PDA

View Full Version : Soft Break Banned in US Open

jjinfla
10-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Not sure how they will call this one but the home page says velocity of the CB on the break is needed and it will not be a foul if 3 balls do not hit a rail. Confusing.

When one mentions a soft break in 9 ball one has to think of Corey Deuel since he is the master of the soft break. So is this rule aimed solely at him?

I have heard many players complain/cry that the soft break should be outlawed. Sounds like they got their way.

I suppose next they will be outlawing the soft break in straight pool, or one pocket.

Or let's go to the other extreme - outlaw the really hard break since it gives an advantage to the really strong players.

I see that Corey lost his first match at the Open.

Sid_Vicious
10-17-2011, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure how they will call this one but the home page says velocity of the CB on the break is needed and it will not be a foul if 3 balls do not hit a rail. Confusing.

When one mentions a soft break in 9 ball one has to think of Corey Deuel since he is the master of the soft break. So is this rule aimed solely at him?

I have heard many players complain/cry that the soft break should be outlawed. Sounds like they got their way.

I suppose next they will be outlawing the soft break in straight pool, or one pocket.

Or let's go to the other extreme - outlaw the really hard break since it gives an advantage to the really strong players.

I see that Corey lost his first match at the Open. </div></div>

Naw, this is all messed up. sid

Icon of Sin
10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Good thing and bad thing...

Good for the spectators because a hard break is way more entertaining.

Bad for the players who may feel soft breaking is more advantageous.

10-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Jake, it's been like that for years.

I believe the rule went into place after the 2001 US Open finals, when Corey soft broke to victory, beating Mika 11-0.

Eric

jjinfla
10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jake, it's been like that for years.

I believe the rule went into place after the 2001 US Open finals, when Corey soft broke to victory, beating Mika 11-0.

Eric </div></div>

Wow, that long ago?

Next you're going to tell me they are not using the Sardo rack.

Rich R.
10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jake, it's been like that for years.

Eric </div></div>

Wow, that long ago?

Next you're going to tell me they are not using the Sardo rack. </div></div>
IIRC, 3 or 4 balls have to go to or beyond the side pockets. At least that is how they have done it in some years. They seem to change the break rules every year.

IMHO, there is no rule requiring a player to hit any other shot hard or soft. Therefore, there shouldn't be any rule about how hard a break shot is hit.

JJFSTAR
10-18-2011, 08:09 AM
I have mixed feelings about what the rules should be, but I think simple reasoning should be able to figure it out for us. So many players have said “hey it isn’t fair that this guy is able to soft break, get a ball in every time and run out”. My answer to that one is “well isn’t that the whole point; to WITHIN the rules gain an advantage over your opponent?” If I practiced something that hones my skills so that I gain the advantage and someone else hasn’t; well tough luck, that’s life.

On the other hand if enough people deem this to be unfair who am I to say that THEY are wrong and I am right? The answer is I am nobody; for example I don’t personally think that a 9ball on the break should be a win. Most people think that it should be; that’s fine with me, I have to accept it.

It never made any sense to me that in 8ball it isn’t a win and that in 9ball it is. It also (to me) makes no sense that 9ball is not a call shot game. I personally think that it should adhere to the general rules. It should also include the “If it isn’t obvious” principle. How many people would agree with that? I can safely say NOT MANY.

What gets in the way of progress is differing views on life. People don’t use simple logic and reasoning to figure things out; they go with “what they feel”.

What I personally think doesn’t really matter all that much. Most people I play 9ball with don’t think you should have to call the 9. When I suggest that we play “Call the 9” I get flack. If our species went solely on “tradition” we would not be where we are today.

We are Americans so in the U.S. open majority should rule. If enough people have said that it should be that 4 balls have to hit a rail or go in, 3 balls have to pass the head string, 3 or 4 balls have to pass the side pocket, you have to call the 9, you don’t have to call anything etc. etc. then that’s the way it should be; and people should just accept it as “the majority has ruled” despite their differing opinion.

