PDA

View Full Version : Any stories from the US Open?

eg8r
10-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Since some of us don't look at the other site would a few of you be willing to pass on some stories from the Open?

eg8r

10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Not muc hto say. I only have a moment, so...

We had our 10th annual CCB event adn presented Barry & Shannon with a memorial plaque.

Not much action, but, Tony Watson showed up and beat Jason Klatt playing 9 ball, 9 ahead.

Darren Appleton goes 2 consecutive years without losing a single match, at the US Open.

Eric >more later

Rich R.
10-25-2011, 12:10 PM
The U.S. Open is exactly what you would expect it to be. It is the best players in the world playing 9-ball and they are great.

Probably the biggest story from the tournament, other than the winner, would be Larry Nevel shattering a shaft. He was playing Alex P. on the TV table and he was getting very frustrated. After a missed shot, he was walking back to his seat and he stuck his cue into the floor and the shaft shatter and pieces flew everywhere. You can find this on YouTube.

In his next match, against Dennis Hatch, Nevel was down 9-2 when he scratched early in the rack. Hatch picked up the cue ball and was looking at a shot when Nevel raked the balls and shook Hatch's hand, forfeiting the match at that point.

Nevel sure didn't represent his sponsors well at this tournament.

Fran Crimi
10-25-2011, 01:02 PM
That's really amazing about Darren Appleton going 2 consecutive years without losing a match in the Open. Wow! Really impressive!

dg-in-centralpa
10-25-2011, 02:59 PM
The final score wasn't really that close. Darren was leading 6-0 when he scratched on the break to give Shawn a chance. Darren played flawless. Shawn could never get into a rhythm.

Duane

Soflasnapper
10-25-2011, 05:22 PM
In a late week matchup, Alex Pagulayan skunked Warren Kiamco 11-0. When Warren was asked what happened, he said, 'he got lucky.'

Listening to the booth commentators, they mentioned that earlier this year Alex had entered the Canadian snooker championship, and beat the previous year's champion by a score of 6-0. When his opponent was asked for an explanation, he said that Alex had gotten lucky!

A lucky man, I guess! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Alex finished about 5th I think, and when he was done, he tied a few on. He held drunken court outside the venue, surrounded by his posse of friends and beautiful giggling Asian women. He favored us with a rap of sorts, some hip shaking, and suggestive lyrics ('oh how you hypnotize me,' rhymed with some trash talk. Later, at the CueMaster pool hall, he was even more drunk, but he seems a very friendly drunk.

See my separate thread on what and who I didn't see there for more scenarios.

Bambu
10-26-2011, 07:15 AM
I read about nevels hissy fit too. Based on what others have also said about him, Larry lacks self control. (No doubt a key ingredient to be a winner.) I cant believe they dont penalize players for such behavior. Dont they do that in every other sport, even hockey? By allowing this type of crap to go on, we are killing our beloved game. If I made the rules, nevel wouldnt be invited back next year.

Soon, this will be acceptable too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDQl-wKCrnc

Soflasnapper
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Some people told me that many tournaments would have DQ'd him for that behavior. Not sure if they meant just losing THAT match, or, as he was still on the winner side in that match, for the whole tournament.

Do you or anyone know whether that is true as a general matter, and if so, why that didn't occur in this case?

Brian in VA
10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
It's a bit of a judgement call on the part of the TD. Having gotten certified, I was taught that behavior such as this should receive a warning the first time and an unsportsmanlike conduct foul the second time.

If it were me, I'd have DQ'd that match on him. He swatted his cue a few times before that and would have gotten a warning from me before I did it.

Brian in VA (Yeah, I'm a butthead as a ref)

Soflasnapper
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Brian, to clarify, just that match, or DQ'd for the tournament as a whole (even though he'd still have just one loss after losing or being DQ'd from that match)?

Rich R.
10-27-2011, 05:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a bit of a judgement call on the part of the TD. Having gotten certified, I was taught that behavior such as this should receive a warning the first time and an unsportsmanlike conduct foul the second time.

If it were me, I'd have DQ'd that match on him. He swatted his cue a few times before that and would have gotten a warning from me before I did it.

Brian in VA (Yeah, I'm a butthead as a ref) </div></div>

Brian, I wouldn't consider you a butthead. I think players have to be held to a certain standard and snapping shafts isn't acceptable behavior. I would applaud you if you DQ'd him for his actions.

BTW, a short time ago I also witnessed Larry Nevel slam his cue stick to the floor at the Turning Stone Joss tournament. It's obvious that he thinks this behavior is alright. Until TD's start penalizing him for his actions, he will continue.

Brian in VA
10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian, to clarify, just that match, or DQ'd for the tournament as a whole (even though he'd still have just one loss after losing or being DQ'd from that match)? </div></div>

Typically it's loss of that match but if it's truly egregious, the TD can do whatever they think necessary.

I'd have forfeited him for that match.

Brian in VA

Tony_in_MD
10-27-2011, 03:06 PM
What about the post on AZ about the sounds coming from the missing microphone.

Any truth to that?

Rich R.
10-28-2011, 05:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the post on AZ about the sounds coming from the missing microphone.

Any truth to that? </div></div>
I didn't see the story on AZ, so I'm not sure what this is about. If there were any unusual sounds, I didn't hear them.

Brian in VA
10-28-2011, 07:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the post on AZ about the sounds coming from the missing microphone.

Any truth to that? </div></div>

I saw that story but I didn't hear anything even remotely like what they were describing. For those that didn't see it, the story was that someone grabbed one of the wireless mics from the convention center and then had it on while having sex (sounded like it) somewhere in the building. Yeah, right.

Brian in VA

Tony_in_MD
10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Sorta like Lassie in Porky's?

Tony ------&gt; Whenever I am feeling low, I watch that movie.

dg-in-centralpa
10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Porky's was a riot!