PDA

View Full Version : SIGN HERE to Get The Money OUT Of Politics!

Gayle in MD
10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Sign here...

http://www.getmoneyout.com/?recruiter_id=151029

LWW
10-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Hmmmm ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We couldn't find the page you were looking for.
You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved. </div></div>

Anyway, would you agree that a good start would be to remove Chinese and Arab money ... such as that which financed Clinton and Obama?

Soflasnapper
10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Saw Carter the other day mention that the grand sum raised and spent by him and his major party opponents, Ford in '76, and Reagan in '80, was ZERO.

Not that they didn't spend anything, but they raised nothing, relying on the tax return checkoff monies raised publicly.

Using the most recent figures I remember, that practice, if restored today, would give both presidential efforts about $85 million.

Problem: it was Obama who eschewed the public financing technique, in favor of raising something like $600 million dollars, after having claimed he was in favor of public financing. It is also Obama who now targets raising $1 billion in total for his campaign. Such sums totally dwarf the amount available in current campaign financing by tax return checkoff (if that is even still being done, not sure).

And what is a further problem is that unlimited money that corporations used to be able to give to the national parties has been augmented by now an unlimited amount of money they can spend directly on such campaigns. This applies to both domestic and foreign-based corporations.

BTW, Gingrich's '94 takeover of the House used Chinese money to get their last minute $2 to $3 million dollars to put into the top 20 closest House races, money that saw them take about 18 of those top 20 closest races, which put the GOP majority in place to begin with.

Gayle in MD
10-09-2011, 02:02 PM
A lot of things would have to change, but it would be a step in the right direction.

There are things that Congress could do about the Supreme Court's decision, to offset some of the damage.

The S.C. finding should be overturned, IMO.

G.

LWW
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem: it was Obama who eschewed the public financing technique, in favor of raising something like $600 million dollars, after having claimed he was in favor of public financing. It is also Obama who now targets raising $1 billion in total for his campaign. Such sums totally dwarf the amount available in current campaign financing by tax return checkoff (if that is even still being done, not sure).</div></div>

I'm actually heartened to hear a leftist admit that, but as I have learned to expect ... there is always the equivalency argument:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, Gingrich's '94 takeover of the House used Chinese money to get their last minute $2 to $3 million dollars to put into the top 20 closest House races, money that saw them take about 18 of those top 20 closest races, which put the GOP majority in place to begin with. </div></div>

1 - I've never heard of this Chinese money to Gingrich before.

2 - It's pretty unbelievable just on the face of it.

3 - Oddly ... you offer no documentation to back it up? Smells mike another Orville Reddenbacher and the magic airplane story ti me.

4 - If Gingrich did this, which I doubt in the extreme, then it was also wrong.

5 - Charlie Trie.

6 - Johnny Chung.

7 - John Huang.

8 - James Riady.

9 - Maria Hsia.

10 - Ted Sioeng.

11 - Norman Hsu.

12 - LORAL.

ugotda7
10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sign here...

</div></div>

Guess which president has got the most money out of Wall Street in the last generation?

What an ignorant hypocrite you are.

LWW
10-10-2011, 02:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugotda7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sign here...

</div></div>

Guess which president has got the most money out of Wall Street in the last generation?

</div></div>I'll take R ... S ... B ... M and N ... and for the vowel I'll take A.

B - A - R - A - ? - ?

H - ? - S - S - ? - ? - N

? - B - A - M - A

How much time do I get?

Soflasnapper
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Note, the actual money part of this was handled by Haley Barbour, then-RNC Chairman (not Gingrich himself, per se, as what I posted implied, although not directly stated)

INVESTIGATION OF ILLEGAL OR IMPROPER ACTIVITIES
IN CONNECTION WITH 1996 FEDERAL ELECTION CAMPAIGNS
FINAL REPORT of the COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS
SENATE Rept. 105-167 - 105th Congress 2d Session - March 10, 1998

link to the relevant Senate report, here (http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/1998_rpt/sgo-sir/4-3.htm)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Starting in 1993, Haley Barbour, the chairman of the RNC,
carried out a scheme to collect foreign money by channeling the
funds through the National Policy Forum, a tax-exempt
organization controlled by the RNC. The RNC did this by
arranging for a foreign businessman to put up collateral for a
bank loan to the NPF. Shortly after the NPF received the loan,
it transferred more than $2 million to the RNC which, in turn,
channeled the money into the 1994 congressional races around
the country. The NPF subsequently defaulted on the bank loan--
freeing up still more money for the RNC in 1996.
While the evidence shows that foreign money in this case
did not affect U.S. policy or the 1996 presidential election,
it does suggest that foreign money played an important role for
the RNC in the mid-term elections of 1994.

findings

(1) RNC Chairman Haley Barbour and the RNC intentionally
solicited foreign money for the NPF.
(2) The NPF was an arm of the RNC and, as the Internal
Revenue Service concluded, was not entitled to tax-exempt
status as a social welfare organization under section 501(c)(4)
of the U.S. tax code.
(3) Barbour solicited Ambrous Young, a foreign national,
and Young agreed to provide the collateral for a loan to NPF
for the purpose of helping Republican candidates during the
1994 elections.
(4) The evidence before the Committee strongly supports the
conclusion that Barbour and other RNC officials knew that the
money used to collateralize the NPF loan came from Hong Kong.
Barbour's testimony that he did not know about the foreign
source of the loan collateral was not credible.
(5) As a result of NPF's default on the loan, the RNC
improperly retained $800,000 in foreign money during the 1996
election cycle.
</div></div>

ugotda7
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugotda7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sign here...

</div></div>

</div></div>

Hey racist - what's the matter...cat got your tongue - no guesses?