For most of us this is really hard to swallow, it was for me right up until the last couple of years of my life. In fact I put up a post here that was titled “Am I wrong?” Well I found out that I was. It still to this day does not make complete sense to me because what turned out to be “right” ultimately ended up in lost revenue for the league; but so be it, I am happier just playing on a team and not being a captain. I also put up a post that said “pros racing to 4?” I was quite mad about this and everyone on this board said “oh JJFSTAR your wrong, don’t be upset about it”. That also made no sense to me. 7 is too short how can 4 be anything but stupid? All I can say is that they never did it again.

Sometimes you just have to “Let go, let God”. I know, I know it’s really hard to do when we want to be right all the time.

Fran Crimi
10-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't think it's unusual or inconsistent to have rules specifically designed for breaking. The break isn't just any other shot. I haven't tried it but I would think that you can still break fairly mild on a new cloth and drive 3 balls past the side pocket.

In 14.1, you must hit the opening break hard enough for 2 object balls to hit the rail, otherwise it's a 2 point foul and the opponent has the option to request a rebreak. That's a rule specifically designed for a break and has nothing to do with the rest of the game.

10-18-2011, 10:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjinfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jake, it's been like that for years.

Eric </div></div>

Wow, that long ago?

Next you're going to tell me they are not using the Sardo rack. </div></div>

Not only did they stop using the Sardo, they aren't playing 14.1 at the US Open either!

Eric &gt;true story

DickLeonard
11-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Sid remember Imatation is the highest form of flattery. I posted about playing with Joe Canton in 1958, when he opened his room in Troy N.Y..

All he did was rain 100s on me, finally I started Mentally copying his stroke in my mind. Low and behold I started running 100s on him. It was then that I discovered that your body can't tell the difference. I called it hitchhiking then now I might have to ask Max if it all right to use that phrase. ####

Never watch a pool tape or match without assuming the player at the tables Identity.Dick

DickLeonard
11-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Dick I remember being at the Worlds Championship in Atlantic City. I think it was Mike Sigel's first tourney.

I was telling him if you watch the players when things start going bad they lose their body rythymn.

It is just like dancing, you must have a routine to follow. It is better to dance to the music of your body. One,two,three then rock,four,five,six then roll.

Watch Louie Butera's 150 and out on Irving Crane in 22 minutes.####

8FV
11-11-2011, 06:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch Louie Butera's 150 and out on Irving Crane in 22 minutes.#### </div></div>

Is this particular match online to view? I did a quick youtube search and came up with nothing.

Rich R.
11-12-2011, 08:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8FV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch Louie Butera's 150 and out on Irving Crane in 22 minutes.#### </div></div>

Is this particular match online to view? I did a quick youtube search and came up with nothing. </div></div>
I may be wrong but I think the match Dick may be referring to is actually a 1973 match between Butera and Alan Hopkins in which Lou ran 150 and out in 21 minutes.

Also in 1973, Lou defeated Irving Crane in the finals to win the World Championship.

I have no knowledge of either of these matches being on You Tube. I hope they are. Please let me know if you find either of them.

DickLeonard
11-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Rich R. I think that is before the matches being taped. I played Lou in the 1970s and within 15 minutes I was 93 down. I always felt that the Refs catered to Louies style of play.

If your going to rack his balls in ten seconds, rack mine in the same ten seconds. I always remember the ref in Luther Lassister calling a foul on Luther playing safe behind the rack. Everyone in the audience booed the refs bad call. He had to dhange his call.

It seemed the Ref had bet against Luther. He was just trying to cinch his bet.####

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are Americans so in the U.S. open majority should rule. </div></div>
If you go by majority rule, what is there to protect legitimate minority interests? What if the majority could just railroad the minority in any unfair, even immoral way?

LoneWolf
08-24-2012, 02:20 AM
@DickLeonard: Isn't what your referring to confidence? They were not confident. In my opinion rhythym is a byproduct of confidence.

I just don't understand why people say get in a rhythym. If a person doesn't believe they are gonna shoot well they won't. Or if they don't know how they won't either.

When I'm confident my body has a natural rhythym to my movements.