PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open matchups!!

Warren_Lushia
09-23-2002, 12:51 AM
the brackets are up at azbilliards, and here is my pick for an early round matchup to watch for!!

amar kang vs. larry nevel !!

then the winner gets to face shannon daulton ! then the winner of THAT match likely will face alex pagulayan !!

YOUR turn, gimme your matchup to watch for !!

warren..<-- has larry nevel on his fantasy9ball team, OF COURSE!! glad its double elimination this time /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-23-2002, 02:36 AM
Charlie Bryant vs. Rodney Morris and Buddy Hall vs. Keith McCready (sp)

Kato
09-23-2002, 06:13 AM
Brady Berhman vs. Bye. I don't know who this "Bye" guy is but I'm sure he's tough!!!!!!!!!

Kato

Lester
09-23-2002, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Brady Berhman vs. Bye. I don't know who this "Bye" guy is but I'm sure he's tough!!!!!!!!!

Kato <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Kato, "Bye" is afraid of me, everytime I draw him in a tournament ---- he forfeits. I gotta tell you, it's tough when your reputation preceeds you. lol ***Lester***

09-23-2002, 06:35 AM
Being patriotic I chose John Horsfall, newly crowned Canadian nine ball champ. So who is his first match ??-- King Cory. The last time a Canadian Champ went up against an American Titleholder was about 20 years ago with George Chuvalo taking on Ali in Toronto. Chuvalo did a great impression of a punching bag for twelve rounds. I felt that punching bags probably had better latteral movement than George. Thanks for the second round.

Kato
09-23-2002, 08:14 AM
I played in a tournament last night. I'm sitting on my duff cooling my jets sipping a brewsky because my opponent is late. She walks in, we flip and I snap the 9 in on the break. The TD walks up to me and says, "Sorry R.J., you get a bye". HUH??????? Then I simply walked over to my beer and kicked "Bye's" A$$.

Kato~~~~can't wait until the scores from that little tourny in Virginia start rolling in. 9 ball heaven, right around the corner.

Troy
09-23-2002, 09:02 AM
I will be watching Tony Annigoni, Amar Kang and Tony Chohan. All three from Nor Cal.

Troy

Kato
09-23-2002, 09:43 AM
Hopefully I will be able to watch Stalev, Coltrain, Earl, Archer, Cory and Watson. I also hope Steve Lipsky is still in it. I'll sweat his matches. We'll see.

Kato~~~my vacation starts in 24 1/2 hours.

Cueless Joey
09-23-2002, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Hopefully I will be able to watch Stalev, Coltrain, Earl, Archer, Cory and Watson. I also hope Steve Lipsky is still in it. I'll sweat his matches. We'll see.

Kato~~~my vacation starts in 24 1/2 hours. <hr></blockquote>
Get a camcorder and tape Stalev. He makes for great entertainment. He pulls shots from Mars just like Efren.

09-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Watch out for this kid. I wouldn't be surprise if he gets in the semi's or finals.

Harold Acosta
09-23-2002, 08:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Warren_Lushia:</font><hr> the brackets are up at azbilliards, and here is my pick for an early round matchup to watch for!!

amar kang vs. larry nevel !!

then the winner gets to face shannon daulton ! then the winner of THAT match likely will face alex pagulayan !!

YOUR turn, gimme your matchup to watch for !!

warren..&lt;-- has larry nevel on his fantasy9ball team, OF COURSE!! glad its double elimination this time /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

[b]The Final:

<font color=blue>Rodney Morris vs Earl Strickland.........

<font color=red>........and the winner is:

<font color=green>[i] Rodney Morris!

Kato
09-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Lester, true to form, you called it. Brady defeated "Bye". He's on his way!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve Lipsky with the first round victory, Way to go Steve!!!!!!!!

Kato

09-23-2002, 09:49 PM
Got that right. Ronnie Alcano vs Keith McCready should be a good first round match up. I predict Keith doing the talking and Ronnie doing the playing...

Vicki
09-23-2002, 10:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Hopefully I will be able to watch Stalev, Coltrain, Earl, Archer, Cory and Watson. I also hope Steve Lipsky is still in it. I'll sweat his matches. We'll see.

Kato~~~my vacation starts in 24 1/2 hours. <hr></blockquote>

I'm predicting Stalev to win it.

Chris Cass
09-23-2002, 11:18 PM
Hi Warren,

I've beaten Larry in a 9ball tourney quite awhile back boy does he get hot. I resently played him in E. Moline and had him 3-0 in a race to 5 and I ended up losing hill hill. He did smash the butt end of his cue on the ground. LOL

Anyway, he's got a good chance here. His break is strong and he can play some for sure. If he holds it togather? I myself am hoping Steve Lipski does something in the event. That's who I am pulling for.

Regards,

C.C.

