PDA

View Full Version : dead rail

pooldaddy9
10-09-2011, 01:50 PM
How long should a rail last before going dead? I had new rails put on about five years ago and now the end rail has no bounce.If I replace it, should I replace them all since they were put on at the same time?

Tony_in_MD
10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Depends on the quality. Could be one month, could be 10 years. in this matter you truly get what you pay for. Cheap rails have consistancey problems and tend to go bad quickly.

You also need to look at how well the cushion is still glued to the subrail, see if you can move it much with your fingers, that could be the problem. You also should check your rail bolts every month, they can loosen up too.

A loose rail will have a different sound (more like a dull thud) then a tight rail.

Sid_Vicious
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
"You also should check your rail bolts every month, they can loosen up too."

If it is just one or two rails, definitely look at the bolts. sid

10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
In addition to checking the rail bolts, check to see if the featherstrips that hold the rail cloth has come loose. While loose cloth won't kill a rail, it does affect the play.

On another note, if you go to the Open again, this year, you should join us for the CCB thing...

Eric

pooldaddy9
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
thanks, I will be there but I think we are going to the Hall of Fame dinner. Will try to play.