PDA

View Full Version : Is this a parallel universe? (quiz)

Soflasnapper
10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Interesting 20 question quiz here. (http://curiosity.discovery.com/topic/quantum-mechanics-theories-and-concepts/parallel-universe-theory-quiz.htm)

Disappointed that I only got 17 out of 20 correct (with some guessing that was correct, and incorrect on other questions).

Very intriguing that this is an angle on where all the 'missing' 'dark matter' might be-- in parallel universes, influencing gravitation and momentum numbers here.

cushioncrawler
10-16-2011, 04:36 PM
My score woz 11 out of 20.
But i am thinking that some questions hav a simple true answer, and some true but wrong anyhow. In other words i dont beleev most of that parallel universe stuff. Even Heisenberg stuff iz krapp. And time stuff iz krapp. And string theory iz krapp. Dimension stuff iz krapp.
mac.

Qtec
10-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I got 14! I must confess, I just recently saw a prog on Discovery on this very subject.

Q

Soflasnapper
10-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Well, I hear you, but the problem is that cosmology and astrophysics and that quantum physics and gravity haven't been harmonized are also crap, of a kind. Specifically, the physics laws that are agreed to (and appear quite certain) imply that we see the effects of SOMETHING that represents a missing 90% of matter (dark matter, so called).

So in the quest for the theory of everything, the Grand Unified Theory (GUT), they have been driven to these mathematical structures. 11 dimensions was just a bit too crazy, and it was discarded for a time for a 10 dimensional theory. Then the 10 dimensional theory yielded 4 variations that were equally valid, which is not what you want in a GUT. It was found that going back to the 11 dimensional version of the theory made all the previously discovered 4 variations subcategories of the main theory.

There is a bias in these fields for mathematical elegance in the models which has led to the 11 dimensional model's increasing acceptance.

cushioncrawler
10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Math iz over my head, but theze thorts kum to mind.

1. Dimensions are different things to different peeple. It iz ok to argue about what a dimension iz, but it iz probly futile to argue about how many.

2. There are only 3 dimensions.

3. Time iz not a proper dimension. Partly koz there iz no such thing az time.

4. Einstein iz/woz wrong.

5. Math duznt explain much. String theory iz math.

6. Things appear to be getting closer to reality. And that reality iz aether. Aether of course az with anything else raizes even larger questions -- so too string theory -- so too all theorys.
We only look for better answers so that we kan find better questions -- a never ending journey.

7. Just koz stuff exists that we karnt see or touch or smell or taste duznt make it a parallel universe. Universes are different things to different peeple. It iz ok to argue about what a universe iz, but probly futile to argue about how many.

8. Me myself, i think scale and velocity can create universes. I think u can hav a very small sort of universe, and a very large sort of universe -- all in 3 dimensions. And u kan hav universes that are mooving very fast in relation to each other, such that there iz allmost no interaction -- all in 3 dimensions (alltho the time aspekt of velocity might be an issue).
mac.

cushioncrawler
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
What iz a string.
What iz energy.
What iz matter.
What iz gravity.
What iz a force.
What iz time.
What iz aether.
What iz empty space.

I say there aint no such thing az energy, definitely, no possibility, duznt exist. Energy iz thusly like the so-called additional dimensions.

And no such thing az matter, matter iz an illusion, albeit a real illusion.

No such thing az time -- time iz an illusion, a real illusion.

Strings (of some sort, or something that acts a bit like strings, or duznt act like strings) and aether are probly the same thing.

That leevs us with forces -- forces are real -- but what and how.

And empty space -- that question iz too diffikult -- we will never know what empty space iz -- u are wasting time even thinking about it.
mac.