09-23-2002, 11:33 PM
Ronnie Alcano defeated Keith McCready 11-5. Larry Nevel d. Amar Kang 11-9, Joey Korsiak d. Howard Vickery 11-10, Rodney Morris d. Charlie Bryant 11-7. Buddy Hall won his opening match, while Grady Mathews, Jim Rempe and Nick Varner all lost their opening matches. Surprisingly, I counted AT LEAST five forfeits on opening day. What's up with that ?

Warren_Lushia
09-24-2002, 03:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Warren,

I've beaten Larry in a 9ball tourney quite awhile back boy does he get hot. I resently played him in E. Moline and had him 3-0 in a race to 5 and I ended up losing hill hill. He did smash the butt end of his cue on the ground. LOL

Anyway, he's got a good chance here. His break is strong and he can play some for sure. If he holds it togather? I myself am hoping Steve Lipski does something in the event. That's who I am pulling for.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

hey chris, if you can beat nevel, you are WAY WAY outta my league!! i gotta say though he did get one of the toughest draws don't you think ?! the funny thing for me about nevel was, i always thought (from pictures) that he was this huge pro-wrestler type person. then when i saw him in lexington standing next to me he is like 3 or 4 inches shorter! (i'm about 6' tall) he is a great and somewhat lesser known player, but facing daulton and pagulayan will be a difficult task! he could do it though.

i always root for newsgroup folks, steve lipsky is at the top! steve used to be a regular at RSB before the CCB, and there are several players from both there. steve already has one victory under his belt /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

btw, if you are playing in the BCA event next year in vegas, i have a list of players to watch for i will pm you. one of them may win it. the one i think has the best chance could also beat bobby pickle straight up at 9 ball! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

warren..

Warren_Lushia
09-24-2002, 03:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Smorgass Bored:</font><hr> Ronnie Alcano defeated Keith McCready 11-5. Larry Nevel d. Amar Kang 11-9, Joey Korsiak d. Howard Vickery 11-10, Rodney Morris d. Charlie Bryant 11-7. Buddy Hall won his opening match, while Grady Mathews, Jim Rempe and Nick Varner all lost their opening matches. Surprisingly, I counted AT LEAST five forfeits on opening day. What's up with that ? <hr></blockquote>

the forfeits i don't know about, but they are not out of it yet, as this is double elimination. with such a gigantic field of players, a few forfeits does not surprise me as some people probably tried to time the trip to the last minute. it happened to danny harriman at the WPC allowing pat holtz to get into the field. the funny thing for me was i was chatting online with pat the night before the round robins started till pretty late so i hope i didn't contribute to his poor showing the first day after getting an early morning phone call telling him he was in!

the more interesting thing to me is the "official" list of UPA players that would NOT be there. at least half of them were not gonna be there anyway, but they made a big deal of don polo breaking his 17 year streak in a press release, yet he is there. danny harriman is there. joey kersiak is there. frankie hernandez is there. jimmy wetch is there. i wonder, if you add up all the players who had previous obligations (ie asian games, which accounted for a significant portion of the players on the UPA list) the players that would not be going regardless (tony robles etc.), i really wonder how many players actually are not attending SPECIFICALLY because of the lack of UPA sanctioning, even after their smear campaign? now subtract the players in governing postitions (charlie, jeremy, max) and what are you left with? does anyone know if ginky would have gone if the UPA sanctioned it? or maybe teddy garrahan? i'm struggling to find anyone that really stood behind the UPA that even had a chance of placing well and that wasn't going anyway?

i wonder if anyone will believe a word the UPA says in the future. as the old TV commercial goes "sorry, charlie".

warren..

Lester
09-24-2002, 04:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Lester, true to form, you called it. Brady defeated "Bye". He's on his way!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve Lipsky with the first round victory, Way to go Steve!!!!!!!!

Kato <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Kato, I must have "ESPN", lol

It's "eerie, ain't it?".

***Lester ~doesn't understand why this "bye" guy even tries.

Lester
09-24-2002, 05:18 AM
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Kato, I also noticed Lil Ty Laha plowed his first opponent under as well. ***Lester***

MikeM
09-24-2002, 05:24 AM
Lester,
That's actually "Big" Ty Laha. Lil Ty is his son who is going to plow us under on Saturday. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

MM

Lester
09-24-2002, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> Lester,
That's actually "Big" Ty Laha. Lil Ty is his son who is going to plow us under on Saturday. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

MM <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Thanks for straightening that out Mike, Big Ty, Lil Ty, hell, even Bow Ty ---- if he plows us under we'll take away his key chain.
That'll show him. ha ha ***Lester***

09-24-2002, 06:09 AM
Brady Behrman

Lester
09-24-2002, 08:09 AM
Go Gettum Brady, we're all "pullin" for ya!! ***Lester***

09-24-2002, 08:14 AM
Do you or anyone else have a clickable link to the UPA list of players that they said weren't attending ?

nAz
09-24-2002, 08:16 AM
Well i want to see Brady match uo against Charlie williams should be a great fight err sorrry wrong sport

Rich R.
09-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Brady, if you beat Santos, we may have to reconsider your eligibility
for the CCB Tournament. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
But good luck anyway.
Rich R.

