. The APA DOES NOT have a three fould rule.
Rich R.

Mike H
09-22-2002, 07:40 AM
I haven't seen the diagram in question, and I sure wouldn't like to be player A in this situation, but here's something that might be to A's advantage: When given ball in hand, A nudges one or perhaps two of the impeding balls out of the way in such a way that leaves a good hit but no safety opportunity. Otherwise, A is really stuck.

Chris Cass
09-22-2002, 07:55 AM
Hi Carol,

I believe unless your playing the 3 foul rule. I'm thinking it simply means although player B has the ball, Player A, still has control. JMO and another way of seeing it. Control is the key to any game right? Regardless who has the cb. It could be a miss print also that has been suggested. Usually, I'd have to go with you Carol, but can't see the shot to really say./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~loves safety play.

Barbara
09-22-2002, 09:50 AM
Carol,

If Player A scratches on the 4 ball and is on one foul, then Player B can intentionally foul and will be one foul behind Player A. Then it's up to Player A to blast the pack since A will foul out on 3 if he/she doesn't and Player B takes another intentional foul.

Barbara~~~has used this strategy in the past...

Tom_In_Cincy
09-22-2002, 10:50 AM
This is the set up.. you have ball in hand.. Your opponent just fouled making the 4 ball..

START(
%Er3I9%Fr7K5%Gq0I5%Hr6H6%Iq1K0%Pi0I8

)END

CarolNYC
09-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Hey Amanda,
How are you? Absolutely-hand it right back to player "A"-if the fouls go back and forth, "A" reaches 3 fouls first-the title of the article is "Scratching for relief" in Sept. issue of Billiard digest-now, there have been some times I've definitely,purposely scratched, but I feel this is one time I wouldnt! It doesnt show where the 4-ball was, but whereever it was, I wouldnt pocket it and wouldnt scratch!If I couldnt make the 4-ball and break out the cluster, I'd bring it down as close to the cluster as I could ,making "B" hit it and break cluster up!So, player "B" had the advantage-thanks for your opinion!I thought I was reading something weird!
Have great day!
Carol

CarolNYC
09-22-2002, 01:20 PM
Hey Chris,
Its in Sept. Billiard Digest-check it out!
"Scratching for relief" and Chris, it also states a very funny comment player "B" may make-"this is unfair,player "A" is in better shape,I should get to move a ball out of the way!" Yeah,right,ha ha ha ha
Now ,Tom,Barb,cuechick,Rich,Mike, what would you do if a player said that to you?LMAO
Stay well all!
Carol

Tom_In_Cincy
09-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Carol,
I would immediately start to laugh..

No doubt player B is un-aware of the 3 foul rule.. and is just a whiner..

CarolNYC
09-22-2002, 02:08 PM
Yep,Barb,
I have another question for you-when we were playing the tristate qualifier,Im up on my opponent 5-1, I play a safe,she misses,I have BIH-Im going for the 5-ball and out-its an open table-I put the cueball down and get ready to shoot,when drops of "tea" come splashing across the table right infront of my shot-unbeknownst to me, my opponent was waving her "tea" glass at her husband to get his attention to get her another!The tea splattered on the table- Now the table is wet-whats the call?(I know, you could imagine the look I gave her,ha ha ha ha!)Shes lucky she wasnt playing Mana!ha ha ha ha ha
Carol~wondering about the sharking technique of "tea-splashing"ha ha ha

CarolNYC
09-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey Tom, Now you have me "immediately laughing"-
Awww,cm'on, cant I move the ball!ha ha ha ha-too funny!
You stay well!:)
Carol

CarolNYC
09-22-2002, 02:14 PM
Hey Tom, I do not know how to use this-when you get a chance-please private message me ,if, it can be explained!
Thank you!
Carol

Chris Cass
09-23-2002, 08:08 AM
You could slam them then go into prayer. LOL

C.C.

Fred Agnir
09-23-2002, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> I read an article with the following scenario:
Carol <hr></blockquote>

As others have pointed out, Player A would only have any semblance of an advantage if there is no 3-foul rule. Otherwise, if BCA rules are in effect, Player A is "on one."

Fred

Barbara
09-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Hmmm... that's a tough one Carol. I've never come across that situation, so I'd go with that she would have to buy a round for you!

Barbara~~~and the TD (me!)...

Tom_In_Cincy
09-23-2002, 12:27 PM
come on Barbara.. this is an easy one..

Play the game over on another table.. one that has less tea on it..

CarolNYC
09-24-2002, 04:06 AM
Wow Chris,
You know me too well! The rule was, finish out the game and you have the option to move to another table,as Tom stated!So,I looked at her and said(as politely as I could)"Just sit there!' finished out the game,stayed on the SAME table and SLAMMED her into the losers bracket 7-1-she didnt have to buy me a round,Barb,I gave her the extra ROUND to play.-BUT,she played her next opponent and in the middle of taking a shot,she throws her stick down to take a break,WELL,her opponent wasnt too nice and I DID pray for her,ha ha ha ha-
Carol~knows CC is my soulmate!:)

CarolNYC
09-24-2002, 06:04 AM
Hey Barb,
Come to think of it, being that we have the 2x ringing of the cellphone rule,shouldnt there be rule stating something like,"if a player changes the physical conditions of the table(in this circumstance,by wetting it),whether intentionally or unintentionally,shouldnt they be penalized somehow?"What if there WASNT another available table?
Carol