PDA

View Full Version : I need a new cue.

09-22-2002, 10:15 PM
This is probably one of the most discussed topics, BUT I'm relatively new to pool and I have no idea about cues. I currently have a 20 or 21 oz Cuetec graphite (the Earl Strickland Edition) that I found somewhere. I want to get something similar in looks (all black), but higher quality. The names that are coming to mind are Schön, Predator, Lucasi, Joss, but these are just names to me. Please help.

Harold Acosta
09-22-2002, 10:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JChapman:</font><hr> This is probably one of the most discussed topics, BUT I'm relatively new to pool and I have no idea about cues. I currently have a 20 or 21 oz Cuetec graphite (the Earl Strickland Edition) that I found somewhere. I want to get something similar in looks (all black), but higher quality. The names that are coming to mind are Schön, Predator, Lucasi, Joss, but these are just names to me. Please help. <hr></blockquote>

Go to http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/

You'll probably find something else.

09-22-2002, 10:44 PM
J,
Here is a link to my site www.jipz.com (http://www.jipz.com) If you need any assistance in choosing a cue feel free to drop me an email.

Duke Mantee
09-23-2002, 05:30 AM
Greetings, J.

Several companies make cues with all-black or mostly black butts. Viking and McDermott offer good ones at moderate prices. These cues don't have black shafts, but they look sharp and play much better than the stick you have now, in my opinion.

D.M.

Doctor_D
09-23-2002, 06:47 AM
Good morning:

What is the price range you are looking to spend?

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
09-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Hi J.,

The advice I'd like to give you is. Depending how much your going to get into the sport and how much your wanting to invest is the real question.

I really would like to see you get a Lucasi. Staying away from the blk shaft. They're alot of cue for the money. The others you spoke of are more expensive cues and nothing wrong with that. It's the budget thing I was thinking of. If you plan on putting the cue away for the Summer then pulling it out in the Winter? Then, stay with the graphite cues. Easier to keep it straight.

JAT,

C.C.

Vicki
09-23-2002, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr>
Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/>http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/</a>

You'll probably find something else. <hr></blockquote>

I agree completely. Billiard Warehouse has or can get any kind of cue you want. They are the nicest people I've ever dealt with and will help you figure out what is the best cue for your budget. And they have cues for every budget. If you want a custom cue - or even an expensive production cue - and don't know what brand or cue maker you want then I recommend buying a used cue from a dealer who will take back a cue he sold you in trade toward a different cue. That way you can try several different cues if you get one you don't like. Good luck!

09-24-2002, 10:57 PM
At this point, Viking and Predator are looking the best for my price range. What do I do with the old cuetec?

Rod
09-24-2002, 11:07 PM
J, Use it as a break cue. Saves wear and tear on the new cue, especially the tip.

10-11-2002, 09:09 PM
I've done it. I bought a Viking VM30. It's a great cue so far. I left the cuetec with a cue technician here in the city so that he can drill into it and lighten the thing. It's also getting a new hard tip. I've been using the house cues to break and I am really loving the way that these cues flex. The cuetec is VERY rigid, I don't want to break it when I flex the shaft after a break. What should I do?

10-11-2002, 11:18 PM
I have a beautiful 6 point ebony Black Boar (including black leather wrap) with 2 shafts (ivory ferrules). Rarely used (not a scratch). However this cue is expensive and is probably more than you are looking for.

DTL

10-12-2002, 12:13 AM
How much do you want? And can you send me some pictures?

10-12-2002, 01:20 AM
You might as well just break with it. It may be stiff, but it's not going to snap in half from breaking with it. If someone wants to buy a cheap cue then sell it to them, meanwhile I'd put a decent tip on it and break with it (As long as you have room in your case for it).

10-15-2002, 02:21 PM
Not sure if your gonna read this but I'll take $1200 for the cue. I replied on your web site but haven't heard back yet.

Duke

jjinfla
10-17-2002, 06:00 AM
Lately I have been thinking about a new toy too. Now I have a 314 on a McDermott butt. The problem is that I like the 314 and am reluctant to give it up. So lately I have been considering visiting a friend of mine who has started making cues and just have him make a butt to match the 314. Jake

griffith_d
10-17-2002, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi J.,

The advice I'd like to give you is. Depending how much your going to get into the sport and how much your wanting to invest is the real question.

I really would like to see you get a Lucasi. Staying away from the blk shaft. They're alot of cue for the money. The others you spoke of are more expensive cues and nothing wrong with that. It's the budget thing I was thinking of. If you plan on putting the cue away for the Summer then pulling it out in the Winter? Then, stay with the graphite cues. Easier to keep it straight.

JAT,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

There is a product for moisture that is used for firearms and other things,..it is called "vapor paper" that block moisture, some is saturated and some unsaturated. For wood I would get the unsaturated, for metal products get the saturated.

http://www.masterwholesale.com/one/cat16.html

Griff