SPetty
09-24-2002, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Smorgass Bored:</font><hr> Do you or anyone else have a clickable link to the UPA list of players that they said weren't attending ? <hr></blockquote>At first I was disturbed by this question and started my response:

Did you even *try* the UPA web site?

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Then, as I'm making this reply, I realize that you are you and I like you even though you don't know me, and I seem to recall that you work with WebTV which probably limits some clicks or something, so that the silly popup box that the UPA site provides may not work for you. So, giving you that benefit of the doubt, here's a clickable link from the UPA web site:

http://www.upatour.com/winopen2k2.htm

How come the original post shows as "Anonymous" and the reply-to shows as "Smorgass Bored"??!?

09-24-2002, 11:09 AM
At first I was disturbed by this question and started my response: Did you even *try* the UPA web site? Then, as I'm making this reply, I realize that you are you and I like you even though you don't know me, and I seem to recall that you work with WebTV which probably limits some clicks or something, so that the silly popup box that the UPA site provides may not work for you. So, giving you that benefit of the doubt, here's a clickable link from the UPA web site: http://www.upatour.com/winopen2k2.htm How come the original post shows as "Anonymous" and the reply-to shows as "Smorgass Bored"??!? .... I was replying to a post by 'Anonymous'. Thanks for the link and for re-thinking about replying. I had looked all over for the UPA list (playpool.com, azbilliards, here and of course the UPA website) and as you suspected, I am on a 5 year old WebTV 'Classic' unit and it didn't give me any pop ups or a way to link to a list. I had heard (read) about the list and even had a friend that was going to e-mail me a copy (but he forgot and went out of town). I appreciate your effort to help me. Btw, I like you too.

Lester
09-24-2002, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> Brady, if you beat Santos, we may have to reconsider your eligibility
for the CCB Tournament. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
But good luck anyway.
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>Well darn Rich, you don't grow up in a ph and not learn how to play a little. Anyway, we can't ban him from the tournament, HE'S THE DIRECTOR!!!!!!***Lester***

Tom_In_Cincy
09-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Hope this helps, Smorg.
The list is not entirely accurate. Efern is committed to play in the Asian Games.. so is Busty

And, some of these players acutally changed their mind and are playing.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
The Following Will NOT Be Playing in the US Open
as of Aug 28,2002

Charlie Williams USA
Tony Robles USA
Max Eberle USA
Teddy Garrahan USA
Frankie Hernandez USA

as of Aug 29,2002

Mika Immonen FIN
Efren Reyes PHI
Frank Alvarez USA
Phil Muller USA
Jack Maginnis USA

as of Aug 30,2002

Jimmy Wetch USA
Danny Harriman USA
Jose Garcia USA
Tony Crosby ENG
Richard Broumpton ENG

as of Aug 31,2002

Wayne Catledge USA
George Sansouci USA
Joey Korsiak USA
Dennis Barella USA

as of Sept 1,2002

Jeff White CAN
Paul Potier CAN
Takeshi Okumura JAP
Kunihiko Takahashi JAP

as of Sept 2,2002

Satoshi Kawabata JAP
Fong-Pang Chao TAI
Chin Shun Yang TAI
Kun Fun Lee TAI
Shin Young Park KOR
Young Hwa Jeoung KOR

as of Sept. 3,2002
Jeremy Jones USA
Don Polo USA

updates will be posted as information becomes available <hr></blockquote>

09-24-2002, 02:35 PM
4:35 , 2 hrs 25 minutres til I play my first U.S.Open match ever.. Now I understand i will be playing on the finals table and am gonna be roasted by Scott Smith and pops...but...I gotta move for them.hahhaha I will explain later....lol

Thanks Guys and Gals!
Brady Behrman

09-24-2002, 06:35 PM
thats not lil ty thats ty, lil ty is his son, just so ya know /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

AzHousePro
09-24-2002, 06:58 PM
For all those wondering, Brady's match was postponed until 9PM. He is warming up on the table now.

Mike

AzHousePro
09-24-2002, 07:05 PM
Frankie Hernandez USA
Jimmy Wetch USA
Danny Harriman USA
Joey Korsiak USA
Don Polo USA

Present and accounted for.

09-24-2002, 07:48 PM
I won't get there til friday .. Hopefully Strickland , Morris , Stalev , Watson , Archer , and Coltrain will still be playin'

AzHousePro
09-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Brady and Santos matched up on the Accu-Stats table where Brady put the fear of god into Santos when he jumped out to a 1-0 lead.

Santos clawed back into the match and was finally able to catch up and defeat Brady 11-3.

Mike

Rod
09-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Mike I hope he is real warm. Ah, tell him to spot Santos a game, It'll make him concentrate more! LOL

Barbara
09-24-2002, 09:00 PM
Santos is in the same bracket as my horse.

Okay, no bets this time. I've never seen Santos, but the name warrants a look...

Barbara~~~go Mike go Mike go azBilliards...